nacredambition

Sun 18 Aug, 2019 08:34 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
... slow day in heaven.

https://i2-prod.bristolpost.co.uk/incoming/article2770521.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/0_Can-you-see-the-silhouette-of-Jesus-in-this-picture-of-the-Notre-Dame-fire.png

I can't see Jesus but just above the blue circle, left I'm sure that's Timon and Pumbaa, and my clinical psychiatrist agrees.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTG9YGUHHkCPg3e4rdf2lcklasQfKM4rXr8RQ7rLtMDdVxjo1_j

Eye witness tales of seeing gods is so enthralling it's almost as good as seeing things.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sun 18 Aug, 2019 08:39 pm
0 Replies

hingehead

Thu 6 Feb, 2020 07:13 pm
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/d1/d8/ba/d1d8bad6d07cfbefac829f430b91e80c.jpg
glitterbag

Thu 6 Feb, 2020 07:40 pm
@hingehead,
made me laugh.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Thu 6 Feb, 2020 08:30 pm
Noah's Ark was like Santa's sled. Once the dove declared all was cool, it deposited each worm snail and kangaroo in just the spot the lord meant for them to have. All in the space of a cold snowy night. Then it crashed into Mt. Ararat.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Fri 7 Feb, 2020 06:07 am
It is funny how this thread... which at its beginning swore that Atheism is not a religion, has turned into a thread focused on insulting other religions.
Leadfoot

Fri 7 Feb, 2020 07:57 am
@maxdancona,
You’re an equal opportunity offender, I’ll give you that.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Fri 7 Feb, 2020 08:00 am
Read enough early posts and learn who corrupted the thread first.
Leadfoot

Fri 7 Feb, 2020 08:09 am
@edgarblythe,
Oh Edgar, Really? You’re going to say that 673 pages later..
edgarblythe

Fri 7 Feb, 2020 08:32 am
@Leadfoot,
I'm not going to get into it with you.
Leadfoot

Fri 7 Feb, 2020 08:33 am
@edgarblythe,
Thank you, it really wasn’t required.
0 Replies

hingehead

Sat 8 Feb, 2020 12:49 am
@maxdancona,
Or, is hitting back at fragile religious folk whose only avenue to attack a atheism is to equate it with a religion (because they subconsciously know how tenuous religion's relationship with reality is)

But you're strawmanning - this thread's origin was never that atheism is not a religion (that's just a given) it was about dealing with how the religious react to atheists - so at least you're confirming that original concern - kudos.
Leadfoot

Sat 8 Feb, 2020 06:39 am
@hingehead,
and of course, the reverse is true as well.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sat 8 Feb, 2020 02:33 pm
Lumping all atheists together is like lumping all religionists together--it ain't reality. The so-called strong atheists, the explicit atheists are the ones who act as though it were a religion. The so-called weak atheists, the implicit atheists, don't really give a rat's ass what others do or don't believe; which is to say, they are not making a religion of their lack of belief. According to Religious Tolerance dot Org, they are the majority of atheists.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sat 8 Feb, 2020 02:39 pm
From Religious Tolerance dot Org:

Quote:
Atheists were once regarded as a small minority among U.S. adults. Polling agencies have recently gave estimates of the percentage of atheist adults that ranged from 3% to 11%. However, these results only measure the percentage of Atheists who were willing to reveal their beliefs to a stranger over the telephone who claimed to be from an confidential polling agency. Because of the high level of prejudice against Atheists, only some -- perhaps a minority of -- Athests are willing to reveal this information to polling agencies.

One innovative survey was recently designed to allow those Atheists surveyed to reveal their religious beliefs safely and confidentially. The poll determined that 26% of U.S. adults are actually Atheists!

This is a link to Religious Tolerance dot Org's page on the different types of atheism.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sat 8 Feb, 2020 02:50 pm
I am firmly atheist. My wife fervently believes in a Christian god, although she does not show interest in church. In over 40 years together we have not had a single argument about it.
hingehead

Sun 9 Feb, 2020 12:25 am
@edgarblythe,
Mrs Hinge can't believe there's not something bigger or that we just end. I don't adhere to that view, that we're special on a cosmic scale.

We have never argued about it.

And we fervently agree that organise religion is guilty of some awful sins.
edgarblythe

Sun 9 Feb, 2020 12:54 am
@hingehead,
We don't ever bring it up. I just know my wife's thinking by how she reacts to things. For instance, when Sheldon on the TV show said, "I don't believe in god," she was visibly shocked. I kept quiet, but she avoids Sheldon now.
Olivier5

Sun 9 Feb, 2020 05:22 am
@edgarblythe,
I suppose your wife knows she married an atheist, right?
Leadfoot

Sun 9 Feb, 2020 05:52 am
@Olivier5,
Everyone denies reality at one time or another.