0 Replies

hingehead

Wed 28 Nov, 2018 08:15 pm
Didn't know where else to put this

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/fa/cc/c5/faccc54b2d3722f4a6494090fedb8291.jpg
cicerone imposter

Wed 28 Nov, 2018 08:40 pm
@hingehead,
God so loved the world, that he invented the nastiest of diseases and natural disasters to hit mankind.
0 Replies

Medusax

Sat 22 Dec, 2018 03:08 pm
@littlek,
I live in the bible belt, and trust me, there are many prostitutes, criminals and drug addicts among the bible bangers. I find them absurd.
cicerone imposter

Sat 22 Dec, 2018 03:38 pm
@Medusax,
Religion provides then with comfort, believing that there's a god "up there" that listens to the millions on this planet every second of every day.
0 Replies

Lash

Sun 23 Dec, 2018 02:57 pm
I am always so stricken when people on tv, Facebook, elsewhere intone these mindless platitudes “We Just prayed and we knew Jesus wouldn’t let anything happen to us,” wondering how many innocent children or people prayed as they were being murdered or maimed.

Do these people think they are somehow ‘more godly’ than a first grader with cancer, a fifth grader whose daddy comes in her room at night?

It’s so nonsensical.

hingehead

Sun 23 Dec, 2018 04:17 pm
@Lash,
Sports stars are the ones that piss me off - God helped me win this match - sheeit, don't fall off your ego.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sun 23 Dec, 2018 07:23 pm
How come Jesus never looks like a Jew?
cicerone imposter

Sun 23 Dec, 2018 07:55 pm
@Setanta,
What does a Jew look like?
hingehead

Sun 23 Dec, 2018 08:21 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Not to speak on behalf of Set, but I believe he meant 'Jews' in the classical sense https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jews i.e. the the religioethnic group formed from the Israelites and the Hebrews during the second millenium BCE - with physical characteristics probably best approximated by the Druze and Assyrians of the Northern Levant and Northern Mesopotamia today (Reference) - as opposed to the modern use (anyone who practices Judaism, or has Jewish ancestry) which applies to a cultural/religious group post-diaspora as opposed to an ethnicity pre-diaspora.

Or in short "why does Jesus often have blue eyes and blond hair in western art, when he was an ethnic jew in the levant 2k years ago?"

cicerone imposter

Sun 23 Dec, 2018 09:18 pm
@hingehead,
Thank you. I used to be a christian, and all my siblings still are. I visited Israel twice, and also the Druze. Meet the Druze: A Unique Community in Israel

JUNE 26, 2014 BY J.G.S EDITOR LEAVE A COMMENT

By Tom Brennan
The Druze occupy a unique position in Israel, not only as a people but a religion. The Druze do not accept converts, send missionaries or consider themselves a part of any other faith. They are a genuinely separate group that combines key elements of Judaism, Christianity and Islam and adds things found in Greek and Egyptian philosophies and even Hinduism. Their numbers and population are kept intact by their separateness and families. Their religious tenents are secret and are not open to nonbelievers. They number about one million worldwide and there are about 104,000 in Israel. Their home ground in Israel is mostly in the Galilee and Golan region. They also serve in the IDF and are genuinely a unique people. The Knesset has granted a modicum to their unique structure by allowing them their own courts for certain legal processes such as marriage issues.

After college, I went to work for Florsheim Shoe as a Field Auditor, and worked there for some six years. Just as a note, a couple other companies I worked for were owned by Jews. My only wish has been to take my sister to Israel, because she is so religious. I have taken her to Egypt and Jordan.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sun 23 Dec, 2018 11:18 pm
@hingehead,
Maybe he meant with a patch over the eye, like Moshe Dayan.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Mon 24 Dec, 2018 12:29 am
Jesus probably looked more like Yasser Arafat than Robert Powell.
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 24 Dec, 2018 07:38 am
@hingehead,
Bingo, give that man a cee-gar.
0 Replies

hingehead

Tue 8 Jan, 2019 11:03 pm
Correlation is not causation, but still....

https://i.imgur.com/bXtSmM8.jpg

I'd want to go back to the two data sources and look at the methodology.
Olivier5

Wed 9 Jan, 2019 05:18 am
@hingehead,
China ought to be the most atheistic country in the world.
Leadfoot

Wed 9 Jan, 2019 08:42 am
@Olivier5,
Contrary to the MEME, it is also very peaceful. Maybe an enforced peace, but peace nonetheless.

And one religion's most prominent figure didn't promise peace here anyway. Quite the opposite actually.
Olivier5

Thu 10 Jan, 2019 06:31 am
@Leadfoot,
Not "contrary" if the meme is atheist=peaceful.

I don't buy that atheists are necessarily more peaceful than religious people, by the way. China did invade Tibet for instance.
Leadfoot

Thu 10 Jan, 2019 08:00 am
@Olivier5,
Just say'n that China is comparatively peaceful country (contrary to the MEME).
China is now invading many countries with money (loans).
U.S., Russia, Saudis, etc tend to do it with bombs and bullets.
Not sure which does more harm. Anyway, don't see any positive correlation with religion. Sounds like bashing.
0 Replies

hingehead

Mon 21 Jan, 2019 08:24 pm
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/30/5a/33/305a33c279cdd5402d57873951167293.jpg