eurocelticyankee

Wed 2 Nov, 2016 03:35 am
There are so many threads on this site about religion and atheism, so much back and forth, (hot air).
Makes me wonder through all this discourse, (hot air) if somebody actually changed their point of view.
Have any atheists been converted or have any god fearing folk lost their belief?.

I doubt it very much.

So what's the point, probably better off discussing something you could all agree on, is there such a something?.
Global warming maybe, oh no scratch that, maybe gun control, hmm maybe not, gay rights oops, don't go there....

Water is wet, you cant argue with that, can you????? .... probably.
Leadfoot

Wed 2 Nov, 2016 04:18 am
@eurocelticyankee,
Quote:

Water is wet, you cant argue with that, can you?????

Wrong! Only in a very narrow range of temperature and pressure. In the vast majority of the universe it is not wet.

Get the idea now euro?
eurocelticyankee

Wed 2 Nov, 2016 04:44 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
Get the idea now euro?

There you go.

Everything has to be confrontational, a snipe here and a sneer there.
Leadfoot

Wed 2 Nov, 2016 04:49 am
@eurocelticyankee,
Welcome to Interzone euro.
izzythepush

Wed 2 Nov, 2016 06:06 am
@Leadfoot,
Interzone's a lot more fun, plenty of dope and dodgy croakers like Benway.
Leadfoot

Wed 2 Nov, 2016 06:53 am
@izzythepush,
Agreement! Great movie.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Wed 2 Nov, 2016 07:36 am
@Setanta,
And more humans post in this thread than Americans.
eurocelticyankee

Wed 2 Nov, 2016 12:52 pm
@maxdancona,
Humans, Americanos what does it matter. They're all nuts these days.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 2 Nov, 2016 01:15 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:
have any god fearing folk lost their belief?.

three of us (that I know of) have spoken to loss of belief as a result of discussions here and at Abuzz (one of the A2k predecessor sites)

___
edit:

On my part, it came from realizing that belief was completely indefensible and that knowledge was impossible.
eurocelticyankee

Wed 2 Nov, 2016 01:34 pm
@ehBeth,
Aye, it's a no brainer.

How people surrender their free will to organised religion is beyond me.
Early conditioning is how they get them.

That said, I cant dismiss the idea of a greater being, but anybody or any religious ethos that claims to understand or represent that greater being are either misguided, deluded or charlatans.

God love them.
cicerone imposter

Wed 2 Nov, 2016 01:39 pm
@ehBeth,
I lost my belief during my young teens when I read the story of the world flood. We are all "sinners."
Thou shalt not kill, but kill when your siblings do not believe in me!
Quote:
Deuteronomy 17
If there be found among you, within any of thy gates which the LORD thy God giveth thee, man or woman, that hath wrought wickedness in the sight of the LORD thy God, in transgressing his covenant; 17:3 And hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them, either the sun, or moon, or any of the host of heaven, which I have not commanded; 17:4 And it be told thee, and thou hast heard of it, and enquired diligently, and, behold, it be true, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought in Israel; 17:5 Then shalt thou bring forth that man or that woman, which have committed that wicked thing, unto thy gates, even that man or that woman, and shalt stone them with stones, till they die.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Wed 2 Nov, 2016 02:17 pm
In my case, I wavered from being a highly involved catholic (up until I was eighteen or so, to an 'I think I believe person', the think I believe getting weaker, in my beginning twenties. Then came the atheist boyfriend I was crazy about (that didn't work out, as I might revert back to catholicism, and I see his and his families' point of view though at the time it about killed me.) I still didn't completely ditch the whole religion thing until I read an article in the National Catholic Reporter (or a similar name) regarding an argument over of all things, IUDs, by Hans Kung and the guy who became Pope Benedict, Joseph Ratzinger. That did it. I folded the newspaper and was completely done, saying to myself, I don't buy any of this rigamarole. It was the straw that broke the camel. That was probably in '66. A different road taken.

I've said all this before here, but am speaking up again now because it is pleasant, in a thread created to have a place for atheists to talk, the non believers get to be beset by what Set calls godbotherers. I get that in a usual religion thread, but not one specifically started as a community of similar thinkers. F'king rude.
I never invade religious threads.
eurocelticyankee

Wed 2 Nov, 2016 02:33 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Them feckin atheist boyfriends, always causing trouble.

Sure who needs religion when we've got music and moonlight and love and romance lets face death and dance.

No hurry on the latter.

ossobucotemp

Wed 2 Nov, 2016 03:05 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
The ship had been slowly sailing away before the boyfriend, but he made a lot of sense, a captivating thing in a friend or boyfriend. Knowing him was like freeing shackles.

Something you might understand - when I introduced him to my mother, who was Boston Irish, and said his name, last name Cohen, she picked up on him as irish (which Cohan can be) and smiling.. and then his explaining no.

I remember mentally cringing that she said that..
I should explain: my father and mother were early workers in Hollywood, and during a lot of their years, the people involved were often either jewish or irish, and from my childhood and teen observations, got along, from what I saw. I don't take her, in memory, as biased, but she especially liked the irish.

Heh, I never mentioned his atheism, nor my then almost-agreement.
eurocelticyankee

Wed 2 Nov, 2016 03:10 pm
@ossobucotemp,
She had good taste your Mother. The boyfriends first name wasn't Leonard was it Oso?
ossobucotemp

Wed 2 Nov, 2016 03:17 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
I'm trying not to hurry.
eurocelticyankee

Wed 2 Nov, 2016 03:21 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Me too Oso, me too.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Wed 2 Nov, 2016 03:24 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
No, it wasn't.

But I'm thinking of Leonard for the Next Nobel. Well, that's silly, he is already dear to many of us. I killed two of his first album, on blue disks - I played them so many times.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Wed 2 Nov, 2016 03:31 pm
I'll add that she had at least one bias: not fond of Protestants.

I haven't run across anyone that disliked Protestants in a lot of years, but that may be related to where I have lived. I should add, my mother was born in 1901.
izzythepush

Thu 3 Nov, 2016 01:39 am
@ossobucotemp,
The animosity is still very strong in Northern Ireland despite the peace talks.

This is a wall between the two communities.

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/640/media/images/66916000/jpg/_66916969_66916946.jpg

In contrast here is the border between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland.

http://img.thesun.co.uk/aidemitlum/archive/02671/01_03125622_244a91_2671161a.jpg