Thu 9 Apr, 2015 11:32 am
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Thu 9 Apr, 2015 11:33 am
layman

Thu 9 Apr, 2015 11:33 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I don't have "beliefs"...and despite the fact that so many people, including you, indicate that everyone has "beliefs"...I DO NOT

Nobody really takes all the semantic quibbling that seriously, Frank.

You seem to propose that you, personally, either "know" (absolutely, without possibility of debate or question, etc.) something or else guess at it.

But, as I have pointed out, knowledge itself, by all common accounts, necessarily includes belief.

You can believe something without knowing it, but you cannot be said to "know" something without also believing it.

Plato set the criteria for what has become the standard for evaluating "knowledge" in western culture thousands of years ago.

He said that knowledge was "justified true belief." In order to conclude that one "knows" any given proposition: (1) the proposition must be true, (2) the person asserting knowledge of the proposition must believe it, and (3) his belief must be justified (not based on "guesses").
edgarblythe

Thu 9 Apr, 2015 11:34 am
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Thu 9 Apr, 2015 11:46 am
@layman,
Quote:
Nobody really takes all the semantic quibbling that seriously, Frank.

I want to call my guesses...guesses. You apparently want me to call my guesses...beliefs.

And you are suggesting that there is some semantic quibbling going on with ME???

Perhaps you ought to get serious, Layman.

Quote:
You seem to propose that you, personally, either "know" (absolutely, without possibility of debate or question, etc.) something or else guess at it.

No...I do not do anything of the sort.

Sometimes I know (as best I can)...sometimes I estimate...sometimes I suppose...sometimes I conjecture...sometimes I deduce...sometimes I presume...sometimes I imagine...sometimes I postulate...sometimes I approximate...and sometimes I guess.

What do you see so wrong with me calling all those things what they are? Why are you suggesting that I must use "I believe" instead?

Quote:
But, as I have pointed out, knowledge itself, by all common accounts, necessarily includes belief.

You are free to suppose that, but I would prefer to suppose that knowledge itself does not "necessarily include belief"...but rather almost always includes
estimates, suppositions, conjectures, deductions, presumptions, imagination, postulates, approximations, and (often) guesses.

You do not get the final say to dictate that it must necessarily include "belief."

We good?
Olivier5

Thu 9 Apr, 2015 11:46 am
@argome321,
We can very well survive without a belief in gods, of course, but we still have all sorts of other beliefs to keep us moving. That's my only point: beliefs are A-okay. therefore, there's nothing wrong with an atheist believing there are no gods.
layman

Thu 9 Apr, 2015 11:49 am
@layman,
Quote:
You do not get the final say to dictate that it must necessarily include "belief

I don't claim to, but I did elaborate on my reasons for saying that by adding to my previous post, as follows:

Quote:
Plato set the criteria for what has become the standard for evaluating "knowledge" in western culture thousands of years ago.

He said that knowledge was "justified true belief." In order to conclude that one "knows" any given proposition: (1) the proposition must be true, (2) the person asserting knowledge of the proposition must believe it, and (3) his belief must be justified (not based on "guesses").

layman

Thu 9 Apr, 2015 11:51 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
And you are suggesting that there is some semantic quibbling going on with ME???

I would merely suggest that anybody who wants to can call a cat a "dog," but that the cat will not thereby become a dog.
Frank Apisa

Thu 9 Apr, 2015 11:52 am
@layman,
Bring Plato on...and I will argue with him.

If not...I would suggest you not argue with an appeal to authority.

It sucks.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Thu 9 Apr, 2015 11:53 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

Quote:

I would merely suggest that anybody who wants to can call a cat a "dog," but that the cat will not thereby become a dog.

What problem do you have with me calling my guesses...guesses?

The cat and dog thing was amateurish, Layman.
argome321

Thu 9 Apr, 2015 11:57 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
We can very well survive without a belief in gods, of course, but we still have all sorts of other beliefs to keep us moving. That's my only point: beliefs are A-okay. therefore, there's nothing wrong with an atheist believing there are no gods.

I think you and I are just going around inc circles Very Happy
layman

Thu 9 Apr, 2015 12:00 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

I don't have any particular "problem" with it. I think I know what you're driving at with that line.

But this whole thing goes far beyond what YOU call YOUR own conclusions. You seem to have immense problems with anyone who doesn't adopt your idiosyncrasies about the word "belief."

PS: Like others here, I also think that your constants assertions that you do not "do believing" must ignore common usage to be considered accurate.
Olivier5

Thu 9 Apr, 2015 12:02 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
why not just stop making those suggestions?

You must have confused me with someone else. I am not suggesting anything, just saying things the way I see them. And the way I see them, you cannot change, so it would be unwise to ask you to change.
Frank Apisa

Thu 9 Apr, 2015 12:08 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Quote:

I don't have any particular "problem" with it. I think I know what you're driving at with that line.

But this whole thing goes far beyond what YOU call YOUR own conclusions. You seem to have immense problems with anyone who adopt your idiosyncrasies about the word "belief."

No I do not!

Yes, I think using words other than "believe" or "belief" has lots of value...and I do try to explain why I feel that way...

...but I feel that voting for people who are likely to protect and expand safety net programs is a valuable thing also ...and I push for that all the time (as do you.) Nothing wrong with that.

What is wrong with me having strong feelings on the "believe" versus "guess, estimate, suppose" thing...and pushing for that.

That is what an Internet forum is for.

You seem to have an immense problem with me being of that opinion, Layman. I have no problem with people who do not agree with me...and often mention that I understand their disagreement. But you (and some of the others) seem intent on insisting that I MUST use "belief" rather than guess...when I am making a guess. You folk seem intent on telling me that I MUST HAVE BELIEFS.

Why?
Frank Apisa

Thu 9 Apr, 2015 12:10 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
why not just stop making those suggestions?

You must have confused me with someone else. I am not suggesting anything, just saying things the way I see them. And the way I see them, you cannot change, so it would be unwise to ask you to change.

Why do you see a need for me to change on this issue?

What makes you think that if I started calling my guesses "beliefs"...that I would be a better person...or whatever?
layman

Thu 9 Apr, 2015 12:13 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
But you (and some of the others) seem intent on insisting that I MUST use "belief" rather than guess...when I am making a guess. You folk seem intent on telling me that I MUST HAVE BELIEFS.

Why?

You're taking it wrong, Frank. I don't care what words you use, but if you're adamant about using a word in a way that entails an unusual meaning, then that needs to be explained (as you have done).

I didn't even begin to try to tell you what words you MUST use. I simply noted the difference between your definition and "common usage." By the standard of common usage, I would say that you do, in fact, have beliefs, whether you want to acknowledge it, or not.

Olivier5

Thu 9 Apr, 2015 12:20 pm
@Frank Apisa,
It's just a word. Using or not using it will not make you a better or worse person. It doesn't matter, really... As long as you don't expect others to agree with you, you should be fine.

Also if you could avoid cluttering the board with that single issue, that'd be great. Otherwise, well... there's always the ignore button.
Frank Apisa

Thu 9 Apr, 2015 12:20 pm
@layman,
Quote:
I didn't even begin to try to tell you what words you MUST use. I simply noted the difference between your definition and "common usage." By the standard of common usage, I would say that you do, in fact, have beliefs, whether you want to acknowledge it, or not.

Well...by insisting that my guesses and conjectures and suppositions are actually "beliefs"...I guess you would win that by default.

I DO NOT HAVE BELIEFS, Layman...whether you insist I have or not. If you want to call your guesses, conjectures, suppositions..."beliefs"...then you do have "beliefs."

I have the sense of respect for you NOT to insist that you refrain from using "belief" for some of the guesses, conjectures, suppositions and inclinations or desires you have.

Not sure why you cannot show me that same respect...but we can go on to something else and find agreement there.

Live long and prosper.
Frank Apisa

Thu 9 Apr, 2015 12:23 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

It's just a word. Using or not using it will not make you a better or worse person. It doesn't matter, really... As long as you don't expect others to agree with you, you should be fine.

Also if you could avoid cluttering the board with that single issue, that'd be great. Otherwise, well... there's always the ignore button.

Put me on IGNORE if you choose.

I speak on dozens of issues here, Olivier...undoubtedly on as many and diverse a grouping as you do.

I am not cluttering the board with a single issue...in fact, I am not cluttering the board at all.