timur

Wed 8 Apr, 2015 07:59 am
Frank wrote:
(Why am I reminded of Sarah Parlin telling us what a "real American" is?)

Your cultural references are quite distinct from mine.

Palin is completely alien to me in every sense.
0 Replies

layman

Wed 8 Apr, 2015 08:02 am
@layman,
Quote:
"Atheism is usually defined incorrectly as a belief system. Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods"

Hmm, that's interesting. So, then, what is a person with a "belief system" that denies gods? A "theist," that it?

Any atheist (or anybody, actually) have an answer for that question?

I'm still tryin to figure out what a "real atheist" is, eh?
0 Replies

hingehead

Wed 8 Apr, 2015 08:06 am
Laughing at the line of reasoning that equates a belief in gods with a disbelief in gods. Do you seriously think that without socioculturisation your offspring would believe in the same gods as you? Yet atheists seem to pop out of all sociocultural backgrounds ungroomed.
Frank Apisa

Wed 8 Apr, 2015 08:39 am
@timur,
timur wrote:

Frank wrote:
How these kinds of atheist get from "I lack a belief in a god" to "I lack beliefs" is a mystery to me. Most of them, by what they say...do indeed have a "belief" that no gods exist. Which is to say, they are not lacking "belief"...but just lacking a belief in gods.

Some atheists are much stronger...and assert that there are no gods...the same way some theists assert there is a GOD.

This is why I am laughing at Timur pretending he is going to explain what a real atheist is...because atheists, like almost everything else in this world, come in all shapes and sizes.

So, you should avoid talking about subjects that are a mystery to you.

What a lame thing to say.

We all explore things that are mysterious, Timur...except maybe someone like you...who seems to "know" everything.

When are you going to explain what "a real atheist" is?

Quote:
If you don't understand stuff, why are you pretending "to know"?

Earth calling Timur...Earth calling Timur.

I probably mention that "I do not know" more than anyone in this forum...and certainly much, much more than you.

Why would you make up something like "why are you pretending to know"...when you could make up something more realistic?

You are a howl! I love ya.

Quote:
I told you already what a real atheist is but you didn't acknowledge it, sidestepping as usual.

No...you did not tell us...or explain to us. There is nothing to sidestep from this side.

But I do notice that YOU sidestepped my comment:

Quote:
Just for the hell of it...let me see you type the words, "There may be a god" or "It is possible there is a god." Put the thought into your own words so we know you are not just cutting and pasting.

C'mon. It should be a piece of cake for someone for whom god is an alien concept!

C'mon, Timur. Handle that. Think of the joy your handling it will bring to the people laughing at it.

Quote:

Your system of beliefs is one based on treachery.

One...I have no system of beliefs. You seem to have one. Perhaps that is what you are thinking of.

Secondly, the "treachery" was precious...absolutely precious...despite the fact that it is trite.

Thanks for that. Still morning...laughs are the best waker-uppers!

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Wed 8 Apr, 2015 08:45 am
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

Laughing at the line of reasoning that equates a belief in gods with a disbelief in gods. Do you seriously think that without socioculturisation your offspring would believe in the same gods as you? Yet atheists seem to pop out of all sociocultural backgrounds ungroomed.

I certainly am not equating "disbelief" with "belief"...nor an absence of "belief" with "belief."

But there are some atheists who actually "BELIEVE" there are no gods.

Some people here in A2K "believe" there are no gods.

While you are correct that "I believe..." and "I do not believe..." are different...

...there is precious little difference (except for direction) between "I believe there is a GOD" and "I believe there is no GOD."

Both are "beliefs."

That comparison, Hinge, is valid.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 8 Apr, 2015 11:40 am
This entire discussion about atheist beliefs is wrongfooted. There's nothing wrong with believing in something, and atheists should not be ashamed of having beliefs. Anyone pretending he has no beliefs -- like Frank and a few agnostics/atheists here are doing -- is just playing with words or ignoring reality. Or both.
Frank Apisa

Wed 8 Apr, 2015 11:50 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

This entire discussion about atheist beliefs is wrongfooted. There's nothing wrong with believing in something, and atheists should not be ashamed of having beliefs. Anyone pretending he has no beliefs -- like Frank and a few agnostics/atheists here are doing -- is just playing with words or ignoring reality. Or both.

I have no beliefs...and I don't need someone like you pretending to know that I do. I am not playing with words...and I am not ignoring reality...or both.

I love ya, Olivier...but if you want to start a war with me again...it is going to end up like all the others have...with you looking up from the bottom of a deep hole wondering, "How the hell did I get down here again?"

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS4feSTyN-Pf-f01uJbS1__kxvwbhMKPqVxj-eTx_O1xYFjC9v9
I agree, however, that there is nothing wrong with "believing" in something...certainly nothing to be ashamed of. If you want to blindly guess there are no gods...and proclaim that as "believing there are no gods"...do it.

Me...I do not do "believing." If I were to guess one way or the other on that issue...I would be man enough to call it a guess.

argome321

Wed 8 Apr, 2015 12:11 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:

Does this sound more to your liking?

I believe that I have no belief in god(s). This statement sounds less true to me.This sounds less authentic to me.

HMM..but the truth is I know I have no belief in god(s)

It isn't a statement about no belief, It is a statement about not having a belief in god(s) We are talking about a specific concept concerning the existence of an entity.

I have many beliefs.
God(s) just happen not to be one of them.
God(s) is not the total concept of all things.

Olivier5

Wed 8 Apr, 2015 02:49 pm
@Frank Apisa,
If you want to blindly guess that you have no belief, do it.
Olivier5

Wed 8 Apr, 2015 02:52 pm
@argome321,
Quote:
the truth is I know I have no belief in god(s)

That may be true but you have some other beliefs, like we all do.
argome321

Wed 8 Apr, 2015 02:55 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:

We all have beliefs but the topic here is about god(s) not other things.
Olivier5

Wed 8 Apr, 2015 02:59 pm
@argome321,
That's not the topic of this thread... It's the topic some idiots here peddle because they feel comfortable peddling it again and again. Boring and useless.
argome321

Wed 8 Apr, 2015 03:07 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
That's not the topic of this thread... It's the topic some idiots here peddle because they feel comfortable peddling it again and again. Boring and useless.

It isn't? Its' title says Atheism. Then ooPs my bad
Olivier5

Wed 8 Apr, 2015 03:15 pm
@argome321,
No, this thread isn't about gods, as anyone can check by reading the OP.
argome321

Wed 8 Apr, 2015 03:23 pm
@Olivier5,
Littlek's thread

Quote:
I know there are other threads about atheism, but they tend to be focused somewhat specifically to some argument or subtopic. I'd like this thread to be open for constructive conversation, sharing of ideas and resources, etc.

One big issue that some friends and I feel is weird is that religious people seem to feel that we are persecuting them. I can't see how that could be given that we represent such a small minority of any population. If anything, it is we who are persecuted.

It seems pretty general and not specific and it is under Atheism.
argome321

Wed 8 Apr, 2015 03:26 pm
@argome321,
Is this thread considered Hallow ground?
Frank Apisa

Wed 8 Apr, 2015 03:30 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

If you want to blindly guess that you have no belief, do it.

I don't have to blindly guess that I do not do "believing."

I know that I do not do believing.
Frank Apisa

Wed 8 Apr, 2015 03:30 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
the truth is I know I have no belief in god(s)

No...not everyone.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Wed 8 Apr, 2015 03:31 pm
@argome321,
argome321 wrote:

Quote:

We all have beliefs but the topic here is about god(s) not other things.

Do not assume for one second that we all have beliefs.

Olivier5

Wed 8 Apr, 2015 03:35 pm
@argome321,
Not at all. Just flagging that the topic of what beliefs atheists hold has been beaten to death. It's been used on A2K basically to piss people off and pretend that a certain group of people (pick whichever you like most) is inherently superior to some other group of people (pick whichever you like least) based on their beliefs or alleged absence. It's a form a religious war between non-believers.