layman

Mon 23 Mar, 2015 12:23 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
ask, “East coast or West coast Foreskin, Sir or Madam?”... When they tell ya…you say…ahhh, West Coast

Very amusing, and clever, Frank. But I wouldn't do that my own damn self. To me that's just one more way of pretending that you know something you don't.

I would just say: "I have no idea what that is, but I'll be glad to mix one for you if you know what you want in it."
layman

Mon 23 Mar, 2015 12:31 pm
@layman,
Quote:
If they ask, so what’s the difference between the West and East Coast ones…you say something like…East coast has a dash of Coke

And therein lies the pitfall to pretense. As soon as you say that, you are implying that you also know every other ingredient (which you don't). So he says "Leave out the coke." Now what?

PS. I guess you meant that you could say that AFTER he has already told you the other ingredients. Yeah, ya could do that...
layman

Mon 23 Mar, 2015 12:43 pm
Anyway, to continue in the vein of what some say is supposed to be the exclusive theme of this thread (if I understand what the claim is--which I'm not sure I do), let me "share" an aspect of my experience as a non-believer in traditional religion:

After a few early encounters, I decided, long ago, as a matter of general principle, not to "debate" the validity of any claims made any particular religious sect. At least not in the context of trying to "dispute" their claims, whatever they may be, with one of the faithful.

I can't think of a less interesting or less worthwhile thing to do with my time. I feel no need to try to "shame" them, ridicule them, prove them wrong, and generally try to assert my "superior widom" about the topic. I now leave that to others.

0 Replies

Olivier5

Mon 23 Mar, 2015 12:44 pm
@layman,
Frank meant to say he's got no clue on relativity.
layman

Mon 23 Mar, 2015 12:50 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Frank meant to say he's got no clue on relativity.

Yeah, that's what I gathered too, Ollie. At least he's being honest. I just responded in the way I did as an incidental comment.
Olivier5

Mon 23 Mar, 2015 12:56 pm
@layman,
I realize I tend to clarify the obvious... I see a lot of misunderstanding on A2K, some by mistake, some on purpose.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Mon 23 Mar, 2015 01:09 pm
@layman,
The aim of the story is not to try to fool anyone, Layman (no one is going to be fooled by that hokey gimmick)...but rather to do the bartenders main job...which is to put a smile on a customer's face.

That (putting a smile on a customer's face) is important...as important as knowing how to keep attentive so nobody has to wait for a drink...or when to be an ear for someone to talk into.

Handled properly, hokey gimmicks like that are tools the bartender uses to make customers like the bar and want to become a regular...which in turn makes more money for the owner (your employer)...and better tips for you.

And of course, the reason I told it here was to put a smile on your face and on Olivier's...knowing that I was using a hokey gimmick to say I do not know diddly squat about special relativity.
layman

Mon 23 Mar, 2015 01:17 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
the bartenders main job...which is to put a smile on a customer's face.

I was a bartender once. For a couple of days, anyway, until I got fired. I thought a bartender's main job was to steal from the till and short-change people, and, of course, making them smile does help accomplish that main task. It distracts them, and makes it seem as though you're a "good guy."

Worked out pretty good for me, while it lasted. They would end up tipping me for short-changing them--if they had any change left, anyway.
layman

Mon 23 Mar, 2015 02:13 pm
Another general observation I will share. A lot of people don't have a particularly high opinion of atheists, and that includes a lot of people who define themselves as "agnostic." By "atheist" I mean one who believes "there is, and can be, no god(s)."

But the "low opinion" I have seen is not directed to the theological position (atheism) itself, really. It is more the practices of some of its more outspoken and fervent adherents than generates the "low opinion."

As I've noted in prior posts, "atheism" becomes virtually its own religion to some. And from that point on, it's hard to distinguish them from theists in some ways. It begins to take on the appearance of one know-it-all battling another know-it-all, and that is not pretty. As David Hume observed once:

Quote:
“Disputes between men pertinaciously obstinate in their principles are the most irksome. The same blind adherence to their own arguments is to be expected in both; the same contempt of their antagonists; and the same passionate vehemence in enforcing sophistry and falsehood and, as reasoning is not the source from whence either disputant derives his tenets, it is in vain to expect that any logic, which speaks not to the affections, will ever engage him to embrace sounder principles.”

timur

Mon 23 Mar, 2015 02:26 pm
@layman,
That quote by David Hume applies perfectly to the load of crap you don't cease to utter.

Frank has been vomiting the same crap for years.

As far as I'm concerned, atheism is not a belief but instead an absence of beliefs.

How revealing that Christians tend to think atheism is a belief, they cannot think outside the box.
Setanta

Mon 23 Mar, 2015 02:27 pm
Another typical sneer at atheists, and one we've had in this thread before. The atheists who are so militant as to be the equivalent to the religiously devout are the lunatic fringe of atheists--rather like Southern Baptist preachers.
layman

Mon 23 Mar, 2015 02:29 pm
@timur,
Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, atheism is not a belief but instead an absence of beliefs.

If you think that about atheism, as I defined it above, then you seem to misunderstand what a "belief" is.
Setanta

Mon 23 Mar, 2015 02:29 pm
This thread is, as it has been almost since its inception, thoroughly trashed. For that we can thank the fanatical theists and agnostics. They can never leave well enough alone.
timur

Mon 23 Mar, 2015 02:33 pm
@layman,
It's very usual from uneducated and/or religious fanatics to assume that people of different opinions don't understand.

Living with stances so far apart doesn't help.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Mon 23 Mar, 2015 02:33 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
This thread is, as it has been almost since its inception, thoroughly trashed.

If it wasn't, it is now, thanks to you.
0 Replies

layman

Mon 23 Mar, 2015 02:35 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Another typical sneer at atheists,..

As usual, you read rather selectively. You ignore this part of what I said:

Quote:
But the "low opinion" I have seen is not directed to the theological position (atheism) itself, really.
timur

Mon 23 Mar, 2015 02:37 pm
@layman,
Well, your low opinion about atheists is still higher than mine about you.
layman

Mon 23 Mar, 2015 02:40 pm
@timur,
Quote:
Well, your low opinion about atheists is still higher than mine about you.

Congratulations, Timur! Want a cookie?
coldjoint

Mon 23 Mar, 2015 02:42 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Congratulations, Timur! Want a cookie?

http://www.alien-earth.com/images/smileys/s374.gif
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Mon 23 Mar, 2015 02:45 pm
Ahhh...ya kicked the hornet's nest, did ya, Layman.

Amazing...we have forum here where the majority of the members claim to be atheists...but while we have scads of people who "believe" there is a GOD...we have almost nobody here who "believes" there are no gods.

Strange.

Strange enough for Ripley.
0 Replies