Frank Apisa

Tue 25 Nov, 2014 05:32 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Why bother? I quoted and linked the post where you brought up that drivel about h.s.s. exterminating other hominids, and got no comment. I'm no more going to jump through hoops for your idiocy than i'm going to play Frank's idiot games.

The reason you are not going to play my games, Setanta...is because you realize you were totally wrong in what you said...

...and you just seem unable to every acknowledge that you were wrong.

That is what you do...you charge other people with doing what you do all the time. How many times have we heard you lamenting about the "snottiness" of someone...who was just responding to your regular and consistent nastiness?

You know what I am saying. You may be trying to ignore me...but I'm right here.

And you look like a fool in this particular instance...because I've proven you wrong.

Here's a sixth:

Quote:
I was answering "no" to your question, "Executions are not legal." Not sure how I ended up adding that last part...but I was wrong.

I apologize.

http://able2know.org/topic/237065-45#post-5630147
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Thu 27 Nov, 2014 03:24 am
man o man, this place seems to be fool of naughty little children!!!!

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Thu 27 Nov, 2014 09:31 am
**** people that try to find ways and reasons to keep me from being an atheist. I don't have to justify myself to these morons.
Frank Apisa

Thu 27 Nov, 2014 09:44 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

**** people that try to find ways and reasons to keep me from being an atheist. I don't have to justify myself to these morons.

I doubt anyone here is trying to find ways and reasons to keep you from being an atheist, Edgar. Most of us are just here for some discussion and conversation.

Have a great Thanksgiving, Charles. I'm going to eat too damn much...I hope you do not make that same mistake. (Especially the crisp, cholesterol inducing, but super delicious turkey skin.)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Mon 1 Dec, 2014 08:02 pm
http://blog.dmcleish.id.au/pics/billboard-allsouls-kleenex.jpg
Kolyo

Mon 1 Dec, 2014 08:30 pm
@edgarblythe,
I love the minister's line at the end of this clip from The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill But Came Down a Mountain.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Mon 15 Dec, 2014 10:08 pm
Here is a guy I never heard of before tonight. I haven't read any of his stuff. Thought some of you might be interested to read about him.

Armin Navabi is a former Muslim from Iran and the founder of Atheist Republic, a non-profit organization with over one million fans and followers worldwide that is dedicated to offering a safe community for atheists around the world to share their ideas and meet like-minded individuals.

Armin was born and raised in the Islamic Republic of Iran and was indoctrinated thoroughly in the Muslim tradition. After almost losing his life in the pursuit of God’s grace, the devastation of that event motivated him to seek a better understanding of the nature and concept of God and religious belief. Armin’s journey led him to leaving Islam and becoming an atheist. Wanting to reach out to others like himself, Armin continues to examine religion as well as the notion of God and interact with others to engage in thought-provoking and educational discussion.
cicerone imposter

Mon 15 Dec, 2014 10:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
I don't think their discussions will be much different than "this" forum.
0 Replies

FBM

Tue 16 Dec, 2014 05:13 pm
http://www.puckermob.com/lifestyle/a-nowhere-near-comprehensive-list-of-gods-that-atheists-dont-believe-in

Quote:
A Nowhere Near Comprehensive List of Gods that Atheists Don't Believe In

As Stephen Roberts once famously said, “I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do.”

One fewer than how many? The list of gods and goddesses that exist throughout history (and across the world today) is nothing short of staggering.

Airmid
Aizen-Myoo
Aji-Suki-Taka-Hi-Kone
Am-No-Tanabata-Hime
Ama-No-Minaka-Nushi
Ama-Tsu-Mara
Amaterasu
Amatsu Mikaboshi
Amatsu-Kami
Ame-No-Mi-Kumari
Ame-No-Wakahiko
Amida
Amun
ANGRBODA
Anubis
Aphrodite
Apollo
Apollo
Ares
Artemis
Artio
ASTRILD
Athena
ATLA
AUDHUMLA
Bacchus
Baku
BALDER
Balor
Bastet
Bellona
Benten
Benzai-Ten
BEYLA
Bimbogami
Binzuru-Sonja
Don't stop now…we're just getting started…
Bishamon
BORGHILD
Bosatsu
BRAGI
Branwen
BRONO
Butsu
BYLGIA

You get the idea.
cicerone imposter

Thu 18 Dec, 2014 02:59 pm
@FBM,
The history of man is abound with the creation of gods. Why so many on this planet can believe in so many gods should be the obvious hint that they don't exist. Their value doesn't change from one religion to the next.

Thou shalt have no other gods before me. Thou shalt not have any god.
0 Replies

FBM

Fri 19 Dec, 2014 09:47 pm
That lovely, lovely religion: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/19/lindsey-blansett-stabs-son-go-to-heaven_n_6355092.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000021

Quote:
Mom Allegedly Stabs Son To Death So He Could 'Go To Heaven'

A Kansas mother accused of murdering her 10-year-old son allegedly did it because she thought “it would be better for him to go to heaven.”

Lindsey Nicole Blansett, 33, was arrested early Monday morning at her home in Wellington, according to KAKE. Police believe that on Sunday night, after her son, Caleb, went to bed, the mother “decided his life would be full of suffering and pain and that it would be better for him to go to heaven tonight,” according to a criminal complaint.

She then allegedly struck the boy with a rock and fatally stabbed him with a knife.

And people wonder why I don't do anything for Christmas or any other religious observation. http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/ddpan.gif
Kolyo

Fri 19 Dec, 2014 09:55 pm
@FBM,
Only 3 more full days to get yourself a "Festivus fir".

Grievances start airing on Dec. 23.

Yo ho humburg.
0 Replies

FBM

Fri 19 Dec, 2014 09:55 pm
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/cogs.12138/abstract

Quote:
Judgments About Fact and Fiction by Children From Religious and Nonreligious Backgrounds
Kathleen H. Corriveau1,*, Eva E. Chen2 andPaul L. Harris3
Article first published online: 3 JUL 2014

Keywords:
Religion;Fantasy;Impossibility;Testimony
Abstract
In two studies, 5- and 6-year-old children were questioned about the status of the protagonist embedded in three different types of stories. In realistic stories that only included ordinary events, all children, irrespective of family background and schooling, claimed that the protagonist was a real person. In religious stories that included ordinarily impossible events brought about by divine intervention, claims about the status of the protagonist varied sharply with exposure to religion. Children who went to church or were enrolled in a parochial school, or both, judged the protagonist in religious stories to be a real person, whereas secular children with no such exposure to religion judged the protagonist in religious stories to be fictional. Children's upbringing was also related to their judgment about the protagonist in fantastical stories that included ordinarily impossible events whether brought about by magic (Study 1) or without reference to magic (Study 2). Secular children were more likely than religious children to judge the protagonist in such fantastical stories to be fictional. The results suggest that exposure to religious ideas has a powerful impact on children's differentiation between reality and fiction, not just for religious stories but also for fantastical stories.

0 Replies

Olivier5

Sat 20 Dec, 2014 03:03 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
As Stephen Roberts once famously said, “I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do.”

Mr Roberts' contention has grounding in history. In antiquity, Christians and Jews were indeed considered atheists by Greek and Roman polytheists, because they denied the existence of so many gods.

But that proved their main advantage in the end, I think. The big problem with polytheism was the inflation in the number of gods that were believed to exist as time passed and local societies and cultures came to be in contact with one another. This proliferation of gods made the management of gods (aka religion) too complex and costly for any sizable empire. Hence the success of Christian monotheism in the Roman empire and elsewhere. It helped simplify things a lot.

Now we're moving towards 0 gods and that's even better.

Eg anytime an oath was required, polytheism could make things rather tedious... Here are the conclusive statements of the so-called Treaty of Kadesh concluded in or around 1259 BC between the Hittite and the Egyptian empires:

Quote:
As for these words of the regulation which the Great Prince of Hatti made with Ramses Meri-Amon, the great ruler of Egypt, in writing upon this tablet of silver-as for these words, a thousand of the male gods and of the female gods of the land of Hatti, together with a thousand of the male gods and of the female gods of the land of Egypt, are with me as witnesses hearing these words:

The Re, the lord of the sky; the Re of the town of Arinna; Seth, the lord of the sky; Seth of Hatti; Seth of the town of Arinna; Seth of the town of Zippalanda; Seth of the town of Pe(tt)iyarik; Seth of the town of Hissas(ha)pa; Seth of the town of Sarissa; Seth of the town of Aleppo; Seth of the town of Lihzina; Seth of the town . . .; . . .; Seth of the town of Sahpin; Antaret16 of the land of Hatti; the god of Zithari(as); the god of Karzis; the god of Hapantaliyas; the goddess of the town of Karahna; the goddess of . . . . . . . . .; the Queen of the Sky; the gods, the lords of oaths; this goddess, the Lady of the Ground; the Lady of the Oath, Ishara; the Lady (of the) mountains and the rivers of the land of Hatti; the gods of the land of Kizuwadna; Amon; the Re; Seth; the male gods; the female gods; the mountains; and the rivers of the land of Egypt; the sky; the earth; the great sea; the winds; and the clouds.

As for these words which are on this tablet of silver [...]--as for him who shall not keep them, a thousand gods of the land of Hatti, together with a thousand gods of the land of Egypt, shall destroy his house, his land, and his servants. But, as for him who shall keep these words which are this tablet of silver, whether they are Hatti or whether they are Egyptians, and they are not neglectful of them, a thousand gods of the land of Hatti, together with a thousand gods of the land of Egypt, shall cause that he be well, shall cause that he live, together with his houses and his (land) and his servants.

http://www.languageandlaw.org/TEXTS/CONST/KADESH.HTM
FBM

Sat 20 Dec, 2014 06:33 pm
@Olivier5,
Thanks. I hadn't looked at it from that angle before. Polytheism still survives, but as you allude, not in a singular, robust political entity. My first thought was Hinduism, but it's too easy to argue that the majority Hindu belief in nondualism overrides the local beliefs in multiple deities. In SE Asian Buddhist countries, the belief in a multitude of local deities persists, but they have only local power, nothing like that attributed to the Abrahamic, Greek and Roman gods.
FBM

Sat 20 Dec, 2014 07:09 pm
http://newscenter.berkeley.edu/2012/04/30/religionandgenerosity/

Quote:
Highly religious people are less motivated by compassion than are non-believers
By Yasmin Anwar, Media Relations | April 30, 2012

“Love thy neighbor” is preached from many a pulpit. But new research from the University of California, Berkeley, suggests that the highly religious are less motivated by compassion when helping a stranger than are atheists, agnostics and less religious people.

Study finds highly religious people are less motivated by compassion to show generosity than are non-believers
In three experiments, social scientists found that compassion consistently drove less religious people to be more generous. For highly religious people, however, compassion was largely unrelated to how generous they were, according to the findings which are published in the most recent online issue of the journal Social Psychological and Personality Science....

Link to the original reseearch (sorry, but it requires membership): http://spp.sagepub.com/content/early/2012/04/25/1948550612444137.full.pdf+html
Quehoniaomath

Sun 21 Dec, 2014 12:41 am
@FBM,
This one is called cherry picking!
0 Replies

Olivier5

Sun 21 Dec, 2014 09:10 am
@FBM,
Quote:
In SE Asian Buddhist countries, the belief in a multitude of local deities persists, but they have only local power, nothing like that attributed to the Abrahamic, Greek and Roman gods.

The god of Abraham started as a local, tribal god. It's his son who, after inheriting the business, made it a multi-national. Same with Saturn and the other guys. Historically, all gods start local, and their later fortune depends on politics.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sun 21 Dec, 2014 12:54 pm
@FBM,
Very interesting, but that doesn't seem too surprising when the Christian Right wants to cut social insurance for the American people. They believe in right to life, but could care less after the baby is born.

They talk about less government intrusion into people's lives, but they're the ones controlling women's body and creating legislation to suppress voting.

0 Replies

FBM

Thu 25 Dec, 2014 08:15 pm
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/10398684_877627375604853_1788194313276903164_n.jpg