hingehead

Thu 2 Oct, 2014 03:50 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I thought it was interesting because Bayes describes what we do anyway, but crucially it won't help if your initial position is to not consider additional evidence because you 'have faith'.
0 Replies

MWal

Thu 2 Oct, 2014 04:14 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Because I have higher senses and I use them.
Frank Apisa

Thu 2 Oct, 2014 04:19 pm
@MWal,
MWal wrote:

C'mon...you gotta do better than that, M.

Tell us how using your "higher senses" gets you to the point of knowing (rather than guessing) that there is a GOD.

Tell us.
Frank Apisa

Thu 2 Oct, 2014 04:22 pm
Anyone else think M is going to be an example of Bayes' "zero probability" start...that cannot be overcome?
0 Replies

Germlat

Thu 2 Oct, 2014 05:53 pm
@MWal,
MWal wrote:

Getting high does not mean higher senses..pothead.
0 Replies

MWal

Fri 3 Oct, 2014 01:50 am
@Frank Apisa,
Things like happiness, and satisfaction turn towards belief in God.
Setanta

Fri 3 Oct, 2014 01:59 am
@MWal,
That is the sort of remark that most glaringly displays your prejudice. People can be and usually are happy and satisfied without believing in a god. Your conclusion is predicated upon your assumptions.
Frank Apisa

Fri 3 Oct, 2014 05:06 am
@MWal,
MWal wrote:

Things like happiness, and satisfaction turn towards belief in God.

I did not ask you about what you "believe" or guess, M.

You said you KNOW there is a GOD...and I asked how you KNOW.

So...you KNOW there is a GOD because you are happy and satisfied???

Are you just joking with us now?

Olivier5

Fri 3 Oct, 2014 06:22 am
@Frank Apisa,
I have no idea what your question was, Frank. Please restate if that's important for you.

Now you are retreating onto that philosophers bench, where you can pretend that you know nothing. I'd rather keep my eyes open. I know what happens to a dude who's brain damaged: he can't be the same as he was before, x% of his "soul" disappeared with the damage. And the more the brain damage, the more of the "soul" is gone. If one could think and talk and love and hate without a brain, nature would have dispensed us of it.

Or is this what happened to you? Severe brain damage with total loss of a sense of reality?

I will die. I know it. Feel free to ignore your own fatality, Frank, if you're that afraid to die.
Frank Apisa

Fri 3 Oct, 2014 06:31 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

I have no idea what your question was, Frank. Please restate if that's important for you.

I called your attention to the fact that you did not answer my question immediately...and in each post thereafter.

Go look it up.

Quote:
Now you are retreating onto that philosophers bench, where you can pretend that you know nothing.

No I am not.

Quote:
I'd rather keep my eyes open. I know what happens to a dude who's brain damaged: he can't be the same as he was before, x% of his "soul" disappeared with the damage. And the more the brain damage, the more of the "soul" is gone. If one could think and talk and love and hate without a brain, nature would have dispensed us of it.

Or is this what happened to you? Severe brain damage with total loss of a sense of reality?

I will die. I know it. Feel free to ignore your own fatality, Frank, if you're that afraid to die.

I am not afraid to die...nor was I during my bout with cancer years ago. I wasted away to 114 pounds...and it seemed almost certain that I WOULD die...but I had no problem with that.

I know my death will probably come soon; I am, after all, 78 now. Since I am enjoying life so much, it probably will come sooner than I want, although if an accident or health problem turned things for the worse, it might come at a reasonable time.

But I also recognize that what I suppose to be life...and the universe...may be nothing but an illusion of a mind that I may share with all...and that the notion of "death" is not what I suppose it to be. My comments in that regard speak to that only.

Olivier5

Fri 3 Oct, 2014 07:10 am
@Frank Apisa,
I guess your question is not important enough then...

Quote:
But I also recognize that what I suppose to be life...and the universe...may be nothing but an illusion of a mind that I may share with all...and that the notion of "death" is not what I suppose it to be.

Do you also recognize that your current life could be an illusion and instead, you could in fact be a giant blue carrot being inserted in the giant cosmic anus, or something?

Speculate away, Frank. Death doesn't care.
Frank Apisa

Fri 3 Oct, 2014 10:59 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

I guess your question is not important enough then...

Quote:
But I also recognize that what I suppose to be life...and the universe...may be nothing but an illusion of a mind that I may share with all...and that the notion of "death" is not what I suppose it to be.

Do you also recognize that your current life could be an illusion and instead, you could in fact be a giant blue carrot being inserted in the giant cosmic anus, or something?

Speculate away, Frank. Death doesn't care.

Answer my question when you get a chance, Olivier. You've ducked it long enough.
farmerman

Fri 3 Oct, 2014 11:21 am
@Frank Apisa,
daylite savings is over in two weeks, wrap it up.
You've each got 2 minutes
Frank Apisa

Fri 3 Oct, 2014 11:48 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

daylite savings is over in two weeks, wrap it up.
You've each got 2 minutes

It's all done as far as I am concerned, FM.

Damn...daylight savings time is almost up???

Where'd the summer go?
cicerone imposter

Fri 3 Oct, 2014 12:01 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Summer is definitely still here; we're roasting in Silicon Valley with 94 degrees today! And my wife wants to go out for lunch.
Frank Apisa

Fri 3 Oct, 2014 12:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
It is in the mid-70's here in New Jersey right now...and it feels like the 80's. But that may have something to do with the fact that I just did all three lawns at my house.

Whew!
0 Replies

Olivier5

Fri 3 Oct, 2014 12:34 pm
@Frank Apisa,
The answer to your question is obviously: I don't know, and how could I?
MWal

Fri 3 Oct, 2014 12:39 pm
@Setanta,
But your not happy or satisfied if you don't believe in happiness or satisfaction. You gotta believe in these things for them to work their magic. They are the God.
Germlat

Fri 3 Oct, 2014 12:41 pm
@MWal,
MWal wrote:

But your not happy or satisfied if you don't believe in happiness or satisfaction. You gotta believe in these things for them to work their magic. They are the God.

You're high again and posting stupidly.
MWal

Fri 3 Oct, 2014 12:41 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Not because I am happy, but because there is happiness.