Setanta

Tue 26 Aug, 2014 02:13 pm
I see Harald is babbling on. It's his idiocy that lead to this silly discussion. As is the case with so many theists, he makes pronouncements about what atheists think and believe, and he does it in order to dlight them. In fact, he demonstrates as all theists do in that rhetorical mode, that he doesn't understand atheists at all. They're not a monolith, nor do atheists all think alike, nor are they obliged to.
hingehead

Tue 26 Aug, 2014 02:35 pm
@Herald,
Right, I understand now. You have issues and are prone to blathering. None of your statements make any sense. A deity must be alien? So much for 'made in his own image'

Your post is loaded with strawman arguments. Nowhere do I claim more intelligent life forms can't exist. You call it 'implicit' because you are making it up. I 'only believe dull and aggressive ILFs exist'? Really?

Now I get why you rail against science - evidence is an irrelevance to you and has no place in your opinion formation.

You are a dull and aggressive life form. Bye.
edgarblythe

Tue 26 Aug, 2014 02:38 pm
@Setanta,
Herding cats - Attempting to pigeonhole atheists.
0 Replies

Wilso

Tue 26 Aug, 2014 02:41 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

Ditto Germlat.
Germlat

Tue 26 Aug, 2014 03:15 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Blah, blah, blah . . . woof, woof. Have fun. Given your illusory belief that you"ve "won," you should enjoy yourself. Science is not an institution, and none of your blather has made such a case.

As fun as it is playing ping-pong with you, I'll let you go since you're a bad sport and a sore loser. You can have your tantrum now.
Germlat

Tue 26 Aug, 2014 03:17 pm
@Wilso,
Wilso wrote:

hingehead wrote:

Ditto Germlat.

You should try saying something for yourself...don't be someone's biatch...
0 Replies

hingehead

Tue 26 Aug, 2014 07:38 pm
Some days this thread is....

http://oedb.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/anigif_enhanced-25836-1406113261-1.gif

http://oedb.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/anigif_enhanced-buzz-14961-1377121677-9.gif

http://oedb.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/anigif_enhanced-13579-1406123426-7.gif

http://oedb.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/anigif_enhanced-buzz-13815-1377122036-17.gif

http://oedb.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/anigif_enhanced-7049-1407436720-40.gif

http://oedb.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/anigif_enhanced-17652-1407437250-7.gif
0 Replies

Intrepid

Tue 26 Aug, 2014 08:35 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I see Harald is babbling on. It's his idiocy that lead to this silly discussion. As is the case with so many theists, he makes pronouncements about what atheists think and believe, and he does it in order to dlight them. In fact, he demonstrates as all theists do in that rhetorical mode, that he doesn't understand atheists at all. They're not a monolith, nor do atheists all think alike, nor are they obliged to.

Emphasis mine..... So, all theists don't understand atheists? Atheist do not all think alike?

This is true, but it is also true of theists. Wouldn't you agree?

Herald

Tue 26 Aug, 2014 09:17 pm
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:
So, all theists don't understand atheists?
     Absolutely. What we all the non-atheists don't understand about the so calling themselves atheists is that they are running out of arguments to defend their fake theories and thesis (it they have had any thesis at all) and start peppering mumbo-jumbo ... where they are great.
     What we don't understand about the so called atheists is that they have so anti-social understanding of the world that they don't dare to show it publicly ... and that is why they are hiding behind a wall, defending themselves from the invasion of the Gods. They hopelessly defend themselves against morality, for they are well aware that if they accept even one comma of those texts their whole 'value' system will fall apart like a tower of cards.
hingehead

Tue 26 Aug, 2014 09:24 pm
@Intrepid,
Kind of, but all theists are at least linked by a belief in a deity. You can't link atheists by what they don't believe in. That's like suggesting everyone who doesn't believe in elves all think the same. Obviously ridiculous, it would be demonstrably less erroneous to propose that everyone who believed in elves had more common ground.
Herald

Tue 26 Aug, 2014 09:49 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:
Kind of, but all theists are at least linked by a belief in a deity.
      ... and you're linked to beliefs in pseudo-scientific statements. In your world everything that has been reviewed by 'peers' and published on some piece of paper, becomes unshakable truth of the last resort, no matter how fake its assumption may be ... and no matter how fake the arguments supporting the thesis are.
hingehead wrote:
You can't link atheists by what they don't believe in.
     Why don't you tell us in what you believe ... instead of in what you don't believe? I don't believe for example that any theory, based on fake assumptions, should be acknowledged valid as a theory, not as a thesis ... and you 'cannot link me to what I don't believe in'.
cicerone imposter

Tue 26 Aug, 2014 09:49 pm
@Intrepid,
You wrote,
Quote:
Atheist do not all think alike?

Yes, we do think alike. We all believe there is no god. Beyond that, our beliefs in everything else are as varied as there are humans on this planet.

0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 27 Aug, 2014 02:05 am
@Intrepid,
I agree to a limited extent. All theists do not have the same concept of god--but they do believe that there is a god (although, see the caveat below). Some atheists simply don't believe that there is a god, while others believe that there is no god. That may seem like a distinction without a difference, but it strongly colors the responses of atheists. I would also add that not all church-going people are, apparently, theists. Ipsos in Canada and Pew Research in the United States have, in recent years, been asking people who complete their religious surveys if they believe in god. By that, i mean that they ask everyone, not just agnostics of atheists--they also ask the question of those who profess a religious affiliation. About 10% of those who profess membership in a religious sect respond that they don't believe there is a god--the so-called weak atheist position.

As with all too many aspects of human behavior, the assumptions all usually oversimplified.
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 27 Aug, 2014 02:11 am
@Germlat,
To say that i'm a sore loser continues your silly claim that you've won.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-XPrekd0p92U/UfBEK2Leu3I/AAAAAAAAFMY/LAqFvekxtGs/s320/aaa.png

What did ya win there, Darlin'?

Bob, what do we have for our winning contestant today?

Johnny, it's a BRAND NEW CAR ! ! !

What a maroon . . .

hingehead

Wed 27 Aug, 2014 02:48 am
@Herald,
Like I said it should be easy for you to make a huge name for yourself disproving all these theories based on fake assumptions, yet here you flailing meaninglessly.

I don't disbelieve in god(s) because of the Big Bang Theory, I disbelieve because I see no satisfactory evidence for the existence of gods. Bring some on. Maybe you'll convince me. Although so far your lack of understanding of atheists and atheism is quite laughable.

But come on make some more assertions about what atheists think - they're good for a laugh and highlight just what this thread was about. They experience of being an atheist in a theistic society.

0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 27 Aug, 2014 03:35 am
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:
So, all theists don't understand atheists?

I forgot to mention--i said nothing at all like that.
edgarblythe

Wed 27 Aug, 2014 04:41 am
When deists attempt to argue against atheism through belittling science, there is one factor they are overlooking. A huge percentage of us were atheists before ever cracking a textbook. I know I did not need an education to disbelieve. A youngster can be quite analytical.
Wilso

Wed 27 Aug, 2014 05:17 am
@edgarblythe,
I never had to open a book to realise religion is a crock of ****. I can't even remotely comprehend how, in 2014, anyone can swallow that superstitious swill. It's little better than a psychosis. They should be medicated to reduce their danger others.
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 27 Aug, 2014 10:04 am
I've told the story before. I was five years old when i decided that god must be cruel--at any event, his employees were relentlessly cruel. That was what put on the path of eventually abandoning the belief that there were a god.
0 Replies

Germlat

Wed 27 Aug, 2014 11:05 am
@Setanta,
I little fun banter never hurt anyone.