spendius

Tue 22 Apr, 2014 09:36 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
There are some people here who declare victory as a regular thing. Laughter is what they deserve...and laughter is what they usually get.

That is certainly true. I have laughed many times at Apisa's regular, generally repetitive, declarations of victory. It was in evidence so often in his contributions that I resorted to inventing an acronym for it. MYOEP (marking your own exam paper). Which wittily resembled myopia much to my satisfaction.
cicerone imposter

Tue 22 Apr, 2014 10:33 am
@spendius,
Excellent observation, spendi!
Frank Apisa

Tue 22 Apr, 2014 10:38 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Excellent observation, spendi!

Way to post, Coward.

I love the fact that you stick here in the US...although you hate it. And I get a kick out of the fact that you still are brooding over what happened back in the 1940's...that you allow that to still shape your life.

You are part of the part of humanity that makes living on this planet just a bit more unpleasant than it has to be, ci.
Wink
0 Replies

Olivier5

Tue 22 Apr, 2014 11:33 am
@Frank Apisa,
Rating your own exam papers is your problem, not mine. as Spendi rightly pointed out, you do so all the time.

I base my "scoring" on the behaviour of the other poster, as follows:
- if he concedes defeat, you win.
- if he leaves the discussion in a nervous breakdown, ranting that your are now on his ignore list, you win by forfeit.
- if he leaves the board for several weeks or months right after the debate, it's a good indication you won big time (but you lost a debater....)
- if your debater cannot address your argument in any way, especially if that argument is left ignored even though you have stated it several times, you win by forfeit.

The last criteria is more subjective but as an example of such defeat I offer your incapacity to address my point that according to you everything is a guess, and to address my list of 5 guesses you made while speculating on my nationality and the shape and nature of my genitals. You just can't address that, to the best of your ability, and thus you lose that argument.
Frank Apisa

Tue 22 Apr, 2014 01:29 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Rating your own exam papers is your problem, not mine. as Spendi rightly pointed out, you do so all the time.

No...I do not. That is something Sendius dreamed up. I defy you to find one post where I declare a "victory" as you did.

Quote:
I base my "scoring" on the behaviour of the other poster, as follows:
- if he concedes defeat, you win.

You can score your own paper any way you want. But there is no win or lose...except for people who are petty.

Quote:
- if he leaves the discussion in a nervous breakdown, ranting that your are now on his ignore list, you win by forfeit.

The only person I have ever had on IGNORE is JTT...and that is because he never says anything worthy of not ignoring. Other than that, I read every post.

If you want to think being ignored is a "win"...be my guest...while I laugh at the idea.

Quote:
- if he leaves the board for several weeks or months right after the debate, it's a good indication you won big time (but you lost a debater....)

The win/lose thing is for petty people. I think I understand why you need it!

Quote:
- if your debater cannot address your argument in any way, especially if that argument is left ignored even though you have stated it several times, you win by forfeit.

Sounds like "winning" is very important for you in a discussion...which probably accounts for your conduct in this forum, Olivier.

Quote:
The last criteria is more subjective but as an example of such defeat I offer your incapacity to address my point that according to you everything is a guess, and to address my list of 5 guesses you made while speculating on my nationality and the shape and nature of my genitals.

I am sure you want to feel you have a win in a conversation with me, Olivier. And I find that very entertaining. Apparently you think you can ask a person to jump through hoops...and if the person doesn't...you declare victory. Of course, if the person does, you challenge the jumps and declare victory.

Tsk, tsk, tsk...very petty.

By the way, I have never said "everything is a guess" except with qualifications...which, of course, you conveniently ignore.

Quote:
You just can't address that, to the best of your ability, and thus you lose that argument.

You may have gotten away with that with Spendius, Olivier...but not with me. Wink

You are a female, right?

A more truthful characterization of you would have you as an American (or Canadian) than as a Frenchman, right?

spendius

Tue 22 Apr, 2014 01:49 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I defy you to find one post where I declare a "victory" as you did.

I knew Apisa would come that one. I said to myself earlier, after laughing at one of these posts of his, that he would try to make out that unless he had typed out v-i-c-t-o-r-y he could not be said to have claimed victory. He had only used phrases like "game, set, and match to me" or "I'm wiping the floor with you" and never the word victory itself. It's really petty I feel.

Why don't you guys discuss abortion which is something you can be dispassionate about and find common ground? I have found that male atheists are usually in agreement about that ridiculous matter. Being such practiced sharp-shooters as most of them are.
cicerone imposter

Tue 22 Apr, 2014 01:51 pm
@spendius,
Everybody sees the word games Frankie boy plays, but since they're all guesses, what difference does it make? LOL
Olivier5

Tue 22 Apr, 2014 02:25 pm
@Frank Apisa,
No feelings involved. I just blew your "guess" argument to smithereens. And I suspect you know it. Unless you're too busy thinking of my genitals?
Frank Apisa

Tue 22 Apr, 2014 03:10 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Everybody sees the word games Frankie boy plays, but since they're all guesses, what difference does it make? LOL

Thanks, Coward.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Tue 22 Apr, 2014 03:11 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

No feelings involved. I just blew your "guess" argument to smithereens. And I suspect you know it. Unless you're too busy thinking of my genitals?

Ahhh...another claim of victory.

Terrible habit, Olivier.

0 Replies

spendius

Tue 22 Apr, 2014 03:27 pm
@Olivier5,
I've been thinking about male genitals this afternoon. I was reading the passage in Fiona MacCarthy's super biography of Eric Gill in which she describes Gill attempting to prove, by bluster and bombast, that the male genital is not a thing "tucked away in men's trousers, 'all sideways, dishonoured, neglected, ridiculed and ridiculous---no longer the virile member'. The dishonoured penis was a terrible indictment (sic--possibly a Freudian slip on Ms MacCarthy's part) of the world's lost potency, the onset of commercialization and destructiveness."

The obsession with images of male potency certainly suggests that it is on the wane and that we need to remind ourselves of it to imagine it still exists.

Incidentally, there is a large collection of Gill's papers and stuff in the Clark Library at the University of California in Los Angeles. As the librarian is unlikely to point it out to enquirers I ought to say that an "X" by the side of a diary entry signifies a ****.

Olivier5

Tue 22 Apr, 2014 04:03 pm
@spendius,
Men in general are quite passé. At least in the culture, if not in women's libidinous minds... :-)
neologist

Tue 22 Apr, 2014 04:12 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
I've been thinking about male genitals this afternoon.
Shocked Shocked Laughing
0 Replies

Germlat

Tue 22 Apr, 2014 04:26 pm
@Olivier5,
Shocked I'm a female and I strongly disagree.
Olivier5

Tue 22 Apr, 2014 04:47 pm
@Germlat,
With what part of the statement do you disagree?
Germlat

Tue 22 Apr, 2014 04:53 pm
@Olivier5,
The one about men being passé .Smile
spendius

Tue 22 Apr, 2014 04:56 pm
@Olivier5,
She possibly thinks that men are not passé while I am keeping my end up and will only become so when we all surrender as you do.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Tue 22 Apr, 2014 05:43 pm
@Germlat,
Maybe it's just a question of perspective... seems to me we lost a lot of our past luster.
Germlat

Tue 22 Apr, 2014 06:22 pm
@Olivier5,
Ok..well I hate to concede but, "modern men" lack a little something...maybe testosterone. Then again, some women prefer estrogen...not judging, I'm considered fairly young still...I'm entitled to my opinion without the era subjection drama.
cicerone imposter

Tue 22 Apr, 2014 06:37 pm
@Germlat,
It's not that men are losing their testosterone. If one looks at how the economy has been performing the past several decades, most worked hard at education and/or at work. There are now web dating sites, because of the fact that many are spending more hours at work without social time to meet others. Even young marrieds are widowed by this new phenomenon of people working long hours. Many new tech companies grow because many sacrifice time and effort to make their wealth, but also because they enjoy working.

That is my .02c worth of opinion on this subject.