Romeo Fabulini

Fri 18 Apr, 2014 07:39 am
Quote:
Wilso said: So of the roughly 3000 gods that have been worshipped by humans, what is the most likely? That none of them exist, or the one that each particular believer worships exists.

Well, you can worship the great god Boogaloo if you like mate (below) but i'll plump for the one fronted by the kid from Nazareth..Smile

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/stone-idols_zpsea8c8960.jpg~original

PS- Boogaloo is a dead ringer for the english comedian Ken Dodd!-
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/K-dodd_zps86860bde.jpg~original
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 18 Apr, 2014 07:47 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Although it seems lack of ethics is not the only reason for this behavior on the part of some atheists. It seems an out-of-control ego is a part of it.

They have no choice. They know how vulnerable the agnostic is from Voltaire's last words, or so it is said, and from Pascal's Wager.

They need to believe that there is no God/s. As I do. But I do believe that people, billions, believe in Them. And that great consequences result from those beliefs.

The fact of the belief, as opposed to what is believed in, when widely held, provides an obstacle course which makes chasing members of the opposite sex much more exciting than if it is served up on a plate.

What seems to me to have replaced the chaste female as the obstacle course is the female thrummingly standing upon her personal dignity.

Ulysses deserting Calypso's enchanted island, which I must admit is not what I would have done, where not only immortality was on offer but Calypso's sisters were as equally eager to be chosen, offers the symbolic lesson that "on a plate" jades the appetite after a few years. One need only say "Calypso" and "Sycorax" to know what Homer had in mind.
0 Replies

FBM

Fri 18 Apr, 2014 07:54 am
If anyone's interested, the following link contains other links to scholarly sources that show that the Book of Exodus is fiction, ie, the exodus never happened: http://www.examiner.com/article/biblical-exodus-from-egypt-never-happened
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Fri 18 Apr, 2014 08:05 am
@Setanta,
Frank is so far off the deep end I no longer read his posts.
Romeo Fabulini

Fri 18 Apr, 2014 08:24 am
Quote:
FBM said: scholarly sources that show that the Book of Exodus is fiction, ie, the exodus never happened

Yet other 'scholars' say it's perfectly possible the Exodus DID happen..Smile
For example they put together a TV documentary a few years ago admitting the 10 Plagues might well have happened-
(Water turned to blood/ Frog invasion/ Gnat swarms/ Fly swarms/ Livestock plague/ Boils/ Hailstorms/ Locusts/ Darkness/ Death of firstborn)
but they tried to say each one had a perfectly natural explanation.
No sweat, God controls nature anyway..Smile

As for the 'pillar of fire' that guided Moses and the Israelites out of Egypt, the TV show said it could have been the Santorini volcano blowing its top 500 miles to the northwest.
No sweat again, it was as if God was saying to Moses "Here's a beacon i've made for you, just keep it behind your left shoulder as you walk and you'll be heading east"
FBM

Fri 18 Apr, 2014 08:30 am
Big difference between scholars and 'scholars'. Wink Thanks for pointing that out.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 18 Apr, 2014 09:02 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
No sweat again, it was as if God was saying to Moses "Here's a beacon i've made for you, just keep it behind your left shoulder as you walk and you'll be heading east"

Before adding----"and when you get there you will have to stop all this ridiculous behaviour which has only ever got you in one fix after another and follow these simple rules my assistant has chiseled on this 'ere rock for you --so get with it --the world is there for the taking."
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Fri 18 Apr, 2014 09:06 am
Guys, guys, don't ever put yourselves down by thinking you have to look up to 'scholars'!
A fool with degrees and diplomas is still just a fool.
Jesus said:- "I thank you Father for hiding these things from the wise and learned,and for revealing them to little children"(Matt 11:25-27)

For example Dr. Richard Dawkins, Carl Sagan and Prof.Stephen Hawking have got 6 divorces between them, so they're not so clever at making marriages work..Wink

Then of course there were the Space Shuttle disasters because with the first somebody forgot that the frosty morning would disintegrate a rubber sealing ring on the fuel tank, and with the second the glue for the insulation panels was no good.
And on board Apollo 13 the crew nearly froze to death because nobody had the foresight to equip them with simple lightweight thermal blankets for emergencies!
Yet between them, NASA employees must have had thousands of degrees and diplomas!
Same with the Titanic, the eggheads neglected to design proper watertight bulkheads so down she went!

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/ExIS/sos-titanic.gif~original
Frank Apisa

Fri 18 Apr, 2014 10:19 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Frank is so far off the deep end I no longer read his posts.

Yeah...sure you don't!

And I am truthful when I say I do not know if a god exists or not. You are merely spreading your blind guess when you assert there are no gods.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 18 Apr, 2014 01:43 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
Yet between them, NASA employees must have had thousands of degrees and diplomas!

That's not as many qualification as the organisers of WW1 and 2 had. But they had the brains to send those with no qualifications to the danger areas because those who had them were too valuable to spare.

And as far as I can tell religion played no part. Logic was in play all on its own.
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 18 Apr, 2014 02:00 pm
@FBM,
My only quibble with what you wrote was that the organizations of the Catholic and Lutheran churches enables a more effective deployment of resources for charitable purposes, and also enables economies of scale. Without organized religion, i don't see private, compassionate philanthropy being as effective. I worksed for several years in the charity industry, and i learned two things. One is that organizations such as the Salvation Army and other stalwarts of the charity industry (i worked for one of the others, which i will not name) most often find ways of spending someone else's money, while sending as much cash to the national organization as possible. That enhances the career opportunities for the local directors.

The other thing i learned is that private individuals are generous in numbers which i think would astonish a lot of people. They don't make a big deal of it, they just do it. The organization i worked for would sell donated clothing in their more than 20 local thrift stores, but we got clothing vouchers from Lutheran Social Services, so we could get clothing for our clients from the single thrift store they operated. When i worked the night shift, if someone called in to ask about donating clothing, knowing i wouldn't be overheard, i would advise them to drop the stuff off at Faith Mission, wile advising them ti was in a dangerous part of town and to be careful. Faith mission was run by a holy roller who had made it big in regional televangelism. But he lived in a modest apartment in that bad neighborhood, (no mansion with solid gold bathroom fixtures like Jim and Tammy Fae Bakker). He devoted his considerable financial resources to helping the homeless. He fed thousands of people every day. He prayed over the homeless while they ate the free meal, but he didn't make them wait while the food got cold the way the Baptists at the Open Shelter would do. On Grubb Street there was a Catholic priest who fed lunch to thousands of people every day. The tough guys from Faith Mission would come there to act as security--the elderly and families with children ate first. Nevertheless, the operation, supported entirely by private donation, never ran out of food at lunch time. One of h is suppliers was a woman in her 70s who got in her station wagon every day, and drove around to the super markets to collect bread which had reached it's "best by date" on that day, and would otherwise have ended up in a dumpster. She then delivered it to places like Grubb Street (where the "gangsters" from Faith Mission handed it out to the elderly and the families with children as they left after eating) and to other soup kitchens and food banks in town.

Private charity is enormous, and it benefits from the organization of religions (except for the Baptists--what a bunch of mealy-mouthed, stingy holy rollers).
neologist

Fri 18 Apr, 2014 02:36 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:
. . . . I'm pretty sure the compassion existed long before any particular extant religion and works in the human psyche independently of it. . .
Well said. And, if you'll forgive the trollism, consistent with biblical teachings.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Fri 18 Apr, 2014 05:10 pm
Quote:
Spendius said: Many people of all persuasions think sex a disgusting and, if pursued properly, degrading activity.

I've got my eye on the woman in the chip shop, she can disgust and degrade me any time she likes..Smile
spendius

Fri 18 Apr, 2014 05:16 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Tell her Romeo. She might take you at your word.
0 Replies

FBM

Fri 18 Apr, 2014 09:42 pm
@Setanta,
The Catholic Church is immensely wealthy, largely due to their threats of hellfire and damnation if the faithful don't cough up 10% in tithes. What percentage of that wealth goes to charity?

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w561/hapkido1996/20120818_fbc986_zps0b8720a2.png

While things such as health care and education do benefit society, hospitals and schools aren't (with some exceptions) charities. If you look carefully, they spend 11% annually on their own parishes/dioceses, but only 4.7% goes to charity. Yes, that 4.7% is gobs of money, but that only points to the incredible amount of wealth concentrated in the Church, not to the degree of charitibility in it.
FBM

Fri 18 Apr, 2014 09:43 pm
http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w561/hapkido1996/1536698_10152091470464773_2094407167_n_zpsaea227f3.png
Setanta

Sat 19 Apr, 2014 02:35 am
@FBM,
I wouldn't dispute that, other than to point out that tithing is not a standard practice in the Catholic church. I would remind you that i was speaking of the private charitable actions of individuals, organized by the churches.
spendius

Sat 19 Apr, 2014 03:38 am
@FBM,
I consider that men are subject to more hardship than women. Except in atheist societies.

Women just moan more and twist statistics.

Mrs Gage was an opponent of abortion. A Blavatsky theosophist. Have you read Isis Unveiled FB? I have. The two volumes are on my shelves.

How much "Checkout Democracy" votes for products made in women run corporations? How many labour-saving domestic appliances were invented by women?

Before swooning about hardship take a look at societies before the Church existed.
Krumple

Sat 19 Apr, 2014 04:01 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

I consider that men are subject to more hardship than women. Except in atheist societies.

Women just moan more and twist statistics.

Mrs Gage was an opponent of abortion. A Blavatsky theosophist. Have you read Isis Unveiled FB? I have. The two volumes are on my shelves.

How much "Checkout Democracy" votes for products made in women run corporations? How many labour-saving domestic appliances were invented by women?

Before swooning about hardship take a look at societies before the Church existed.

Spendius you need to change your name to "Makesshitup".

You constantly just make up crap as if it were true.

spendius wrote:

"I consider that men are subject to more hardship than women. Except in atheist societies. "

I want to see the research on this. I want to see the study that was conducted for you to determine this. Can you post any credible source for this claim? Or is the only source your ass?
spendius

Sat 19 Apr, 2014 04:25 am
@Krumple,
Quote:
Can you post any credible source for this claim?

Yeah--working for many years in the wealth creation zone rather than the piss-balling about zone where most of it is spent.

What did I make up? You posted three ad homs there and FBM won't be objecting.

Men have shorter lives. And shorter wardrobes.

You must live in a ghetto or something if you think women are more subject to hardship than men. They are not where I live.

I call upon all good men to cease voting. Forthwith!!! It's a trap lads.
0 Replies