anonymously99

Thu 17 Apr, 2014 10:30 pm
@FBM,
Our LORD, Jesus Christ, our God, the Holy Spirit lives, resides in heaven. In our minds, our thoughts, our beliefs, his spirit lives eternally. Whether one wants to believe or not.

I believe in God, and Jesus Christ. And life eternal. I believe there are angels. I believe there are good people and good spirits. I believe in living a life acceptable to the LORD Jesus Christ. I love the LORD Jesus Christ. I love his love. The LORD Jesus Christ is love.
FBM

Thu 17 Apr, 2014 10:39 pm
@anonymously99,
Cool with me, as long as you're not hurting others because of your beliefs. Smile
Wilso

Thu 17 Apr, 2014 10:50 pm
@anonymously99,
anonymously99 wrote:

Our LORD, Jesus Christ, our God, the Holy Spirit lives, resides in heaven. In our minds, our thoughts, our beliefs, his spirit lives eternally. Whether one wants to believe or not.

I believe in God, and Jesus Christ. And life eternal. I believe there are angels. I believe there are good people and good spirits. I believe in living a life acceptable to the LORD Jesus Christ. I love the LORD Jesus Christ. I love his love. The LORD Jesus Christ is love.

Ladies and gentlemen. I present your clouded mind.
anonymously99

Fri 18 Apr, 2014 12:19 am
@Wilso,
The LORD'S image becomes more clear, visible the more you seek him. His love. His guidance. He is beautiful. A beautiful feeling. He is love.
Wilso

Fri 18 Apr, 2014 01:19 am
@anonymously99,
anonymously99 wrote:

The LORD'S image becomes more clear, visible the more you seek him. His love. His guidance. He is beautiful. A beautiful feeling. He is love.

The undertone is clear. "My beliefs are morally superior, therefore I am morally superior".

**** you, you condescending ****.
anonymously99

Fri 18 Apr, 2014 01:22 am
@Wilso,
I completely understand you don't, probably never, believe in Jesus Christ, and God.

Your attitude says it all.
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 18 Apr, 2014 02:23 am
Fair play to you, FBM. I simply was at pains to assure you that there was no personal animus in what i had to say.
Frank Apisa

Fri 18 Apr, 2014 02:29 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

You won't get **** out of frank, wilso.

He'll get "I do not know"...which is not ****.

If he wants ****...maybe you can help.
FBM

Fri 18 Apr, 2014 02:31 am
@Setanta,
And I do appreciate that. Dragging the discussion down to a personal level just takes the fun out of it for me.
FBM

Fri 18 Apr, 2014 02:34 am
@Frank Apisa,
Seems to me that there's a good chance that not being able to be comfortable with saying you don't know something may have led to religious thinking in the first place. Just a thought.
Frank Apisa

Fri 18 Apr, 2014 02:41 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

Seems to me that there's a good chance that not being able to be comfortable with saying you don't know something may have led to religious thinking in the first place. Just a thought.

I suspect that may very well be the case. Many theists seem as fearful of saying "I do not know" as they are of saying, "There are no gods."

But as I see it..."there is a GOD" and "there are no gods" both are nothing more than blind guesses.
Wilso

Fri 18 Apr, 2014 02:46 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

FBM wrote:

I suspect that may very well be the case. Many theists seem as fearful of saying "I do not know" as they are of saying, "There are no gods."

But as I see it..."there is a GOD" and "there are no gods" both are nothing more than blind guesses.

My personal belief is that " I don't know" is very intellectually honest. But assertions for and against the existence of gods are not equally valid. The fact is Frank, that until someone's presents me with a study showing say, that prayer is as effective as antibiotics in treating illness, then religion remains a pathetic crock of ****.
Frank Apisa

Fri 18 Apr, 2014 02:56 am
@Wilso,
Wilso wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

FBM wrote:

My personal belief is that " I don't know" is very intellectually honest. But assertions for and against the existence of gods are not equally valid. The fact is Frank, that until someone's presents me with a study showing say, that prayer is as effective as antibiotics in treating illness, then religion remains a pathetic crock of ****.

Frankly, "religion" in my opinion...is a crock of ****.

When I am talking about the possibility of a GOD...I am not talking about religion.

Prayer...creation...good, bad...loving god...obligation to adore...going to church on Sunday...fasting at various times...revelations...

...can all be a crock of ****...and still gods might exist.

The two have very little to do with one another.

I am dealing with the question, "What is the true nature of the REALITY of existence?"

I just refuse to eliminate the possibility of gods...I refuse to say that among all the possibilities, the existence of gods is the one impossibility.

0 Replies

FBM

Fri 18 Apr, 2014 03:17 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

I'm not sure they're equally blind, though. As one accumulates empirical evidence, one becomes less blind, I think. Despite the Problem of Induction, empirical evidence "weighs" more than an ancient tradition or myth. As we piece together bits of understanding of how things work, and when nothing found yet requires or suggests the existence of a divine creator, I think it's safe to say that the probability of there being such a thing diminishes. I wouldn't say it ever becomes zero, but I visualize it as an asymptote.
Frank Apisa

Fri 18 Apr, 2014 03:23 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

I'm not sure they're equally blind, though. As one accumulates empirical evidence, one becomes less blind, I think. Despite the Problem of Induction, empirical evidence "weighs" more than an ancient tradition or myth. As we piece together bits of understanding of how things work, and when nothing found yet requires or suggests the existence of a divine creator, I think it's safe to say that the probability of there being such a thing diminishes. I wouldn't say it ever becomes zero, but I visualize it as an asymptote.

I have no idea of what the true nature of the REALITY of existence is...so I am not ruling anything out.

I have not seen anything that suggests something can come from nothing...but I am not ruling that out either. How are you treating that notion, FBM?
Wilso

Fri 18 Apr, 2014 03:24 am
So of the roughly 3000 gods that have been worshipped by humans, what is the most likely? That none of them exist, or the one that each particular believer worships exists. On pure probability, I will assert once more that statements for and against the existence of any god do not possess equal validity. Unless of course you've got a "magical" way of redefining mathematics, probability and logic.
Setanta

Fri 18 Apr, 2014 03:25 am
@FBM,
Quote:
I wouldn't say it ever becomes zero, but I visualize it as an asymptote.

That's a very good point. It is possible to make a joke of one's own skepticism and intellectual honesty by insistence on a negligible possibility. To steal from the Ivory soap advertising gimmick, i'm 99.44% sure there are no gods. Something i find hilarious is that so many self-righteous agnostics dismiss questions about fairies, pixies, elves and other allegations of the existence of supernatural beings, with a contempt for the question which they don't display when the question is whether or not there is a magic sky daddy.
FBM

@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

I have no idea of what the true nature of the REALITY of existence is...so I am not ruling anything out.

I have not seen anything that suggests something can come from nothing...but I am not ruling that out either. How are you treating that notion, FBM?

Like all other non-evident metaphysical claims: suspended judgment. We might find out one day and we might not.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

@Frank Apisa,
The use of "divine" suggests you are mixing "god" and "religion."

I try to avoid that.
0 Replies

FBM

Fri 18 Apr, 2014 03:28 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Quote:
I wouldn't say it ever becomes zero, but I visualize it as an asymptote.

That's a very good point. It is possible to make a joke of one's own skepticism and intellectual honesty by insistence on a negligible possibility. To steal from the Ivory soap advertising gimmick, i'm 99.44% sure there are no gods. Something i find hilarious is that so many self-righteous agnostics dismiss questions about fairies, pixies, elves and other allegations of the existence of supernatural beings, with a contempt for the question which they don't display when the question is whether or not there is a magic sky daddy.

I'm not quite following. "make a joke of"? Also, would you mind unpacking that last sentence for me a little?