anonymously99

Thu 17 Apr, 2014 01:03 am
@FBM,
Quote:
It has been explained many times that this thread was not started to argue religion, but as a meeting place for atheists...

Does that mean I'm in trouble?
FBM

Thu 17 Apr, 2014 01:25 am
@anonymously99,
anonymously99 wrote:

Quote:
It has been explained many times that this thread was not started to argue religion, but as a meeting place for atheists...

Does that mean I'm in trouble?

I think we both are...
anonymously99

Thu 17 Apr, 2014 01:28 am
@FBM,
Oh? Well then

0 Replies

spendius

Thu 17 Apr, 2014 04:27 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
That's a bit tame Romeo.

I have often thought to post a photo of the Venus of Willendorf but knowing how Christian our pet atheists are I have resisted.

In the evolution of the human race massacre, rape and pillage were the natural order of things. Only the Christian dispensation has made attempts to tone them down but they have only worked fitfully as is to be expected if the urge to massacre, rape and pillage is hard-wired into us by evolution.

The continuous drip of ad homs here is the result of cod atheists on the wobble. What they want are personal dispensations for their own sexual behaviour without considering that everybody will claim them.

I'm the only genuine atheist on here and I don't promote it on the grounds that it is unaffordable.

I have not heard one word about religion in the Ukraine standoff. It is an economic matter. As soon as Crimea was liberated pensions were raised by 50% and energy supplies guaranteed. And security. And if things go wrong there there will be massacres of unexampled proportions.

Every horror these cod atheists mention has been inculcated into them by the Christian dispensation. Every time Homer had his crew make land they "devastated" the countryside. Every time a Roman general was granted a Triumph he paraded the spoils of his campaign before the citizens who jumped up and down with glee.

These cod atheists have no explanation for their whimpering compassion other than the Christian religion. They are a bunch of phonies. Absolutely.

0 Replies

spendius

Thu 17 Apr, 2014 04:31 am
@Wilso,
Quote:
When 1 person has a delusion, you call them crazy.
When a thousand people have a delusion, you call them a cult.
When a million people have a delusion, you have to respect their beliefs and give them a tax break.

That's democracy in action Wilso. I know you are against democracy. You have no choice. No atheist regime is democratic.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Thu 17 Apr, 2014 04:51 am
There were atheists in this thread totally willing to "debate" (which is to say "mock") theists earlier. Now that some non-theist/non-atheist thoughts are present...it has become a thread just set up so that atheists can meet and smile at each other.

Now the atheists want to be left alone...and not bothered. They are a minority who represent a vast majority here in this forum...but still they see fit to complain the minority is picking on them by pointing out the weaknesses of atheistic arguments.

Utter nonsense!

Every thread is open to everyone in the forum.

Something from the past ought be mentioned here:

http://able2know.org/topic/141106-201#post-4483420

Hingehead hit the nail squarely on its head in this post!
spendius

Thu 17 Apr, 2014 05:00 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Those of us here who genuinely are atheists,

That's an assertion.

Quote:
and who wish to discuss how that affects us

That's an assertion.

Quote:
that is preferable to encouraging the BS they spew here.

That's an assertion. Like "I did it my way" is.

Quote:
Even if it means days of no posts from us,

Make it years. Get the thread on Ignore. Nobody will be more pleased than a genuine atheist to see the back of this lot of hypocrites. Permanently for preference. It can't be too soon.

Perhaps atheism will make some headway once this crew of useless baggage is dumped overboard. They are unelectable. A precisely because the electorate demands more than emotionally driven ad homs in order to make a choice. It requires a manifesto. It can't even debate the matter without one. Accusations of trolling and spewing bullshit are the currency of infants.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Thu 17 Apr, 2014 05:31 am
@Frank Apisa,
Screw off, frank.
spendius

Thu 17 Apr, 2014 05:45 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Hingehead hit the nail squarely on its head in this post!

hinge has never hit a nail on the head in his entire life. His every thought is self justifying and self admiring.

That tired old tripe about Noah simply demonstrates a spavined intellect. The utter ridiculousness of the story taken literally flashes a neon sign that something else is involved to anybody with the slightest intelligence.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Thu 17 Apr, 2014 06:08 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Screw off, frank.

Can't handle agnosticism, Edgar?

Rather stick with your blind guesses about REALITY!
0 Replies

Wilso

Thu 17 Apr, 2014 06:11 am
Theists are just boring. They trot out the same tired old **** they've been spewing for thousands of years.
spendius

Thu 17 Apr, 2014 06:15 am
@Wilso,
Wilso is exceedingly boring. He trots out the same tired old **** he's been spewing since he found out that the Church disapproves of wanking and that a team of demons would be employed for all eternity to torment him for practicing it.
0 Replies

FBM

Thu 17 Apr, 2014 07:35 am
@Wilso,
Wilso wrote:

Theists are just boring. They trot out the same tired old **** they've been spewing for thousands of years.

For me, they're boring because they all commit the same logical fallacies over and over again. They have to because at the bottom of their argument lies faith, which is anti-reason.
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 17 Apr, 2014 07:49 am
It's not just the theists, either--the Buddhists are just as bad.
FBM

Thu 17 Apr, 2014 07:52 am
@Setanta,
Do we have some of those? Technically, they're not theists, anyway. They don't claim the Buddha to be a supernatural creator deity.
Olivier5

Thu 17 Apr, 2014 08:37 am
@spendius,
Quote:
We are trying to bring in sex with the brakes off aren't we? Is anybody here not trying to bring in sex with the brakes off?

Calm down. All the atheists on this site are just as tight-ass as the religious. Every time someone comes here with a question about love, sex, adultery, whatever, they yell at him/her that sex, love and evidently adultery are bad bad bad...

I like to read my wife's women magazines, especially when they talk about sex. Now, some of these mags are not just about fashion and make up. Marie Claire for instance was once a feminist mag and tries to maintain that tradition a bit, in the midst a flow of ads about how to please men with the perfect figure... The point is that each and every article about sex in them is normative. It's about how the following things are bad bad bad: masturbation, ******* outside of marriage, sodomy, SM, etc etc... Ad nauseam. Of course it is not couched in moral terms but more in terms of physical and mental health. In today's French women's magazines, the role of the priest has been taken over by the shrink and the doctor. But the message remains the same: don't you dare try something unusual, beyond classic monogamy.

So you can rest assured that atheism, feminism, and the likes will not lead to licence, at least not in the US and not in France and I would suspect not in western civilization as a whole. Everybody is scared of freedom (perhaps rightly so? I don't know) and just too happy to keep with the old puritanic order...
0 Replies

FBM

Thu 17 Apr, 2014 08:52 am
http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w561/hapkido1996/8888_10151925111952203_1385221165_n_zps44fadffc.png
Setanta

Thu 17 Apr, 2014 09:22 am
@FBM,
I mentioned them specifically because they are not theists. Yeah, we've got a few, but they stay away from this thread. They take on blind faith that there is a special kind of understanding which they call enlightenment, which is different from and superior to your ordinary, garden variety human understanding. They take it on faith the their by Siddartha achieved "perfect" enlightenment. They take karma on faith, with its implication of a cycle of lives--and i say that they take these things on faith because they can't adduce a scintilla of evidence for them. Which leaves them in the same boat as the theists, saying all the while that they're not in the boat and that the boat is mere perception.
Setanta

Thu 17 Apr, 2014 09:22 am
@FBM,
Good one.
0 Replies

FBM

Thu 17 Apr, 2014 09:40 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I mentioned them specifically because they are not theists. Yeah, we've got a few, but they stay away from this thread. They take on blind faith that there is a special kind of understanding which they call enlightenment, which is different from and superior to your ordinary, garden variety human understanding. They take it on faith the their by Siddartha achieved "perfect" enlightenment. They take karma on faith, with its implication of a cycle of lives--and i say that they take these things on faith because they can't adduce a scintilla of evidence for them. Which leaves them in the same boat as the theists, saying all the while that they're not in the boat and that the boat is mere perception.

My understanding of the Buddhist path to date is that faith is a temporary expedient on the way to seeing things as they are for yourself. The further you advance in the training, the less need for faith. The Buddha said that his teachings (dhamma) are only a raft for crossing the metaphorical river (where you are no longer ignorant of the way things are). Once you cross the river, there is no need for his teachings anymore. This is, I think, in stark contrast to other soteriological systems in which the teachings are to be clung to despite all else.

Also, the Buddhadharma culminates in the calm acceptance of physical death as the end of the individual's conscious existence. In contrast to other soteriologies, the fact that there is no afterlife (nor a self to experience it in the first place: anatta) is gradually seen to be a good thing, rather than as something to be avoided through selfish delusions. Rebirth is the opposite of reincarnation due to the lack of an inherent, eternal spirit that might transmigrate. Phenomena propogate, but this does not entail anything like the existence of a permanent entity that endures throughout the propagation of phenomena.

But my understanding isn't perfect, so I'd welcome critiques of the above.