Romeo Fabulini

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 06:42 am
Quote:
Frank Apisa said: I'd prefer to get my history from historians rather than from the Old Testament, Romeo.
You'd do better to do the same.

But the Bible IS a history book!
It gives us the facts warts and all and doesn't try to edit out any jarring bits, which is why it has the ring of truth.
For example technically Moses was a murderer (the Egyptian slave driver remember) but nobody ever tried to edit it out..Smile
Frank Apisa

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 06:57 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Quote:
Frank Apisa said: I'd prefer to get my history from historians rather than from the Old Testament, Romeo.
You'd do better to do the same.

But the Bible IS a history book!

So is a Tale of Two Cities.

In my opinion, the best guess about the Bible: A self-serving history of the early Hebrew peoples with a rather primitive mythology interspersed.

Quote:
It gives us the facts warts and all and doesn't try to edit out any jarring bits, which is why it has the ring of truth.

Correct.

It tells us Egypt existed...and that it was ruled by a Pharaoh. And it tells us that Rome existed...and it was ruled by an Emperor.

Jeez.

Quote:

For example technically Moses was a murderer (the Egyptian slave driver remember) but nobody ever tried to edit it out..Smile

Moses may never even have existed. But if you want to blindly guess he did...and if you want to blindly guess he was a murderer...go for it.

There are some modern historians who blindly guess that the ancient Israelites did not escape from slavery in Egypt...but were expelled as undesirables by Pharaoh.
Frank Apisa

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 07:06 am
@Frank Apisa,
Rather than edit what I wrote in that last sentence, I want to change it in a separate post:

There are modern day historians who suggest that it is as likely that the ancient Israelites were expelled from Egypt as undesirables...as it is that they were lead from captivity there by someone like Moses. The Passover scenario seems contrived and self-serving.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 07:09 am
Quote:
Frank Apisa said: Moses may never even have existed...

The same could be said of any historical figures through the centuries, eg Buddha, Socrates, Jesus, Julius Caesar, Mohammed etc , so if you can present any good argument as to why we should think they never existed, we'd be glad to entertain it..Smile
Frank Apisa

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 07:16 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Quote:
Frank Apisa said: Moses may never even have existed...

The same could be said of any historical figures through the centuries, eg Buddha, Socrates, Jesus, Julius Caesar, Mohammed etc , so if you can present any good argument as to why we should think they never existed, we'd be glad to entertain it..Smile

Entertain it...or don't entertain it as you see fit, Romeo. At best, it will be a blind guess.

Google "Exodus" "ancient Israelites expelled from Egypt"...and you will get hundreds of thousands of thoughts to peruse.

0 Replies

FBM

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 07:25 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
And there is no paucity of evidence for injurious behavior motivated by religions.

That is an ad hom as well. It does not address alternatives and it does not define "others". Nor does it say what injurious means. And it implies that only you are against injurious behaviour and only you can define it.

Erm. You do know that's short for ad hominem, right? As in "to the man"? There is no human in that sentence of mine.

Quote:
Where is the example I asked for of me using an ad hom about you?
It is very odd that those who use ad homs the most are so ready to accuse those who don't of the glaring fault. Doing that is an ad hom.

You so, so very, very obviously don't know what an argumentum ad hominem is, so I don't see much point in trying to convince you that you've made one. You seem bent on arguing at the expense of intellectual honesty. I guess I misjudged you, after all. I don't post here regularly, and somehow I had the impression that you could argue dispassionately and that empirical evidence and necessary inference based on it would carry weight. However, you riddle your posts with logical fallacies, empty, emotion-laden rhetoric. That's so common to find on the internet these days that you simply aren't an interesting interlocutor. I wouldn't be surprised if you were a sock puppet of Romeo. Anyhoo, goodbye and good luck. I hope you educate yourself soon.
FBM

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 07:26 am
http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w561/hapkido1996/10014667_504743846314222_5061493160339496129_n_zps0b0f6c31.jpg
Romeo Fabulini

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 07:29 am
@FBM,
Your pic of a woman giving the finger simply shows up atheists!
Firstly, their Leviticus quote about allegedly "filthy" women giving childbirth is completely out of context and amounts to atheist propaganda.

Secondly, Leviticus is ancient Old T stuff which has since been overuled by Jesus with the New T.

Thirdly, the woman in the pic is saying "**** your religion".
Wonder which bit of this she doesn't like-
"There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus" (Galatians 3:28 )
Jesus said to the snooty priests-"The prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you" (Matt 21:31)
And he said "I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart" (Matt 5:28 )
Elsewhere too the New T speaks for women's rights -"Control yourselves honourably, not in lust like the heathens" (1 Thess 4:4/5)

Fourthly, I see the pic is by the "Tornado Alley Atheists", no wonder God keeps hitting them with twisters..Wink
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 07:40 am
Quote:
Frank Apisa said: Google "Exodus" "ancient Israelites expelled from Egypt"...and you will get hundreds of thousands of thoughts to peruse.

Of course they were expelled by Pharoah! God was slapping the Egyptians around with plague after plague to make him free the Israelites..Smile-

PHAROAH TO HIS COURTIERS - "Sheesh that Christian God really had it in for me, I only hope he's finished!
Now let's put it all behind us and move on with our lives and have a feast of celebration, sit down everybody and tuck in!"

(cue sound of millions of locust wings as they fly through the windows and settle on all the plates of food)
PHAROAH - "Oh sh*t"...

so no wonder Pharoah eventually cracked said "Okay okay, enough!, Let's get the Israelis out of here!"
Romeo Fabulini

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 07:54 am
@FBM,
Anti-christian Russian women and their male sympathisers chainsaw down Jesus!
Careful girls and boys, or God will send Putin and the Red Army to punish Ukraine..Wink

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/fem-kiev.gif~original
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/fem-kiev1.gif~original
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/fem-kiev2.gif~original
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 07:57 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Quote:
Frank Apisa said: Google "Exodus" "ancient Israelites expelled from Egypt"...and you will get hundreds of thousands of thoughts to peruse.

Of course they were expelled by Pharoah! God was slapping the Egyptians around with plague after plague to make him free the Israelites..Smile-

PHAROAH TO HIS COURTIERS - "Sheesh that Christian God really had it in for me, I only hope he's finished!
Now let's put it all behind us and move on with our lives and have a feast of celebration, sit down everybody and tuck in!"

(cue sound of millions of locust wings as they fly through the windows and settle on all the plates of food)
PHAROAH - "Oh sh*t"...

so no wonder Pharoah eventually cracked said "Okay okay, enough!, Let's get the Israelis out of here!"

You really have to work out a new skit, Romeo. This one is very stale. Wink
Romeo Fabulini

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 08:03 am
@Frank Apisa,
Oh God please make me funny (sniffle)..
spendius

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 08:23 am
@FBM,
Quote:

You so, so very, very obviously don't know what an argumentum ad hominem is, so I don't see much point in trying to convince you that you've made one. You seem bent on arguing at the expense of intellectual honesty. I guess I misjudged you, after all. I don't post here regularly, and somehow I had the impression that you could argue dispassionately and that empirical evidence and necessary inference based on it would carry weight. However, you riddle your posts with logical fallacies, empty, emotion-laden rhetoric. That's so common to find on the internet these days that you simply aren't an interesting interlocutor. I wouldn't be surprised if you were a sock puppet of Romeo. Anyhoo, goodbye and good luck. I hope you educate yourself soon.

That's a long winded ad hom. I know what they are. I have been subjected to enough.

I not only know what an ad hom is, an emotional blurt, but I also know what an Argumentum ad Verecundiam is and an ex Absurdo and an ex Fortiori and an Ars Logica and an Argumentum Fistulatorium and an Argumentum Baculinum and an Argumentum ad Crumenam and an Argumentum Tripodium and an Argumentum ad Rem.

After the ad hom the Verecundiam is the next most common on A2K.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 08:25 am
@FBM,
Quote:

That's a long winded ad hom. I know what they are. I have been subjected to enough.

I not only know what an ad hom is, an emotional blurt, but I also know what an Argumentum ad Verecundiam is and an ex Absurdo and an ex Fortiori and an Ars Logica and an Argumentum Fistulatorium and an Argumentum Baculinum and an Argumentum ad Crumenam and an Argumentum Tripodium and an Argumentum ad Rem.

After the ad hom the Verecundiam is the next most common on A2K.
spendius

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 08:33 am
@spendius,
Sorry about the double post.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 09:16 am
Quote:
Spendius said: ex Absurdo, ex Fortiori, Ars Logica, Argumentum Fistulatorium, Argumentum Baculinum, Argumentum ad Crumenam, Argumentum Tripodium, Argumentum ad Rem.

Ah, I can see you're a fan of the old 1960's Marvel Comics like me mate, I think I remember some of those super-villains..Smile
neologist

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 10:37 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
You should first pray to be correct.
neologist

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 10:39 am
@neologist,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
neologist wrote:
You should first pray to be correct.
As should most of the contributors to this tiresome thread.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 10:44 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Sorry mate. I detest science fiction. It is such an onholy cop-out that I can't believe that people give it their attention.

Did you know that a nuclear physicist has calculated that the dematerialisation of Jesus at the Ascension would have wiped out all life within a radius of 5000 miles?
Krumple

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 10:48 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Sorry mate. I detest science fiction. It is such an onholy cop-out that I can't believe that people give it their attention.

Did you know that a nuclear physicist has calculated that the dematerialisation of Jesus at the Ascension would have wiped out all life within a radius of 5000 miles?

Oh just another miracle right? Well miracle that it didn't wipe out all life.. but then again it would have been consistent on gods part since he seems to really enjoy destroying life. But hey who am I to argue, he owns and made everything so he should be allowed to destroy it if he wants to right?