spendius

Sun 13 Apr, 2014 05:10 pm
@FBM,
Fancy believing **** like that FB!! Sheesh!
FBM

Sun 13 Apr, 2014 05:18 pm
@spendius,
More like, fancy brainwashing your kids into believing shite like that. Fancy oppressing those who don't believe shite like that. Wink
spendius

Sun 13 Apr, 2014 05:24 pm
@FBM,
Are you having difficulties with being conditioned and oppressed FB?

FBM

Sun 13 Apr, 2014 05:27 pm
@spendius,
Conditioned, no, as that's unavoidable. Oppressed, yes. And watching others being oppressed, yes.

Are you having trouble with me expressing myself?
FBM

Sun 13 Apr, 2014 06:49 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

There was a good one in a blog post which someone posted here years ago in a political threadd--to the effect that whenever you see a christian in the United States complainng about being persecuted, right then and there you know you are dealing with a moron.

Shortened that a bit for conciseness: '...whenever you see a christian, right then and there you know you are dealing with a moron.'

Not universally true, of course, but a good rule of thumb for most situations.
farmerman

Sun 13 Apr, 2014 07:59 pm
@FBM,
I have some very good friends who are religious , Christians, Jews, Seikhs and Hindus. Interestingly most are engineers or scientists . These folks I know keep their beliefs separate from their crafts. and most feel that their deities are transcendent .

FBM

Sun 13 Apr, 2014 08:57 pm
@farmerman,
Yeah, there's a physics professor who teaches here who's a devout believer. Like I said, it's not universally true. People can compartmentalize, like you say. But among the scientifically literate, they are the exception, rather than the rule.
Krumple

Sun 13 Apr, 2014 09:18 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

Yeah, there's a physics professor who teaches here who's a devout believer. Like I said, it's not universally true. People can compartmentalize, like you say. But among the scientifically literate, they are the exception, rather than the rule.

I agree completely but I just wanted to add a little more to this. I think there are many "christians" who only say they are to avoid having conflicts with their families or friends. Typically when you deconvert from christianity there is a lot of baggage with it and some people would rather not deal with all that so they secretly go through the motions but inwardly they think it's nonsense.

So many families have been destroyed because a certain member woke up and realized it's all just fairy tales for adults. Have you seen that viral video of a kid who tells his parents that he is an atheist and his mother flips out getting pissed and violent towards him. Yelling and screaming that he won't get presents for christmas and cutting off his allowance.

It is truly sad to see a parent essentially disowning their own child over something that can't be verified. They put so much value into something that is a myth over reality.
FBM

Mon 14 Apr, 2014 02:17 am
@Krumple,
Yeah, I saw something like that. Sad.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Mon 14 Apr, 2014 03:23 am
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

FBM wrote:

I agree completely but I just wanted to add a little more to this. I think there are many "christians" who only say they are to avoid having conflicts with their families or friends. Typically when you deconvert from christianity there is a lot of baggage with it and some people would rather not deal with all that so they secretly go through the motions but inwardly they think it's nonsense.

So many families have been destroyed because a certain member woke up and realized it's all just fairy tales for adults. Have you seen that viral video of a kid who tells his parents that he is an atheist and his mother flips out getting pissed and violent towards him. Yelling and screaming that he won't get presents for christmas and cutting off his allowance.

It is truly sad to see a parent essentially disowning their own child over something that can't be verified. They put so much value into something that is a myth over reality.

You are sounding a bit smug and superior here, Krumple.

A question, if I may: Is there a GOD?
Wilso

Mon 14 Apr, 2014 03:47 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Thousands have been claimed. Which are you referring to?
spendius

Mon 14 Apr, 2014 04:12 am
@FBM,
Quote:

Not in the slightest FB. But I think using "brainwashed" when "conditioned" is meant and eagerly saluting when drivel like--

Quote:
There was a good one in a blog post which someone posted here years ago in a political threadd--to the effect that whenever you see a christian in the United States complainng about being persecuted, right then and there you know you are dealing with a moron.

is spouted is a definite sign of a spavined education. And to allow unquestioned credibility to an allegedly "viral video" is a superstition of the camera cannot lie type.

Elaborate springtime ceremonials dedicated to divinities of crop growth are likely to work because pious witnesses to them will attend to the fields better than they would if there was no ceremony and every day was just another day in the life of Joe Egg and whips were necessary.

Money does the same job of course but the ceremonies of the cash-flow shamans pointedly lack the style of dancing orgiastic priestesses symbolising fertility renewal.

Atheists are simply boring and intelligent people would avoid social conversations with people like Setanta and Krumpie if they insisted on pressing upon them the sort of silliness they have just done upon us. Although they might wonder what it was that motivated their obsessions.

There is no chance of it being science. Much more probable is an insulting attempt to legitimise some behaviour which Christians consider disreputable on the basis that if everybody practiced it society would need to be redesigned from top to bottom to accommodate the effects.

Don't go taking advantage of Easter lads.
FBM

Mon 14 Apr, 2014 06:50 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:

Not in the slightest FB. But I think using "brainwashed" when "conditioned" is meant and eagerly saluting when drivel like--

Seems appropriate to me. In devout families, kids are dragged to church over and over again, several times a week or even every day in extreme cases, made to say prayers before every meal and before bedtime (and if I die before I wake...), told that all sorts of eternal torment awaits them if they do anything the preacher says is bad, surrounded day in and day out with religious icons, etc ad nauseum. Don't get me wrong, I consider patriotism, capitalism and the like to also be brainwashing.

When you say "conditioning," are you referring to operant, classical or covert conditioning? Or something else? Every phenomenon is conditioned by previous states, so to say something is conditioned is not really saying anything unless you specify a type.
Olivier5

Mon 14 Apr, 2014 08:28 am
@Krumple,
Quote:
Have you seen that viral video of a kid who tells his parents that he is an atheist and his mother flips out getting pissed and violent towards him. Yelling and screaming that he won't get presents for christmas and cutting off his allowance.

Angry moms are not big deal. In a Muslim country, this kid could have had his head chopped off.
0 Replies

neologist

Mon 14 Apr, 2014 10:38 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
You are sounding a bit smug and superior here, Krumple.
Ya think?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Mon 14 Apr, 2014 11:15 am
@Wilso,
Wilso wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Thousands have been claimed. Which are you referring to?

One that Krumple referred to...one that cannot be verified.

Are there any gods that cannot be verified?

I'll ask that of you, Wilso.
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 14 Apr, 2014 11:44 am
@FBM,
Quote:
But among the scientifically literate, they are the exception, rather than the rule.
Ive really never made a study of it because, as such, I really don't give a ****. It doesn't make on a good or bad engineer or scientist> I suppose a Bible toting Fundamentalist would have some problems being an evolutionary biologist or a stratigrapher or paleontologist. But, lets just let em fight it out among themselves if they care.
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 14 Apr, 2014 03:29 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
When you say "conditioning," are you referring to operant, classical or covert conditioning? Or something else? Every phenomenon is conditioned by previous states, so to say something is conditioned is not really saying anything unless you specify a type.

It would be operant when there is a cynical guide creating behaviour which he wants and natural conditioning when that guide is the senses. One of Pavlov's followers rendered a cat neurotic and alcoholic using operant conditioning, in order to prove, I assume, that water drinkers are not neurotic and that reaching for the bottle is a symptom of mental illness.

An' sho shay all of ush. He then rehabilitated the poor thing using natural conditioning so as not to upset any viewers too much. Whether he took that trouble with other experiments which were not recorded I don't know or whether his own conditioning, which led him to avoid upsetting viewers too much, was operant or natural, I have not made my mind up on.

It is a somewhat delicate question and I'm not the sort of bloke for stirring up controversy.

It seems obvious to me that natural conditioning, on its own, is a lot worse than a dead loss. So operant conditioning is, imo, necessary. And an atheist should, as you honourably say, eschew it all. As I do these days. But only because I used to be, at least partially, operantly conditioned.

The only question is what type of operant conditioning fits our present circumstances best. The public are very wary of atheists taking it over.
Germlat

Mon 14 Apr, 2014 04:35 pm
@spendius,
Ate you talking about moral relativity?
spendius

Mon 14 Apr, 2014 05:00 pm
@Germlat,
No. I am talking about pragmatism.

Given that you agree that what I defined as natural conditioning is not a go-er and operant conditioning is necessary, I was simply saying that OC needs must take some form.

I was asking FBM what form it should take.

I know that some people say that NC is the only way and I will defend their right to say it so long as I don't have to get off my sofa.

As I understand these matters people who are impervious to OC are kept in secure units, cradles and intensive care wards.
0 Replies