rosborne979

Wed 11 Dec, 2013 08:53 am
@Frank Apisa,
Gervais' comment has no reflection on theists at all. Just because he makes a statement about atheists doesn't imply any counterpoint to theists, nor do I think he would ever try to make such a point.
Frank Apisa

Wed 11 Dec, 2013 09:15 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Gervais' comment has no reflection on theists at all. Just because he makes a statement about atheists doesn't imply any counterpoint to theists, nor do I think he would ever try to make such a point.

Perhaps you are correct, but as I read the comment, that is exactly what he was doing. Not sure how you can suggest that there is no counterpoint implication for theism...but if you do see it that way...you do.

I acknowledge, however, that he may just have been going for a laugh.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Wed 11 Dec, 2013 10:55 am
Quote:
The International Humanist and Ethical Union (IHEU), a global organization that unites atheists, agnostics, and other religious skeptics, released a study that shows 13 Muslim countries around the world mete out execution of non-believers of Islam, according to a Reuters report.

The Freethought Report 2013 covered all 193 U.N. member states and asked the expertise of lawyers and human rights experts to look into statutes, court records and media accounts to verify the situation of atheists and non-believers.

Look out atheists. Islam will kill you, if they get the chance.

Quote:
IHEU's study this year is more comprehensive. It brought to the fore a full list of countries where execution, usually public beheading, takes place. The study includes Afghanistan, Iran, Malaysia, Maldives, Mauritania, Nigeria, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, United Arab Emirates and Yemen. The list of countries in the study is higher compared to seven out of 60 countries surveyed last year. The study showed that the offenses that warranted public execution are blasphemy and apostasy, or when a believer renounces the faith or switches to another religion.

What century is this?

http://www.jobsnhire.com/articles/7205/20131210/atheists-freethinkers-face-death-penalty-according-study.htm
0 Replies

panzade

Wed 11 Dec, 2013 10:58 am
Interesting battle brewing at the Oklahoma statehouse grounds.

Quote:
Bryan Fischer of the American Family Association said Tuesday that the founding fathers intended the First Amendment to only protect Christianity, not Islam or any other religions.

On his radio program, called Focal Point, Fischer said the word “religion” in the First Amendment referred to Christianity alone. That is why, according to Fischer, Satanists cannot seek equal representation at the Oklahoma statehouse grounds.Fischer noted that a group of Satanists are seeking to erect a monument at the Oklahoma statehouse. The Satanists say the statehouse cannot erect a Ten Commandments monument but deny religious displays that honor other faiths.
coldjoint

Wed 11 Dec, 2013 11:02 am
@panzade,
They are not atheists if they worship the Devil. Try again.
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 11 Dec, 2013 11:05 am
He's going to have a problem with the treaty which Adams sent to the Senate in 1797, and which the Senate approved in a unanimous vote, and the eleventh article of which reads:

As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion,—as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen,—and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.
coldjoint

Wed 11 Dec, 2013 11:11 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
He's going to have a problem with the treaty which Adams sent to the Senate in 1797, and which the Senate approved in a unanimous vote, and the eleventh article of which reads:

Quote:
He (Muhammad) poisoned the sources of human felicity at the fountain, by degrading the condition of the female sex, and the allowance of polygamy; and he declared undistinguishing and exterminating war, as a part of his religion, against all the rest of mankind. The essence of his doctrine was violence and lust: to exalt the brutal over the spiritual part of human nature..

– John Quincy Adams

6th president of the United States

His son didn't seem to think the same way.

https://themuslimissue.wordpress.com/2012/09/16/islamophobes-through-history/
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 11 Dec, 2013 11:20 am
You're not very swift on the uptake, are ya, cold beef patty. The Senate has the sole power to ratify treaties, so what John Quincy Adams thought has nothing to do with it. Furthermore, J. Q. Adams was not saying that the United States is a Christian nation. Thinking is hard, cold beef patty.

By the way, your earlier comment was a straw man fallacy. Panzade didn't say it had anything to do with atheists, just that it's an ineresting story. You really should stay out of the conversation when the grownups are talking to one another.
spendius

Wed 11 Dec, 2013 11:36 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
So apparently people like Gervais think that the only reason theists do not rape and murder...is because of their fear of a god. Which means that non-theists apparently refrain for higher reasons...their personal conviction that they ought not do such things.

Might non-theists refrain because of fear of the law? Catholic morality and the law are as one on rape and murder. So Gervais is using false logic.

Where the Church and the law diverge is his real subject. He is using emotive words to justify sexual promiscuity. Obviously he anticipates a rather backward audience.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Wed 11 Dec, 2013 12:37 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
when the grownups are talking to one another.

Is that all grown ups, or just the arrogant overblown ones like yourself?
cicerone imposter

Wed 11 Dec, 2013 01:10 pm
@coldjoint,
Being "arrogant and overblown" is much better than your "loser always" status that's challenged almost 100% of the time. You're blind to your own ignorance and stupidity.
coldjoint

Wed 11 Dec, 2013 01:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Being "arrogant and overblown" is much better

Suck Puppy.
0 Replies

hingehead

Wed 11 Dec, 2013 02:05 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Late to the party but you really straw manned that one frank. I'm guessing you're not familiar with twitter.
Frank Apisa

Wed 11 Dec, 2013 02:11 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

Late to the party but you really straw manned that one frank. I'm guessing you're not familiar with twitter.

Not sure of what you were almost saying there, H. Give it another try...and I'll respond.
Frank Apisa

Wed 11 Dec, 2013 02:12 pm
@Frank Apisa,
By the way...I do not twitter...or tweat...or whatever it is called. I can answer a telephone...and turn on a computer...but that pretty much uses up my tech prowess.
0 Replies

hingehead

Wed 11 Dec, 2013 02:17 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Gervais was responding to a question from a theist, the bit in the quotation marks. He was literally answering a question not 'saying' anything about Christians. That's all.

I thought it was a concise and original answer to a question atheist are often asked.
Frank Apisa

Wed 11 Dec, 2013 02:27 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

Gervais was responding to a question from a theist, the bit in the quotation marks. He was literally answering a question not 'saying' anything about Christians. That's all.

I thought it was a concise and original answer to a question atheist are often asked.

Ahhh...I get that now.

I was confusing by it when I read it...and my remark should have been directed to whomever he was directing his remark.

Not sure why there are theists who think that the only thing holding society and civilization together is a devotion to gods...but obviously it is much more than that.

Thanks for calling my mistake to my attention, H.
InfraBlue

Wed 11 Dec, 2013 02:33 pm
"If you don't believe in God, why don't you just rape & murder as much as you want?"

This question assumes that people who belive in God don't rape and murder. There are rapists and murderers that do believe in God. I would think that there are more believers among them than non-believers, seeing as how there are more of the former than the latter in the general population.
spendius

Wed 11 Dec, 2013 02:49 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:

I have never heard the question asked of an atheist. It is a question only asked by people who ask it. Which is to say stupid people as I pointed out.

There are some who hate to think of themselves as being scared of the law. Or even of public opinion. It makes them feel cowed.

But if they are not scared of God then the only other explanation for them not succumbing to the temptations of the flesh, which they are encouraged to do up to a legal limit, is that they are impotent or verging on it. It might also be because they know on which side their bread is buttered. aka as "under the cosh".

The man who fears God can disclaim such wimpiness as being the reason he is a very, very good boy.

0 Replies

spendius

Wed 11 Dec, 2013 02:55 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Not sure why there are theists who think that the only thing holding society and civilization together is a devotion to gods...but obviously it is much more than that.

Try mass loss of faith in currency notes and other paper equivalents to get an idea. And if that happens, the gold buffs would say when it happens, it will be a direct consequence of the loss of faith in the Christian God.