neologist

Mon 9 Dec, 2013 02:37 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Actually, my assertion included believers who do not realize the true director of this world.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Mon 9 Dec, 2013 02:37 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Of course there is a way to know for certain that God created the world.

If God appeared in the sky and told us that he was the creator, for example... that would do it for most of us.

I am sure there are many ways to know for certain there is a GOD...IF there is a GOD...and IF the GOD wanted for humans to know.

I have never argued against that, Max...and I have often argued for it.

It is possible for theists to know there is a GOD if there is a GOD (very remote, but at least possible).

If there is no GOD...no atheist can know that. There is no way for an atheist to KNOW there are no gods. But there are conceivable ways for a theist to know there is a GOD.
neologist

Mon 9 Dec, 2013 02:40 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
If there is no GOD...no atheist can know that. There is no way for an atheist to KNOW there are no gods. But there are conceivable ways for a theist to know there is a GOD.
Perhaps no god would appear in the sky with a message in fuchsia neon. Would that help?
hingehead

Mon 9 Dec, 2013 02:44 pm
@Frank Apisa,
As you've said over and over again frank. We get it. And it contributes nothing. Thanks.
cicerone imposter

Mon 9 Dec, 2013 03:08 pm
@neologist,
Frank,
Quote:
But there are conceivable ways for a theist to know there is a GOD.

How? Please provide real evidence, not emotional mumbo jumbo.

And which god are you talking about? The christian god, the muslim god, the buddhist god, the Sikh god, the sun god, the king gods, the animal gods, the hindu gods, jain god, shinto god, confucian god, or taoism?

How about all those Greek gods? Aphrodite, Apollo, Venus, Zeus, Leto, Artemis, Athena, Demeter, and a whole slew of them.

Let's hear your "conceivable ways they know there is a god?"

Frank Apisa

Mon 9 Dec, 2013 03:14 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

As you've said over and over again frank. We get it. And it contributes nothing. Thanks.

Maybe it contributes nothing for you...but it might for others.

So...
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Mon 9 Dec, 2013 03:20 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Frank,
Quote:

How? Please provide real evidence, not emotional mumbo jumbo.

And which god are you talking about? The christian god, the muslim god, the buddhist god, the Sikh god, the sun god, the king gods, the animal gods, the hindu gods, jain god, shinto god, confucian god, or taoism?

How about all those Greek gods? Aphrodite, Apollo, Venus, Zeus, Leto, Artemis, Athena, Demeter, and a whole slew of them.

Let's hear your "conceivable ways they know there is a god?"

No mumbo jumbo, ci.

IF there is a GOD...a GOD who made the entire universe complete with the hundred billion galaxies of which we know each containing billions upon billions of stars...

...and IF the GOD wanted to makes its existence known to humans...

...it would be a piece of cake for the GOD.

For me...it would not have to be that big a deal.

It could, for instance, let every newspaper on the planet know that on March 6th of next year...IT would make the planet Jupiter disappear from the Solar System...and IT would make it reappear three months later.

And then do it.

I'd be convinced.

I don't think it is ever going to happen...and I think any theist guessing there is a GOD is making a blind guess that has no hope at all of ever being proven. But if there is a GOD...at least there is the (very, very, very) remote possibility of it happening.

But for atheists...if there are no gods...there is absolutely no hope for proof whatsoever.
cicerone imposter

Mon 9 Dec, 2013 03:29 pm
@Frank Apisa,
There's a whole bunch of "if's" there, Frank. How about your "conceivable ways they know there is a god?"

There's no "if" there! Mr. Green Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Setanta

Mon 9 Dec, 2013 03:44 pm
@Frank Apisa,
At this point, it's a rhetorical question, Frank. All the sneers and name calling on your part won't change that you've made a claim which you cannot know.
Frank Apisa

Mon 9 Dec, 2013 03:47 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

There's a whole bunch of "if's" there, Frank. How about your "conceivable ways they know there is a god?"

There's no "if" there! Mr. Green Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

It is conceivable that a GOD…IF A GOD EXISTS…could reveal itself to humanity in an unambiguous way, ci.

If you disagree with that...fine.

I stand by it as I wrote it.

IF there is a GOD...and IF the GOD wanted to reveal itself to humanity...

...I have no doubt that the GOD could do it.
Frank Apisa

Mon 9 Dec, 2013 03:53 pm
@Setanta,

Setanta wrote:

At this point, it's a rhetorical question, Frank. All the sneers and name calling on your part won't change that you've made a claim which you cannot know.

Okay...then I cannot know it.

I will revise it so that you can sleep tonight.

Neo…

…since it appears that there are more theists than there are atheists in this world...

…it seems reasonable to guess that there are more people who fail to realize there might not be a GOD who created this world…

…then there are people who fail to “realize” that the “God who created this world is not currently directing its affairs.”

Hope that is better, Jabba. Sleep well!
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 9 Dec, 2013 04:06 pm
That's the kind of sneering, hateful response which we all expect from you Frank. I sleep fine, every night. You come stomping into this thread, and many others like it, to tell people what they can and cannot know--but, in fact, it's often a glaringly obvious case of you not knowing, as was this example. You're pathetic, and you're not very bright at all.
Frank Apisa

Mon 9 Dec, 2013 04:10 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

That's the kind of sneering, hateful response which we all expect from you Frank. I sleep fine, every night. You come stomping into this thread, and many others like it, to tell people what they can and cannot know--but, in fact, it's often a glaringly obvious case of you not knowing, as was this example. You're pathetic, and you're not very bright at all.

Hey, Jabba...did I get that famous temper of yours all worked up.

I think I did.

I love when you lecture people (which you often do) about sneering, hateful responses.

Talk about projection! Oh my! Wink

Anyway...I am delighted you sleep well.

Sorry you feel I am pathetic...and not very bright.

Do come back and talk when you have time.

I always have so much fun interacting with you. Cool
ossobuco

Mon 9 Dec, 2013 04:24 pm
@hingehead,
well writ
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 9 Dec, 2013 04:28 pm
@Frank Apisa,
And Apisa had so much fun interacting with me. He emphasised the point on numerous occasions.

Alas, he has recently decided to resist the pleasure. Why I don't know. It must have been something I said I suppose. Something that tweaked his temper sufficiently to deny himself the fun.

carnie is being thanked for providing Apisa with amusenent on a regular basis on the thread about nothingness.
0 Replies

neologist

Mon 9 Dec, 2013 04:47 pm
@cicerone imposter,
UUHHH!
That was Frank's mumble, not mine.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 9 Dec, 2013 05:38 pm
@Frank Apisa,
You didn't say "It is conceivable...." You said,
Quote:

"There are conceivable ways..." BIG DIFFERENCE.
Frank Apisa

Tue 10 Dec, 2013 05:49 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

You didn't say "It is conceivable...." You said,
Quote:

"There are conceivable ways..." BIG DIFFERENCE.

There ARE conceivable ways for a theist to know there is a GOD.

I mentioned one way:

It is conceivable that a GOD…IF A GOD EXISTS…could reveal itself to humanity in an unambiguous way.

That IS a conceivable way for a theist to know there is a GOD.

If you disagree with that...fine.

I stand by it as I wrote it.

IF there is a GOD...and IF the GOD wanted to reveal itself to humanity...

...I have no doubt that the GOD could do it.

rosborne979

Tue 10 Dec, 2013 06:28 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
IF there is a GOD...and IF the GOD wanted to reveal itself to humanity... ...I have no doubt that the GOD could do it.

On the other hand, a person might think, "I must be dreaming, or delusional", and therefor be unconvinced.

Or a theist might think, "That's not the God I believe in, it must be Satan or some Demon pretending to be God", and therefor be unconvinced.

Or a scientist might think, "This must be a natural phenomena of some kind, maybe a super high-tech alien race simply posing as a deity", and therefor be unconvinced.

I think being "convinced" is something you choose for yourself, not something which can be forced into you. Some people are easily convinced of things, and others aren't.

I grant you that a giant flying spaghetti monster floating in the sky ripping up buildings and yelling "I am God!" might be pretty convincing, but none the less, there are always going to be some who are unconvinced.
Frank Apisa

Tue 10 Dec, 2013 06:31 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
IF there is a GOD...and IF the GOD wanted to reveal itself to humanity... ...I have no doubt that the GOD could do it.

On the other hand, a person might think, "I must be dreaming, or delusional", and therefor be unconvinced.

Or a theist might think, "That's not the God I believe in, it must be Satan or some Demon pretending to be God", and therefor be unconvinced.

Or a scientist might think, "This must be a natural phenomena of some kind, maybe a super high-tech alien race simply posing as a deity", and therefor be unconvinced.

I think being "convinced" is something you choose for yourself, not something which can be forced into you. Some people are easily convinced of things, and others aren't.

I grant you that a giant flying spaghetti monster floating in the sky ripping up buildings and yelling "I am God!" might be pretty convincing, but none the less, there are always going to be some who are unconvinced.

Anything
Quote:
might
happen.

I suggested that it was conceivable...not that it was certain.

As far as I am concerned...if a supposed GOD were to notify all newspapers in the world that it would make the planet Jupiter disappear from the Solar System for several months and then reappear...I would be pretty convinced.

If the GOD then demanded that I worship it...I would immediately become unconvinced.

It is a very complicated...and extremely unlikely scenario...one I brought up only because of the context in which it was raised.
0 Replies