spendius

Wed 6 Apr, 2011 05:17 pm
@spendius,
And if it comes down to hinge versus Spengler I know who my cash is on.
Ionus

Wed 6 Apr, 2011 05:20 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
And if it comes down to hinge versus Spengler I know who my cash is on.
Hmmm....that's a toughy......one is a knowledgeable expert and the other thinks he is a knowledgeable expert.....now, which one is which....don't tell me ! I'll work it out .
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 6 Apr, 2011 05:20 pm
@spendius,
That would be "pound" foolish.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Wed 6 Apr, 2011 06:58 pm
This flaying with Spendius and Ionus is a massive yawn lawn, no doubt from both sides. Sort of a way to take up internet space - for both. Both pov's feed all this.

It is boring.
failures art

Wed 6 Apr, 2011 08:49 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
Did I forget anything important, Failures Art?

Nope! It was a lot of fun and very informational.

A
R
T
0 Replies

failures art

Wed 6 Apr, 2011 08:51 pm
@Setanta,
Oh, so you don't wanna play? Makes no difference to me, Boss.

A
R
T
Ionus

Wed 6 Apr, 2011 11:53 pm
@ossobuco,
I am devastated by your negative opinion...no, wait...I couldnt give a rats arse....sorry, I always get those two confused.....did you take up space to tell us about a waste of space or do you imagine we are hanging for your very next word ?
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 7 Apr, 2011 02:41 am
@failures art,
I've responded to your bullshit, and the straw man in that pathetic video. I don't know what other game you want to play, but if it is nothing more than a tedious rehersal of the crap in that video, you needn't expect much in the way of a response from me.

Do you have anything to add other than the lame arguments you've been using all along?
failures art

Thu 7 Apr, 2011 11:06 am
@Setanta,
I needn't expect much but red assed (you have reminded me of it's color numerous times) indignant contrarian-ism from you Set. Although, I do like many of your posts for exactly that reason.

A
R
T
JTT

Thu 7 Apr, 2011 11:38 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
This is a mere discussion, a talking shop. None of it is important. My position is clear, and nothing for me to get angry about.

Next post.

Quote:
I've responded to your bullshit, and the straw man in that pathetic video. I don't know what other game you want to play, but if it is nothing more than a tedious rehersal of the crap in that video, you needn't expect much in the way of a response from me.

Do you have anything to add other than the lame arguments you've been using all along?

I moved to your front so that I wouldn't get burned from the steam emanating from your ears, Set.
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 8 Apr, 2011 03:57 am
@failures art,
It certainly is convenient for your pose of calm intellectualism to attempt to paint me as "indignant, " or "angry" on any occasion upon which i disagree with you. It's false, though, and if you were honest with yourself, you'd acknowledge it. I have clearly laid out my objections to that silly, pathetic video. I have pointed out that the lack of discrimination in its construction of its hilariously childish condemnation of christian attitudes makes its claims global, and therefore requires proof that all christians think like that.

Unless you provide evidence that that is so, there's really nothing else to discuss.

But you enjoy your posturing here, Fart--it's typical for you to continue to snipe long after you've shown that you have no basis for your argument.

If you actually think of some basis upon which that pathetic video can be justified, let me know.
0 Replies

Thomas

Fri 8 Apr, 2011 06:19 am
@failures art,
I have no interest in getting between the two of you, but I would like to recall a point of good web-forum practice: Don't feed trolls! If you think Setanta is trolling, as your frequent complaints here suggest, ignore him. If you think he isn't, engage him on the merits of what he says. If you think he's part troll, part thoughtful poster, engage the thoughtful parts and ignore the troll parts. For purposes of this post, I'll take no position on what your assessment should be. But your complaints here, like this one about Setanta's "indignant contrarianism", are distracting and unhelpful either way.
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 8 Apr, 2011 06:27 am
Saying that someone is indignant or angry is a rather puerile rhetorical trick which one frequently sees online. It would get you kicked off a high school debate team, but it's very popular on web forums. The intent is to portray one's interlocutor as motivated by uncontrollable emotion, and, by inference, to portary one's self as the voice of calm, sweet reason. It's a pathetic tactic.
spendius

Fri 8 Apr, 2011 06:35 am
@Setanta,
The tactic has a name. The RIC. (Reverse Invidious Comparison). I invented the name on account of the frequency of its use on the evolution threads.
0 Replies

JTT

Fri 8 Apr, 2011 09:17 am
@Setanta,
And once again, you're describing behavior that you have engaged in. You do this all the time. If you weren't steamed you would respond without all the jibes but your posts were loaded with jibes.
spendius

Fri 8 Apr, 2011 05:39 pm
@JTT,
He's steamed alright JT. Goodstyle.
0 Replies

Ionus

Fri 8 Apr, 2011 06:36 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
You do this all the time.
He's always like that . He is here for emotions rather than logic .
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Mon 25 Apr, 2011 08:02 pm
VATICAN CITY – Pope Benedict XVI marked the holiest night of the year for Christians by stressing that humanity isn't a random product of evolution.

Benedict emphasized the Biblical account of creation in his Easter Vigil homily Saturday, saying it was wrong to think at some point "in some tiny corner of the cosmos there evolved randomly some species of living being capable of reasoning and of trying to find rationality within creation, or to bring rationality into it."

"If man were merely a random product of evolution in some place on the margins of the universe, then his life would make no sense or might even be a chance of nature," he said. "But no, reason is there at the beginning: creative, divine reason."

Church teaching holds that Roman Catholicism and evolutionary theory are not necessarily at odds: A Christian can, for example, accept the theory of evolution to help explain developments, but is taught to believe that God, not random chance, is the origin of the world. The Vatican, however, warns against creationism, or the overly literal interpretation of the Bibilical account of creation.

Benedict's voice was hoarse and he coughed several times during the three-hour service, which ended after midnight. It was the second late night in a row for the 84-year-old pontiff following his participation in the Good Friday Way of the Cross procession at Rome's Colosseum, which commemorates Jesus' death.

JTT

Mon 25 Apr, 2011 08:47 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
"But no, reason is there at the beginning: creative, divine reason."

Where did this creative divine reason start? With Ardipethicus ramidus or with Lucy or the Denisovans or the Neanderthals.
cicerone imposter

Mon 25 Apr, 2011 09:00 pm
@JTT,
Long before those times.
0 Replies