cicerone imposter

Mon 24 Jan, 2011 09:49 pm
@Eorl,
Yeah, I was thinking what happens because I don't believe in ghosts. What kind of positives it brought to my life doesn't matter to me one way or another.

On the other hand, all my siblings are christians, and they give money to their church to "spread the word." What kind of positives that brings to their life is a mystery to me, because adding members to their church only enriches the church.

At least their "pope" doesn't ride in bullet-proof MBZ pickups to parade in front of his flock.
0 Replies

hingehead

Tue 25 Jan, 2011 12:24 am
@hingehead,
http://holycrapthatsfunny.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/god.png
0 Replies

hingehead

Tue 25 Jan, 2011 07:55 am
@hingehead,
http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0904/christianity-religion-christianity-atheism-demotivational-poster-1240872513.jpg
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Tue 25 Jan, 2011 07:29 pm
Christians are not stupid people! I myself consider myself to be a christian even though I do not believe in a god the way most people do.

When I say that I am a christian what I am refering to," is that I pick and chose the morals that jesus teaches which is most all of them.
The only things that I do not believe in are the things that can not be proven!

These people believe in much more than I do and I find this to be dangerous to mankind as a whole, Not that they are all evil but they share their knowledge with psychopaths "{The wolves in sheeps clothing} or amoral people and think that they are serving god.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znqfKXodRM4&NR=1&feature=fvwp
reasoning logic

Tue 25 Jan, 2011 08:02 pm
@reasoning logic,
I seem to get things wrong at times! I said Psychopaths or amoral people, what I should have said is extremely delusional people such as themselves.
0 Replies

hingehead

Tue 25 Jan, 2011 10:58 pm
@reasoning logic,
I'd never call all christians stupid, but you obliquely point out one of the problems with formal religion - it professes absolute universal truths, but you call yourself a christian different to other christians, and that you choose what to believe and what not to believe. Not dissimilar to those who call the bible 'god's word' but pick and choose what to interpret literally and what to interpret as mere allegory - there is so much disagreement that 'christian' is almost a meaningless label. And by no means is christianity the only religious sect riddled with this problem.
0 Replies

hingehead

Tue 25 Jan, 2011 10:59 pm
@hingehead,
http://thedevilsdoor.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/atheism_motivational_poster_121.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 25 Jan, 2011 11:05 pm
That's great, Boss, that's one the best so far.
edgarblythe

Wed 26 Jan, 2011 05:39 am
Being Christian does not make one stupid. Most non believers possibly will agree to that. I have no doubt that many Christians are smarter than I. Being Christian does take a certain kind of blindness, but I believe we all have blind spots of one kind or another. As for me, I believe that acceptance of any form of a god, whether Christian or otherwise, is anthropomorphism. Attempting to inject human purpose into a process that predates human purpose.
spendius

Wed 26 Jan, 2011 06:26 am
@edgarblythe,
Yes ed---- but the alternative is not injecting human purpose into the process. There is no middle ground outside of forgetting about it all.

If you don't inject human purpose you become an automaton. A molecule in a reaction.
spendius

Wed 26 Jan, 2011 06:30 am
@edgarblythe,
What have you got against anthropomorphism ed? Has somebody conditioned your brain to think it is a weakness?
0 Replies

hingehead

Wed 26 Jan, 2011 07:35 am
@hingehead,
A silly one...

[youtube]http://cdn-www.i-am-bored.com/media/opvsjc.jpg[/youtube]
0 Replies

Krumple

Wed 26 Jan, 2011 08:36 am
@spendius,
Quote:
If you don't inject human purpose you become an automaton. A molecule in a reaction.

Actually most theists become automatons anyways because they abandon any sort of thinking in regards to what they believe. Many of them just rehash the same comments over and over like mantras and never take the time to consider if what they believe is actually true or not. They no longer think for themselves because they are taught by the theology not to.
spendius

Wed 26 Jan, 2011 09:27 am
@Krumple,
It is a well known Fabian scientific doctrine laid down by Sidney Webb that we have no right to think for ourselves.

"We have no right to live our own lives", he said. He was, of course, like all Fabians, an atheist. A proper one.

Your comments are based on your perceptions of some theists you have encountered. My comment was based on a general principle which logically arises out of the rejection of purpose in life.

I don't accept your assertions. Is it just a coincidence that human rights are of far greater importance in Christian societies than in communist ones? I don't think it is a coincidence. I am, however, prepared to consider that our emphasis on human rights will cause our ruination. Are you?
cicerone imposter

Wed 26 Jan, 2011 10:54 am
@spendius,
Hey, spendi, do you always believe what one person claims? You must be one confused dude!
eduece92483

Wed 26 Jan, 2011 12:09 pm
@littlek,
So your an atheist huh??? don't worry you don't have to answer, it's a retorical question; one which I already know the answer to.
I just wanted to let you know I have read Dawkin's 'The God Delusion' and after doing so I can say I was an atheist for a while. Then while at Borders Books one day I happened to pick up a copy of Dawkins 'The Greatest Show on Earth'. After reading that book I believed in God. I really though deeply believe that God is the greatest show. It's just that God isn't on Earth like Dawkins you and I. I mean do you really think that this world we know in all its randomness is really Godless to the extent that some one did not create it all.
0 Replies

eduece92483

Wed 26 Jan, 2011 12:11 pm
So your an atheist huh??? don't worry you don't have to answer, it's a retorical question; one which I already know the answer to.
I just wanted to let you know I have read Dawkin's 'The God Delusion' and after doing so I can say I was an atheist for a while. Then while at Borders Books one day I happened to pick up a copy of Dawkins 'The Greatest Show on Earth'. After reading that book I believed in God. I really though deeply believe that God is the greatest show. It's just that God isn't on Earth like Dawkins you and I. I mean do you really think that this world we know in all its randomness is really Godless to the extent that some one did not create it all.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 26 Jan, 2011 12:20 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Hey, spendi, do you always believe what one person claims? You must be one confused dude!

What have you in mind with that profound remark ci.?
cicerone imposter

Wed 26 Jan, 2011 12:38 pm
@spendius,
You wrote:
Quote:
"We have no right to live our own lives"

In other words, you believe that all atheists believe what one person says? Your implication is that all religious people believe what one person says; is that true?
spendius

Wed 26 Jan, 2011 12:45 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I said no such thing. I reported a prominent and influential atheist as saying it. Two-bit atheists just fanny about.

I notice you made no comment about what I did say about human rights in Christian countries compared to human rights under atheist regimes. Not that I blame you.

Quote:
Your implication is that all religious people believe what one person says; is that true?

No. I don't think that.