ossobuco

Thu 20 Jan, 2011 04:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
Probably that little devil...

So, is that a bad thing to do? (There are cottonwoods aplenty here, but I'm cottonwood ignorant).
edgarblythe

Thu 20 Jan, 2011 04:16 pm
@ossobuco,
Cottonwood, according to an expert I know, burns hot and fast. There are better kinds of wood to burn.
panzade

Thu 20 Jan, 2011 04:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
Some banjos comes to mind....
edgarblythe

Thu 20 Jan, 2011 05:04 pm
@panzade,
Depends whose banjos you mean. Very Happy
0 Replies

hingehead

Thu 20 Jan, 2011 05:26 pm
@hingehead,
Today's first:

http://i.imgur.com/a6UPU.jpg
0 Replies

hingehead

Thu 20 Jan, 2011 08:10 pm
@hingehead,
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_stQtE0ofGc4/SJ6Fna5DuDI/AAAAAAAAAJY/d4iomWa3aEs/s320/atheism.gif
spendius

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 06:48 am
@hingehead,
Have you got any ideas of your own hinge?

Christians don't believe in thousands of things. They have thousands of religions. Same with atheists really I suppose.
JPB

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 08:31 am
@spendius,
Precisely.
0 Replies

littlek

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 12:03 pm
@spendius,
Hingehead's posts, at this point, are one of the only reasons I come back into this thread.
spendius

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 12:21 pm
@littlek,
One might think you would have the manners to write his username as he gives it then liTTleK.
littlek

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 12:25 pm
@spendius,
Seriously?
spendius

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 12:32 pm
@littlek,
Only a little bit.
0 Replies

Oylok

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 01:47 pm
Well, more sad news on my life among the god botherers... Rolling Eyes

Yesterday, I received a chain letter (by email) from a born-again asking me to put Christ first in my life. Once I had done so I was to forward the letter to 12 people. One of those 12 was supposed to be the same person who originally sent the letter--his way of checking that I had done my homework, I suppose.

Does that happen often to the rest of you? I'm sure it must, but how often? I rue the day mankind ever gave birth to electronic mail.

(I have never heard of atheists sending around chain letters asking people to publicly renounce their beliefs in God.)
spendius

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 02:23 pm
@Oylok,
It's never happened to me.

Maybe you should try it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 03:02 pm
I failed to report that yesterday at ten a.m. my doorbell rang, binnnnng bonnnng.
I failed to rise from my computer chair.
Well, it could be a neighbor, so I eventually checked; blank look through the hidey hole that came with the door and the house into the sands of our petroglyphic abodes. I opened the door, and paper dropped. Yes, yes, Jehovah's Witnesses.
Foiled them again, eh what?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 03:38 pm
@Oylok,
I have a cousin and her husband that mean a lot to me. The way we deal with stuff, ever so maturely - I say sarcastically, is that, given we know all our multiple disagreements, we are by now glad each other are alive and kicking. Well, to be truthful, I'm not sure they fully get just how horrible I am, nor that I get just how fulminating right plus religious they are (he used to be a john birtcher, for example). I base my ability to go with this on my cousin's basic goodness (she rode to the cause back in the day in Mississippi, that plus many actions in the rest of her life.). Plus they both have accumulated wisdom - not that they agree with me more, but that there is some mutual acceptance going on.

So, to me, whom you all know as a dolt re computers and things like 'the cloud', although not entirely internet stupid (that's my ex, he still uses AOL) the whole thing of chain letters and a million not very cute jokes is a subject of concern.

I lost an acquaintance once from remonstrating with her about listing me among dozens of people on emails sans bcc. I suppose tone matters though I was trying to be nicey.
Alternately, I've helped a few catch on to how to use that.

I never respond to chain ****.
I told the cousins separately not to send me political jokes.
I actually like political jokes if they're good, from whatever side, but the swath was too much. A pal has the opposite tact, and engages with jokes back, but I don't want to go there.

So, Oylok, you have to figure out where you fall on all this, and then just say so.
spendius

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 04:15 pm
@ossobuco,
I don't believe you are horrible osso.
ossobuco

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 04:25 pm
@spendius,
I like you too, Spendi. Except when you aggravate the hell out of me, which is often. Once in a while even then. But not always.
ossobuco

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 04:35 pm
@ossobuco,
Back to the rest of our atheist experiences..
spendius

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 06:21 pm
@ossobuco,
I like Bernard Shaw's the best.