ossobuco

Wed 10 Feb, 2010 07:37 pm
@ossobuco,
My childhood memories were that all these people were sincere.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Wed 10 Feb, 2010 07:39 pm
@Diest TKO,
Any group that...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Wed 10 Feb, 2010 08:02 pm
Thing is, groups by and for atheists are not interesting to me. I have searched atheist sites and even joined some, but never found any conversations there that I felt like were worth my time.
ossobuco

Wed 10 Feb, 2010 08:03 pm
@edgarblythe,
On a lot of things, I agree with you, edgar... but, I never checked out sites. I'm really not very aggressive on this. In other words, we have the same instincts.
Eorl

Wed 10 Feb, 2010 08:09 pm
@ossobuco,
I like to share this at every opportunity;

http://thesciencenetwork.org/programs/beyond-belief-science-religion-reason-and-survival

Sam Harris's sessions are especially enjoyable.
edgarblythe

Wed 10 Feb, 2010 08:27 pm
We will always have the fundamentalists to contend with, in one form or another. The trick is to build a life in a fabric that allows them to pass through without disrupting your goals. Not always easy, but possible.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Wed 10 Feb, 2010 08:34 pm
@Eorl,
I take this as a task, and I'm not interested in tasks. However, I'm interested in your posts, eorl, and, as you know, edgar.

We'll see. I am not a searcher. I post on a2k re religion to keep apprised, and mostly ignore if I am apprised.

On to Sam Harris. I've heard the name and not paid attention.
littlek

Wed 10 Feb, 2010 08:37 pm
I did join a group on meetup.com, I didn't end up going to any meets because they seemed a bit fanatic - or some of them did. I may go to one someday if the venue is an interesting one (the one for the physics lecture booked up fast!).
0 Replies

Thomas

Wed 10 Feb, 2010 08:43 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
On to Sam Harris. I've heard the name and not paid attention.

He's a neurobiologist and an interesting writer. I'm pretty sure your library has his books The End of Faith and Letter to a Christian Nation. I recommend them both.
ossobuco

Wed 10 Feb, 2010 09:12 pm
@Thomas,
All right, I suppose I'll make the drive. Now that I can see well, I am still slightly scared. All quite odd, as Im ordinarily ballsy.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Wed 10 Feb, 2010 09:25 pm
Never mind me, let's look at Sam Harris.
In my case, manana.
0 Replies

George

Wed 10 Feb, 2010 09:41 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
. . . We had missionaries to dinner. No, not for. Now, there would have been a childhood.

Wonderful! I'm gonna chuckle about that for days.
ossobuco

Wed 10 Feb, 2010 09:45 pm
@George,
I'm trying to remember the fellow from from Formosa. Father La Sage?

We had some great people for dinner... at the table. I just looked up Colonel John Graig, the guy who had the tv series, danger is my business.. and I see all these perplexed people who don't get his role in early diving history. I suppose I should post on his thread, but I just remember his stories. People on threads are saying they never saw it. I lived it all at our table.

Well, my childhood wasn't boring.
ossobuco

Wed 10 Feb, 2010 09:51 pm
@ossobuco,
excuse me, colonel john d. craig
0 Replies

Seed

Thu 11 Feb, 2010 04:55 am
Iraq made me see things a lot differently. It made me question things that I never questioned before. It made my heart very hard. But then again, I was surrounded by a lot of people who were going through the same things and asking a lot of the same questions. Mostly "how could this happen" "why would anyone let this happen" and so on. I have never been a strong christian. My pastor would tell me I ask to many questions. But questions are good, they help you get to the bottom of things.

I think I hang on to the fact of a God and an afterlife because when I finally die, i don't want it to be the end. I would like to know there is something more after death. Fear of the unknown is a powerful thing.
Eorl

Thu 11 Feb, 2010 05:13 am
@Seed,
Sure is. Thousands of years of religion depend upon it.
Seed

Thu 11 Feb, 2010 05:23 am
@Eorl,
So my question to atheist is this: Do you not care what happens after you die? Any thoughts on what happens? Just dirt, dust and worms?
Eorl

Thu 11 Feb, 2010 05:35 am
@Seed,
Well for myself, yeah that's what happens. Am I ok with it? Hell no! It sucks big time. Even worse, people I've loved whom I must accept also are simply dead

But no amount of wishful thinking is going to change that.

I once asked myself; if there was no god religion or afterlife, would we invent one? If we made it up, what would it look like? Every possible human construction loosely divided by geography? Yep.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Thu 11 Feb, 2010 05:41 am
@Seed,
Seed wrote:

So my question to atheist is this: Do you not care what happens after you die? Any thoughts on what happens? Just dirt, dust and worms?

I care very much. Many people tell me it's no big deal to be dead. But I don't want to be that way. I want to live. I do believe death is total and permanent.
0 Replies

Eorl

Thu 11 Feb, 2010 06:13 am
Seed, have you got plenty of support around you? Frankly I am a little concerned about encouraging you dismantling any of your mental support structures at a time when you are dealing with such seriously heavy ****.
0 Replies