Ionus

Sun 21 Nov, 2010 03:24 am
@north,
Quote:
the poplulace of Iran are perhaps are better , not better , a good people , as opposed to those who represent them
Can you have another go at what you were trying to express ?
0 Replies

Setanta

Sun 21 Nov, 2010 05:15 am
@littlek,
littlek wrote:
I for one wanted to know much more about the first civilizations. There was mention of the Indus River civilizations, but no discussion on the region..... yet. maybe it's coming.

I am mystified as to why the Hebrews would be included in such a list. I know of no cultural artefact unique to that people. There are several people who have not been included in the list you gave, yet the Hebrews are there. The only good reason for them to appear there is because of the religious heritage which the christians imposed on European cultures, and that's comparative religion, not history. More than that, Judaism in the form with which we are familiar does not appear until the 6th century BCE at the earliest (they were still revising their scripture at that point). If you are going to be talking about foundational cultures at that late date in the ancient time scale, what about the Medes and the Persians?
Setanta

Sun 21 Nov, 2010 05:22 am
@north,
Incredibly ill-informed. The evidence is that Franklin's 1845 expedition failed because they were the self-inflicted victims of long-term, pernicious lead poisoning from the lead solder in the cans of food they used.

Long, long before Franklin's final expedition set out, William Parry had successfully overwintered in the artic region of North America precisely because he took heed of the diet of the Eskimos (Inuit) he encountered. That was in 1819. Franklin himself first ventured into arctic North America in 1819, leading an overland expedition. That was more than 25 years before his final, fatal expedition. On the overland expedition, he relied upon local aboriginal Americans to do the hunting for his expedition, and to find and cache food for them. They would not have survived without the aid of the Amerindians.

So, i guess you really don't know what the hell you're talking about, huh?
Setanta

Sun 21 Nov, 2010 05:28 am
While we're at it, what the hell is "primate people" supposed to mean? Are you suggesting that the aboriginal Americans were monkeys?
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Sun 21 Nov, 2010 07:35 am
eurocelticyankee

Sun 21 Nov, 2010 07:36 am
@eurocelticyankee,
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Sun 21 Nov, 2010 07:40 am
Quote:
JESUS
The bartender was washing his glasses, and an elderly Irishman came in and with great difficulty, hoisted his bad leg over the barstool, pulled himself up painfully, asked for a sip of Irish whiskey.
The Irishman looked down the bar and said, "Is that Jesus down there?" The bartender nodded and the Irishman told him to give Jesus an Irish whiskey also.
The next patron was an ailing Italian with a hunched back and slowness of movement. He shuffled up to the barstool and asked for a glass of Chianti. He also looked down the bar and asked if that was Jesus sitting down there. The bartender nodded and the Italian said to give Him a glass of Chianti, also.
The third patron, a redneck, swaggered in dragging his knuckles on the floor and hollered. "Barkeep, set me up a cold one. Hey, is that God's Boy down there?" The barkeep nodded, and the redneck told him to give Jesus a cold one too.
As Jesus got up to leave, he walked over to the Irishman and touched him and said, "For your kindness, you are healed!" The Irishman felt the strength come back to his leg, and he got up and danced a jig to the door.
Jesus touched the Italian and said, "For your kindness you are healed!" The Italian felt his back straighten and he raised his hands above his head and did a flip out the door.
Jesus walked toward the redneck, and the redneck jumped back and exclaimed, "Don't touch me, I'm drawing disability!"
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Sun 21 Nov, 2010 07:49 am
Quote:
Sh-t happens In Every Religion

Taoism
Sh-t happens.
Buddhism
If sh-t happens, it's not really sh-t.
Islam
If sh-t happens, it's the will of Allah.
Protestantism
Sh-t happens because you don't work hard enough.
Judaism
Why does this sh-t always happen to us?
Hinduism
This sh-t happened before.
Catholicism
Sh-t happens because you're bad.
Hare Krishna
Sh-t happens rama rama.
T.V. Evangelism
Send more sh-t.
Atheism
No sh-t.
Jehovah's Witness
Knock knock, sh-t happens.
Hedonism
There's nothing like a good sh-t happening.
Christian Science
Sh-t happens in your mind.
Agnosticism
Maybe sh-t happens, maybe it doesn't.
Rastafarianism
Let's smoke this sh-t.
Existentialism
What is sh-t anyway?
Stoicism
This sh-t doesn't bother me.
0 Replies

littlek

Sun 21 Nov, 2010 08:15 am
@Setanta,
Set - that's sort of my point, but you are filling in the gaps I left nicely. Hebrews and the bible are mentioned. Medes are mentioned only in that they helped overthrow Assyria, and because Nebuchadnezzar's wife was a Mede hence the Hanging Gardens. Persians are mentioned because they overthrew Neo Babylonia. Maybe in time it will all become clearer - maybe we're doing parallel developments - maybe Hebrews were mentioned as a way to introduce Egyptians?
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Sun 21 Nov, 2010 08:58 am
Quote:
Uruk (Akkad), Iraq

Uruk, situated 250 km south of Baghdad, on an ancient branch of the Euphrates River in Iraq, known in the Bible as Erech (now Warka), is the first major city in Sumer built in the 5th century BC, and is considered one of the largest Sumerian settlements and most important religious centers in Mesopotamia. It was continuously inhabited from about 5000 BC up to the 5th century AD.

Gilgamesh, the King of the city's first dynasty and hero of the famous epic named after him, built the walls of the city 4700 years ago as Cuneiform texts indicates, and the Eanna (house of An) temple complex there, dedicated to the goddess Inanna, or Ishtar (goddess of love, procreation, and war), which is symbolized by the star Venus. Her worship went to the Greeks and Romans under the name of Aphrodite or Venus, who had exactly the same attributes as Ishtar.

Uruk was an important city on two scores: religion and science, which is confirmed by the thousands of clay tablets dug up in it that goes back to the beginnings of writing about 5000 years ago - in the invention of which Uruk played a major role. Excavations have revealed a series of very important structures and deposits of the 4th millennium BC and the site has given its name to the period that succeeded the "Ubaid" and proceeded the "Jemdet Nasr" periods of ancient Mesopotamia.

The Uruk period saw the emergence of urban life in Mesopotamia and led to the full civilization of the Early Dynastic period. It is not always fully realized how unique the site of Uruk was at this time: it was by far the largest settlement, with the most impressive buildings and the earliest evidence of writing.

It would be true to say that Uruk was Mesopotamia's - and the World's - first city. It seems to have started as two separate settlements, Kullaba and Eanna, which coalesced in the Uruk period to form a town covering 80 hectares; at the height of its development in the Early Dynastic period, the city walls were 9.5 km long, enclosing a massive 450 hectares, and may have housed some 50,000 people.

In the heart of the city are two large temple complexes: the Anu (god of the sky) sanctuary, belonging originally to Kullaba, and the Eanna sanctuary, dedicated to Ishtar, known by scholars as the Mosaic Temple of Uruk, which rises to a height of 16 m on a square base measuring 60x60 m. Both complexes have revealed several successive temple-structures of the Uruk period, including the White Temple in the Anu sanctuary and the Limestone and Pillar Temples in the Eanna sanctuary. A characteristic form of decoration involves the use of clay cones with painted tops pressed into the mud plaster facing the buildings - a technique known as clay cone mosaic.

On the northwest side of the Eanna sanctuary is a Ziggurat (an ancient Mesopotamian temple tower consisting of a lofty pyramidal structure built in successive stages with outside staircases and a shrine at the top, where the priests ruled from) laid out by Ur-Nammu of Ur in the Ur III period (late 3rd millennium BC).

Evidence from the deep trench excavated in the Eanna sanctuary has cast much light on the developments of the Uruk period. The most important of these was undoubtedly the development of writing. The earliest Clay Tablets appear in late Uruk levels; they are simple labels and lists with pictographic symbols. Tablets from slightly later levels of the "Jemdet Nasr" phase, show further developments towards the Cuneiform script of the Early Dynastic period.

The city remained important throughout the 3rd millennium BC, but declined in importance during the later part of that period. It remained in occupation throughout the following 2 millennia, down to the Parthian period, but only as a minor center.

Indeed, Uruk played an important role in the mythology of the Mesopotamian civilizations to the end.

It's a start.
cicerone imposter

Sun 21 Nov, 2010 12:32 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
ecy, Thanks for the jesus joke, and your last post on Uruk. Interesting stuff that I'm learning for the first time.

I don't think I've ever welcomed you to a2k, so here"s:

WELCOME TO A2K.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Sun 21 Nov, 2010 01:22 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

Atheists live in a world dominated by religion - it's a know your enemy kind of thing.

The religious are considered the enemy?
Intrepid

Sun 21 Nov, 2010 01:27 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

One can't exist without the other.

Religion can't exist without atheism? Quite the interesting hypothesis you have there.
Francis

Sun 21 Nov, 2010 01:29 pm
@Intrepid,
Not by this atheist.

They are a nuisance with their proselytism and their insistence to "save" my soul..
Intrepid

Sun 21 Nov, 2010 01:31 pm
@Francis,
Why would they want to do that and how? Nobody can save somebody else's "soul".
cicerone imposter

Sun 21 Nov, 2010 01:31 pm
@Francis,
Try to image this; my siblings continue in their attempts to "save my soul."
Francis

Sun 21 Nov, 2010 01:33 pm
@Intrepid,
I don't know, I'm not religious.

But you, maybe you can tell me why they do insist?
Francis

Sun 21 Nov, 2010 01:34 pm
@cicerone imposter,
That's the proof of a nuisance...
0 Replies

spendius

Sun 21 Nov, 2010 01:41 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
Quote:
Ishtar (goddess of love, procreation, and war),

That's where to start.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sun 21 Nov, 2010 01:49 pm
@Intrepid,
Intrepkid, Your negativity shows up everywhere; what are you trying to prove? Your ignorance?

You probably never heard of missionaries who traveled all over this planet to "save souls." That's one of the reasons why christianity can be found in most countries. Try to figure it out if you can - which I doubt with your limited capacity to understand world events.