The A2K Fantasy Winter Olympics Vancouver 2010

George

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 09:58 am
T.G., did you credit Slovenia?
They picked up a bronze in cross-country.
George

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 10:00 am
@littlek,
I gotta admit, I don't get the 'boarders.
Seems like some kind of middle-school ethos going on.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 10:50 am
The other boarders didn't bug me. I think this is a personality conflict. He was an incredible snow boarder.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 12:18 pm
@realjohnboy,
Watching the race last night, the commentators where showing in slow motion how Vonn was often favoring one leg and essentially landed a jump on one ski. I think the comment was something like "a very dangerous way to ski." I think the injury is real enough, but I knew she'd ski anyway.
engineer

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 12:18 pm
@tgordon92,
Quote:
15) engineer 69

Back in the basement.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 02:55 pm
With all the rescheduling, this may be the first
Winter Olympics to finish in the spring.
djjd62

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 02:57 pm
@engineer,
age is a big factor, 4 years is along time to wait, but then again the rest of your life with a bum leg is pretty tough too
djjd62

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 02:58 pm
@George,
vancouver and winter can be real crap shoot
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 03:03 pm
@djjd62,
True, but you knew she'd do it anyway, right? She's in her twenties, the best in the world and invincible. No question she's going down that slope.
Seed

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 03:05 pm
@engineer,
Did you guys see the story of the lady in the cross country sprints? She fell into a ditch during a practice run and was carried out that day then came back and ran four more races and won the gold (maybe silver) medal. After the race she collapsed and had to be carried off the field and taken to the doctor, she had four broken ribs from the fall in the ditch.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 04:06 pm
Vonn (U.S. Women) missed a gate and fell, missing out on a chance for a 2nd gold. A German woman won. That is good for me.
0 Replies

tgordon92

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 07:43 pm
@George,
George - Thanks for the correction. I mistakenly credited Slovenia's bronze to Slovakia. The next update will reflect the correct medal count.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 07:48 pm
Gotta admit I was very happy with the speed-skating event that ended up with a Canada-Netherlands-Netherlands podium! hooooooooooray!!!
realjohnboy

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 07:56 pm
@ehBeth,
Hmm. I have Canadian Women and the Netherlands on my team. Sweet. I may be able to hold on to a spot in the middle of the rankings here.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 08:01 pm
@realjohnboy,
moi aussi. I'm countin' on it to keep me out of the cellar tonight Laughing
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 08:37 pm
Olympic athletes go for the gold.
It strikes me as somewhat ironic that some of us here do not aspire on this game and the others that we play to finish in 1st place. Rather, we seek to not finish at the bottom of the rankings.
Why is that?
Perhaps we are insecure. Or perhaps we fully realize that we have no idea about what is going on in the sports we are watching and playing along with. And if we can not end up last, that is good.
My head is spinning. Where is Spendius to clear this us?
ehBeth

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 08:46 pm
@realjohnboy,
I think it's quite simple. I don't want to put in the time and energy it would take to actually find out how different teams and athletes are rated/anticipated to place. It's a game to me - much as Crazy 8's or Go Fish.

I consider it entertainment. If the energy spent on picking a team outweighed the fun/banter/rjb storyhours, I wouldn't participate.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 07:06 am
@realjohnboy,
Or, some of us don't give a damn about finishing first or last and just feel like participating in the topic.
engineer

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 07:22 am
@jespah,
I picked my countries pretty much at random. (Of course, that shows in my standing). It makes the games more interesting to have some small stake, but I don't have the time or desire to dig into which athletes are favored to win events that I only see once every four years.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 07:24 am
Everybody plays to finish in first place. It's just not as big a deal for some as
for others. I doubt anyone is shooting for middle as such, only that, given the
amount of work they care to do, the middle is a reasonable goal.