msolga

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 11:38 pm
@tsarstepan,
They look absolutely splendid, tsar, but sadly, due to limited finances, I am stuck with the home I have.

Not that I mind so much, really.

I am a creature of habit & put down deep roots in any place I live in for longer than 5 minutes! (A very typical Pisces characteristic, I'm reliably informed. Wink )

Anyway, this (where I am) is it! For better or for worse. I'm here for the long haul.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 11:43 pm
@msolga,
If you have this guy/demon to serve you then he can physically alter your home into a moving castle:
Meet Calcifer, the life and animated motivations behind Howl's Moving Castle....
http://www.davidyardt.fr/wp-content/gallery/calcifer/calcifer.jpg
msolga

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 11:43 pm
@tsarstepan,
No, I haven't met this guy ... yet! Laughing
msolga

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 11:51 pm
@msolga,
... unlike these fellows who intend to take to the high seas! Smile
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 11:54 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

http://media.vam.ac.uk/media/thira/collection_images/2009CC/2009CC8915_jpg_l.jpg

Just curious? What's the dimensions of the real stained glass window?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 12:03 am
My object of desire: A dog. I will never have one. Makes me sad.
msolga

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 12:06 am
@Roberta,
Quote:
My object of desire: A dog. I will never have one. Makes me sad.

Darling Roberta, I so wish I could arrange that for you!
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 12:09 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
If you buy a brand new automobile, when you drive it off the lot, you lose from 40% to 60% of it's purchase price. I don't consider depreciation to be a valid objection to owning a boat.

Hell I think that depreciation is a damn good reason not to buy new cars as well, getting it a year old is a sweet spot. When it's a houseboat the depreciation of your main asset (for most people) as opposed to its appreciation when it's an actual house would be a significant factor in their lives.

Depreciation is something that should be considered in any purchase, especially one of such magnitude (for someone like me a houseboat would be a big deal).
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 12:09 am
@Roberta,
Roberta? Maybe when I get a job, I'll get a small dog in which you can borrow on a needed occasion? Do corgi's come in minisizes? I would need a small size dog I can take on the subway and to work. Don't want to leave him stuck in my bedroom all day long.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 12:11 am
@msolga,
Thanks, I have a more pessimistic outlook and I think I'd need a lot of luck to reach the ambitions I have, but I think I'll have a lot of fun trying either way.
msolga

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 12:11 am
@msolga,
... but i know, I know all too well, all of the associated problems.

If anyone should have (at least one!) resident critter, it is you. It'd be the most fortunate critter on the planet, that's what I think.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 12:12 am
@tsarstepan,
I was thinking along the same lines. I can't take care of a dog right now, I need to settle down. We can co-share a dog!
msolga

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 12:13 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
... but I think I'll have a lot of fun trying either way.

Oh I'm absolutely certain you will, Robert!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 12:15 am
@Robert Gentel,
You realize the dog would need a passport and would gain a lot of air miles? Wink
Roberta

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 12:41 am
@tsarstepan,
I wouldn't mind sharing a dog. I'm home a lot--except when I'm not. But international sharing might be a bit difficult, logistically and financially, Robert.

Tsar and I are in the same city. I wouldn't mind an occasional canine visit. And I'd even let the human owner in--as long as he promises to behave.

Tsar, I think you underestimate the size of a corgi. Not designed for subway and bus travel. But I'm not fussy about breeds. Any canine would be welcome in my home. Makes me smile just thinking about it.
dlowan

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 01:24 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

msolga wrote:
(I actually meant no offense, Thomas & Robert. Truly sorry if I you feel offended.)

Not at all, but the stuff I most want right now is a bit more intangible. I don't really want a car and house etc, as that just pins me down somewhere. I want the time, money and resources (often human) to build cool stuff.

The stuff I dream about owning are things like companies (Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, Apple), or infrastructure (fiber lines, datacenters), or services (bandwidth, SaS), patent portfolios (tech companies hoard these and they can be powerful), and man hours (time, human resources) so that I can build some of the things I dream about.

So I guess I really want the world's leading search engine, biggest website stuff like that. Does that count as an object?

If not, the object I most want I guess would be a big boat to live on. It's kinda like a house but kinda mobile. Thing is, it's a depreciating asset, requires maintenance, I don't like being on a boat all the time.....

Ok, I want Google. That is my final answer.

I think that is a very reasonable answer.

It would encompass the others.

Except for sanity and sleep.

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 01:28 am
This house:

I don't love the house's looks that much, I just want the view!!!

http://z.about.com/d/studenttravel/1/0/9/N/great-ocean-road-west.jpg

http://z.about.com/d/studenttravel/1/0/B/N/helicopter-view-12-apostles.jpg
msolga

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 03:10 am
@dlowan,
What a location, Deb! Stunning.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 03:14 am
@dlowan,
Beautiful pictures!

David