msolga

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 05:33 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
The only car I've ever wanted:

Yes? Could you tell us a bit more, boomerang?
I'd love to know the full story!
littlek

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 05:35 pm
Fman - We don't have a boat. When we did, it wasn't that fast or that big.

MsO, thanks, me too.

Boomer - love that Mustang!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 05:36 pm
@farmerman,
(here I go again. Sorry.)

What are you gonna do in that there thing, farmer?
Take to the sea, obviously, but ... where why, how?

(You know what I mean! Smile )
boomerang

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 05:46 pm
@msolga,
I don't know what it is about those mid-60s Mustangs, msolga but I've adored them since the mid-60s. Truly it is the only thing I covet. I think it is one of the most beautiful designs of any object, not just among cars.

And it's crazy because I am so not into cars. I didn't learn to drive until I was in my mid-20s, I've only owned three cars in my life -- I have driven the current one for 17 years. Once in a while we talk about replacing it and I say not until I can have a mid-60s Mustang.

Maybe when I'm 65 I'll be able to drive a 65 Mustang!

msolga

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 05:51 pm
@boomerang,
Thanks for obliging, boomerang.
After that post , I had to go back & have another look.

http://image.automotive.com/f/images/9323439+pheader/mufp_0709_02_z+1965_mustang_GT_convertible+side.jpg

Quote:
Truly it is the only thing I covet. I think it is one of the most beautiful designs of any object, not just among cars.

I see your point! Yes! Very Happy
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 05:52 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
Excellent work, David!
Thank u, Olga.

msolga wrote:
(Sounds like quite a coin collection you've got there.)
I also have a $20 Gold piece from 1850
(after thay struck Gold in California in 1849)
and a silver dinarius, or dime, from the reign of Tiberius Caesar, when Jesus was alive
and another dinarius 150 years older, from the Roman Republic.

David
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 05:59 pm
@msolga,
That's a mini ship that has a 6000 mi range (with 1500 gal tank). I would so love to take to the open sea before I get too old to know why . The Talaria is about the most compact and luxurious of the "pleasure tug" movement. MAinships are another more affordable but less desirable tug.
The Talaria 65 uses about 3.5 gal per hour at 17 knot cruising . ANyplace on earth is available to cruise, save only the many million for the boat and 5000$ for each fillup ( the marinas do treat you to a free meal though)
msolga

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 06:12 pm
@farmerman,
Thank you for obliging, too, farmer.

A lovely wish, a perfectly understandable one from a soul who loves the sea.

When you get that totally unexpected huge windfall, I think you just might get to do it, you know! Very Happy
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 06:21 pm
I assume we are talking material goods and not things like world peace.
This is a bit of regret. Many years ago I was traveling around Europe and I saw this stained glass window in the Victoria Albert Museum. They were selling the exact replica (fired glass, not a postcard) in their gift shop and I didn't buy it because I was planning to do a lot more traveling and I thought I would break it. When I returned back to the states I forgot about it until I was sitting in a class about late medieval stained glass and up it popped on the screen. I contacted the museum to try and buy the replica but they said it was no longer in production and out of stock. The fact that it's the first thing I thought of when reading Msolga's post must mean it's still haunting me.

http://media.vam.ac.uk/media/thira/collection_images/2009CC/2009CC8915_jpg_l.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 06:23 pm
@boomerang,
A boyfriend had an old Jaguar that broke down on a cross country trip. It wasn't why I liked him, but it didn't hurt. Another had an earlier mustang than that in the photo, by at least two years. Of course, it was not mine. A boyfriend had a porsche. Alas, I did not love him. A husband had a later Jaguar, alas I did love him, but no matter.

I'm fine with my near antique volvo.

msolga

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 06:30 pm
@Green Witch,
Quote:
When I returned back to the states I forgot about it until I was sitting in a class about late medieval stained glass and up it popped on the screen. I contacted the museum to try and buy the replica but they said it was no longer in production and out of stock. The fact that it's the first thing I thought of when reading Msolga's post must mean it's still haunting me.

Oh. I'm feeling your regret with you, Green Witch. What a lost opportunity. It's just beautiful.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 06:36 pm
@ossobuco,
Dunno quite why, osso, but that made me feel a little melancholy.

History.

Sigh.

Men & cars.

Water under the bridge & all that.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 06:44 pm
@Green Witch,
Quote:
I assume we are talking material goods and not things like world peace.

Yes, that's right.

Stuff we covet or desire & why we desire it.

We can do world peace on another thread, hey? Wink Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 06:59 pm
@Green Witch,
Via Giulia

The ring that got away: there I was in Rome, something like my ninth time, where would I walk on what could be my last day? (and it was/is). I wandered down via Giulia, few people, quiet. I saw a small window for what looked like a jewelry store. Went in. I don't remember what else was there, a small place, but I liked the ring in the window, and wanted to know how much it was. Not much, as rings go, as it was a representation of an old greek ring from when the greeks were in place in the boot heel area, Taranto.. Something like sixty dollars. It had a fair sized 'golden' oval encapsulating an oval whatsit (I never remember this stone's name), the gold edging up around the stone. Then I went to the one place open for caffe or gelato, had an espresso, and then down the rest of the street, shouldered by the old buildings and the quiet. The shop is a mystery in memory as it wasn't at all touristy: I don't know what it was about. Maybe design, and that was one the purveyor liked, no matter the price. Or what, I don't know. The window itself was elegant, shop tiny.

So, me and the ring. I wore it for a long time. One day the stone was gone.
I tried to get other stones to fit the ring, never long lasting. Eventually, the ring was gone. Did I give it to the salvation army? I doubt it, sentimental me.

So, when I went to the a2k meeting in Chicago in 2006 (waves), I bought at the art museum some earrings that reminded me of that ring - and I still have those, of wildly different purview; also, on my 2003 trip to NYC, bought a ring of similar price at the Met, perhaps cranberry glass? and silver leaves wrapping it.

These things aren't worth a lot, but they represent stories.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 07:36 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
.... something that you would really love to have, but is way beyond your reach, for whatever reason.

Self-discipline. Never had it, never will. But I'd love to have it for the peace of mind it brings, and because it's a means to about about a dozen other ends I'm interested in.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 07:41 pm
@Thomas,
Good grief. I don't see you sans self discipline.

(we roil in our own minds..)
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 07:43 pm
Time and sanity are my recurring desires.

"You'd say I'm putting you on
But it's no joke, it's doing me harm
You know I can't sleep, I can't stop my brain
You know it's three weeks, I'm going insane
You know I'd give you everything I've got
for a little peace of mind"
ossobuco

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 07:57 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I almost understand, have a friend going through similar for years. Not to suppose I get it.

I edited myself on this thread, not to somehow ruin it with seemed self drama, but since my wacky vision has geared up again because I had access to a good university clinic, I am busy enjoying everything in front of me, and want for nothing, except maybe to pay my bills. There is no joy like seeing again. Never mind rings.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 08:03 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Crikey, desires for self discipline, desires for sanity! Surprised

I absolutely understand where you're coming from, Thomas & Robert, but the rest of us have been talking about desired stuff.

Now that the thread has taken this turn, I wouldn't mind it if someone (very convincing) explained the purpose of my existence on this planet. But I can't go there, because, sadly I have squandered my one choice on a chaise lounge! Razz
ossobuco

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 08:11 pm
@msolga,
I'm part of the dramatic turn.

Still, I'd like that ring back.