msolga

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 08:20 pm
@ossobuco,
(The dramatic turn is perfectly OK. Not a problem. Smile )

I find it interesting that the important rings go missing, osso. Like a gorgeous antique sapphire that was my make-shift wedding ring ... then the (later bought wedding ring itself). A pretty deco design. (I have a hunch about the culprit.)
Then, before that, a gorgeous Latvian ring I received for Olga's Day, from my very first real boyfriend. I wouldn't mind so much if it was the insignificant, unloved rings which went missing ... but it's never those, is it?
ossobuco

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 09:00 pm
@msolga,
Olga.. my dear.
Thomas

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 09:09 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
I absolutely understand where you're coming from, Thomas & Robert, but the rest of us have been talking about desired stuff.

Alright. Then how about a time machine? I am longing to take a trip back to the Berlin of the early 1940s, so I can listen to Wilhelm Furtwängler conducting the Berlin Philharmonic. (Conveniently, I'd know Furtwängler was going to survive World War II, so nothing would happen to me during any bombing raids I might encounter.)

MsOlga wrote:
Now that the thread has taken this turn, I wouldn't mind it if someone (very convincing) explained the purpose of my existence on this planet.

Beats me. I guess you'll just have to make one up.
msolga

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 09:11 pm
@ossobuco,
Yes, dear osso?
msolga

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 09:20 pm
@Thomas,
(I actually meant no offense, Thomas & Robert. Truly sorry if I you feel offended.)

Quote:
Alright. Then how about a time machine? I am longing to take a trip back to the Berlin of the early 1940s, so I can listen to Wilhelm Furtwängler conducting the Berlin Philharmonic. (Conveniently, I'd know Furtwängler was going to survive World War II, so nothing would happen to me during any bombing raids I might encounter.)

That is a commendable desire, Thomas! Very Happy

(Not to worry about explaining the meaning of life.)

ossobuco

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 09:22 pm
@msolga,
That was a hug type comment.
msolga

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 09:24 pm
@ossobuco,
So was mine to you. Smile

0 Replies

Seed

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 09:27 pm
I want to buy a trip for two to Australia. I will not be going on this trip. It would be a trip for my parents. All my life all i have ever heard my mother talk about is going there and seeing the sights. Going "down under" and living a dream.

I won't be able to give them this now. The way my father is aging, he wouldn't go on the trip. Makes me sad to know my mom won't be able to achieve one of her dreams.
Thomas

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 09:32 pm
@msolga,
No offense taken at all! Smile
George

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 09:33 pm
An old Coast Guard patrol boat, WPB 82, "Point" class, to refurbish.
msolga

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 09:34 pm
@Thomas,
That's good to know, Thomas.
(Having a bit of a weird, getting-wires-crossed communication day today. Neutral )
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 09:36 pm
@George,
George, I'm honestly not clear on what you just meant by that post. Could you tell us a wee bit more, please?
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 09:39 pm
@msolga,
I thinketh he wants one of these to refurbish and clean up in some kind of do it yourself restoration project:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ship/images/wpb-82.jpg
msolga

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 09:41 pm
@tsarstepan,
Thank you, tsar. Rather a big job!

And do you have an object of desire, yourself? Smile
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 09:49 pm
@msolga,
I would love to own and run an independent art house cinema to be placed in say Pittsburgh (a culturally underserved city).
http://www.surreyartists.co.uk/aaw/websites/surreyartists/kingston-art/gallery/Casablanca%20550.jpg
http://galalitescreens.com/images/Cinemascreen3forweb.jpg
msolga

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 09:51 pm
@tsarstepan,
Ah. What a wish, tsar!
You would be absolutely perfect in that capacity.
msolga

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 09:54 pm
@msolga,
... in fact i can't figure out how come you're not already doing something like this. On a smaller scale, for starters maybe, given finances & all ....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 09:57 pm
I would like to own an early 19th century brig, which is to say, a vessel with two masts, square-rigged. Then, of course, i'd need a couple of million to hire a crew and provision the vessel in order to sail off to my doom.
msolga

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 09:59 pm
@Setanta,
That sounded so good, Setanta, till you mentioned sailing off to your "doom".

Wanna change that last bit, while you have time to do it? Wink Laughing
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 10:04 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
(I actually meant no offense, Thomas & Robert. Truly sorry if I you feel offended.)

Not at all, but the stuff I most want right now is a bit more intangible. I don't really want a car and house etc, as that just pins me down somewhere. I want the time, money and resources (often human) to build cool stuff.

The stuff I dream about owning are things like companies (Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, Apple), or infrastructure (fiber lines, datacenters), or services (bandwidth, SaS), patent portfolios (tech companies hoard these and they can be powerful), and man hours (time, human resources) so that I can build some of the things I dream about.

So I guess I really want the world's leading search engine, biggest website stuff like that. Does that count as an object?

If not, the object I most want I guess would be a big boat to live on. It's kinda like a house but kinda mobile. Thing is, it's a depreciating asset, requires maintenance, I don't like being on a boat all the time.....

Ok, I want Google. That is my final answer.