dlowan

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 12:31 am
One's prejudices are like one's phobias - both natural and overwhelmingly sensible - at least mine are.....lol!

I hope Southerngrl returns - Beth seems to speak with some authority?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 01:23 am
The girl I'm trying to go out with at the moment is from Jamaica. The only thing I thought about her colour-was how good it looked on her.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 06:51 am
dlowan,

The correct prejudices and phobias are the ones that God has. I think southerngrl really believes that God is against affirmative action, wants the right to have weapons and is afraid of the UN.

I am a bit puzzled on why God lost the Civil war.

I do happen to know that God is deathly afraid of bees.
0 Replies

southerngrl

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 07:39 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Let it pass
Sherman kicked ass

Very nice...hailing a man who stole the rings off of Southern womens fingers and killed their livestock just so they wouldn't have food when he departed, set fire to their homes and murdered and raped those who weren't even soldiers...the innocent women and children. There were many reputable and kind Union leaders, however, Sherman happened NOT to be one of them.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 07:48 am
er, yes, Southerngrl - but what do you think of the answers people have given to your challenge?
0 Replies

southerngrl

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 08:10 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
There is absolutely nothing more unattractive to behold -- nor more boring to endure -- than a southerner with an attitude trying to relive the Civil War in a fantasy setting.

Prove its a fantasy. I've done my research for this post...prove me wrong. Not just insults and unfounded rhetoric...I have sources for all of the claims I have posted.

Quote:
The war is over.

No, it really isn't. Since the South was fighting for limited government, states rights, and high taxes...I would say it's still going on. It won't be called "South against North" this time, it's now "Conservative against Liberal".

Quote:
Frankly, most northerners never even mention it -- unless provoked to do so by some southerner.

Isn't that interesting. Guess they don't want the truth to come out. No, you are right...they rarely want to discuss it.

Quote:
Most southerners -- at least among the ones I know -- are content to let the contention between the north and south in the mid-19th century remain in the past -- where it belongs.

They haven't done their homework, either.

Quote:
You come here to an Internet forum with that in-your-face avatar of yours -- and feign surprise and indignation at some of the reactions it provokes.

No, I am very used to that. Except in my social circles.

Quote:
You then proceed to post these fanciful revisions of history complete with its tortured and twisted logic and rationalizations -- and feign surprise and indignation at some of the reactions it provokes.

What is surprising is that people don't care enough about their history to want to know the truths that have been tortured and twisted. If you have any interest in your country, it seems you would want to know the truth about it. Being blind teaches nothing. Why can't you do the research yourself just so you'll have it right. You seem to be a pretty intelligent person...why would you just dismiss issues that you haven't researched or checked out?

Quote:
And you do this while arrogantly protesting superior ethics and morality for yourself -- and a longing for others to be more like you.

What is arrogant? I don't see anything in my post that is arrogant, especially toward anyone here.

Quote:
Get real!

Grow up!

Grown ups, intelligent grown ups always like to know the truth about what they are being told...I think that's pretty mature of myself to take the time to learn what really happened.

Quote:
Stop adding to the turmoil of the world and instead try contributing to a bit of understanding and tolerance. Nor would it hurt to lighten up considerably and inject some humor and humanity into your diatribes from time to time.

I didn't start the turmoil...our government did and the Liberals who are out to change the culture we've always been so proud of in our country.

Quote:
As I said to someone else just a few moments ago -- stop taking yourself so seriously. You really don't have what it takes to pull it off.

"Pull it off"? I don't know what you are referring to...I am very serious about this subject...but maybe you are right. I do need to loosen up...but getting attacked for my posts doesn't necessarily put me in a joking mood! But, here you go...I'll even use The South as a whipping post!

Things a Redneck Would Never Say...

"I'll take Shakespeare for 1000, Alex"

Duct tape won't fix that.

Lisa Marie was lucky to catch Michael.

Come to think of it, I'll have a Heineken.

We don't keep firearms in this house.

Has anybody seen the sideburns trimmer?

You can't feed that to the dog.

I thought Graceland was tacky.

No kids in the back of the pick-up, it's not safe.

Wrasslin's fake.

Honey, did you mail that donation to Greenpeace?

We're vegetarians.

Do you think my hair is too big?

I'll have grapefruit instead of biscuits and gravy.

Honey, do these bonsai trees need watering?

Who's Richard Petty?

Give me the small bag of pork rinds.

Deer heads detract from the decor.

Spitting is such a nasty habit.

I just couldn't find a thing at Wal-Mart today.

Trim the fat off that steak.

Cappuccino tastes better than espresso.

The tires on that truck are too big.

I'll have the arugula and ridicchio salad.

I've got it all on a floppy disk.

Unsweetened tea tastes better.

Would you like you fish poached or broiled?

My fiancée, Paula Jo, is registered at Tiffany's.

I've got two cases of Zima for the Super Bowl.

Little Debbie snack cakes have too many fat grams.

Checkmate.

She's too old to be wearing a bikini.

Does the salad bar have bean sprouts?

Hey, here's an episode of "Hee Haw" that we haven't seen.

I don't have a favorite college team.

Be sure to bring my salad dressing on the side.

I believe you cooked those green beans too long.

Those shorts ought to be a little longer, Darla.

Elvis who?

Quote:
Other than that, SG, I am happy that you have decided to join us here at A2K. You certainly project a much needed alternative perspective of the world -- and the important issues. I respect the devotion you show to your topics -- and admire the tenacity you bring to the forum.

Get me the tissues! How sweet.

Quote:
Keep up the good work.

You mean I'm not banned???!!! Yee-Haw!!
0 Replies

southerngrl

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 08:20 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
sg has been shown that some of her "facts" are incorrect and her rsponse was that the facts were unimportant ones.

Where? Show me. And don't use "whether Buchanan proposed the Corwin Amendment or Lincoln". That was irrelevant and did not prove my point about the shot at Ft. Sumter. (if slavery were an issue).
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 08:24 am
Southerngrl,

You want another civil *war* between Conservative and Liberal? Whatever happened to United We Stand?

Americans don't want a civil war. We are a 50-50 nation. In 2000 just over half of the Americans who voted, voted for Al Gore. Most Americans didn't care enough to vote - this is not the actions of a public under siege.

Secondly, you need to define "Liberal". I don't consider myself a liberal and my guess is that most of us here would not fit this label (this is just a guess).

This is a Democracy. I (and I believe most Americans) make up my mind based on my values and beliefs. I vote based on these issues. Every American has the right to do this.

The American Democracy is strong! It is working well and most Americans are happy with the system as a whole. I can put up with 4 (or even 8(gasp!)) years of an adminstration that I personally dislike because I know that our democracy is the best system we can have.

The civil war is history. It is a dark and painful spot in our history that is now 150 in the past.

Most Americans would like to leave it in the past.
0 Replies

southerngrl

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 08:26 am
Quote:
I just love to read crap like the above.

What an interesting adjective...the history of your country is crap.

Quote:
As if it teachs anything.

It teaches those who are willing to learn...close-minded people ususally get nothing out of it.

Quote:
The Civil War was the final meeting of the Constitutional Congress,
it decided once and for all whether this nation would be
(A) half-slave and half-free
(B) all slave and none-free
or
(C) free.
It decided for free, with all it's warts and injustices and frailties.
Still, human beings are not, and cannot be, held slave within
the borders of these United States.

I've already proven that as wrong. The abolishment of slavery had already been proposed prior to the war by the Capital of the Confederacy...Virginia.

Quote:
Whoever yet argues for either of the two other options is
either a fool or a traitor and ought to look for other harbor.

Or he who will not accept the truth because it doesn't agree with what they've been told could be a fool or a traitor.
0 Replies

southerngrl

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 08:32 am
Setanta wrote:
What is this thread doing in the History forum?

Is it because we don't had a Deluded Fairy Tales Forum?

It's funny how people can make general jokes about a subject, yet, won't take the extra time to PROVE THAT ITS WRONG!!!! You are definitely a funny person...but, your post are so shallow, it's hard to take them seriously. What, that I have posted, is fairy tale?

Yal make me answer each and every post! If I don't I get beat up and bruised!

To keep it entertaining...here's another funny!

http://www.countryhumor.com/redneck/applicat.htm
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 08:35 am
Umm, my guess is that Setanta just didn't want to bother there, southerngrl....believe me, he isn't one easily challenged regarding matters of history.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 08:38 am
On a lighter note, since this thread has turned out so interesting, I would like to suggest that southerngrl turn this into a series.

In each installment Southerngrl could show wonderfully documented evidence that we should still be fighting these wars (against the United states) today.

Let me suggest the next thread in this series...

The Tories were Right! Southrngrl could explain how the the unjust colonists were attacking legitimate business interests, first by destroying tea, then by ousting the soldiers who were just protecting the national rights of the crown.

After that there are endless possiblilties...

Emporor Hirohito was Right!

Poncho Villa was Right!

Sitting Bull was Right!

Lenin was Right!

Any others you would like to see?
0 Replies

southerngrl

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 08:48 am
ebrown_p wrote:
A serious question in response.

Was the South right to institute Jim Crow laws after the Civil War?

Well, since the South lost the war...and the Federal Government was in charge...I wouldn't think that the South was entirely to blame for that law. No Southerner...or Southern heritage advocate that I know of, and I know many, condone or agree with slavery, discrimination against a race, or segregation. Although Lincoln did. My entire point is that the "slavery" issue was real, however, not the reason for the War for Southern Independence. (I know yal hate that...but I just can't seem to say "Civil War...since it was far from it) Thank God that it is over and we all have the same opportunities.

Quote:
And Southerngrl, when you get your chance to stand before God, I think you will be surprised to find out that She is black.

LOL!!!!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 08:53 am
Quote:
Well, since the South lost the war...and the Federal Government was in charge...I wouldn't think that the South was entirely to blame for that law.

Sorry southerngrl- That statement makes absolutely NO sense. If the Federal government was to blame, why were there no Jim Crow laws in the North?
0 Replies

southerngrl

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 08:56 am
Quote:

Yes, I have observed first hand the noble Southerner.

You mean you really take one incident like that and generalize all Southerners as racist?

I have a cousin who lives on the outskirts of San Francisco...married to a wonderful black man...two children, I really like them alot. She visited recently and said that she loves coming back here...people are so nice to her. She said they get more looks in California than they do here. So I guess there is no geographical barrier to go by.

Quote:
I have been in the South 40 years now and consider myself a Southerner, and I can report that things are vastly improved, but unfortunately there are pockets of this kind of thought still around.

I spoke too soon.

Quote:
Personally I find it, and always have, the height of ignorance.

If you are talking about racism...I agree.
0 Replies

southerngrl

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 09:08 am
Quote:
Child of the Light let me assure you that I would jump over 1000 white red neck boys with no clue or future to get to one decent black boy with his head on straight for my daughter to marry.

HEY! I will have you know that most Southern men treat their "women" with respect and dignity. Plus, the women would kick their a$$ if they tried something stupid! We can be gentle, but we can also protect ourselves. That was a stupid generalization. Rednecks are fun. My husband is one of them. He bends over backwards for me...chivalry is still alive here. Most of them work hard every single day...provide for their families and love their children. They hunt, fish, drive big trucks, love nature and their country, drink a beer or twelve and enjoy Nascar. They are harmless.

Then you have the educated Southerners who have professional jobs. But, the majority of them still tip their hats to women and treat everyone with respect.
0 Replies

southerngrl

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 09:11 am
Child of the Light wrote:
Southerngrl sounds like the typical hypocritical Bapist.

Can you read? My religion is non-denominational (since God said we are all one under Him). I don't believe in denominations who twist the Bible...the New Testament is all I "TRY" to go by...as I am human.

What is hypocritical? Again, yal keep spewing incinuations about me but won't state how?
0 Replies

southerngrl

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 09:13 am
Child of the Light wrote:
I can say that because i doubt she will ever return to defend herself.

Wrong again.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 09:16 am
southerngrl- You still have not clarified why, in your opinion, the Federal government was to blame for the Jim Crow laws!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 09:26 am
My remark about a deluded fantasies thread refers to the astronomical distances between what you purport history to have been and any reasonable construction based upon the records available. Quite apart from that, you frequently make statements which are demonstrably wrong--your confusion between the actions of Buchanan and those of Lincoln, as well as what happened in the administraiton of the former as opposed to that of the latter, have so far stood out more than many other gaffes you have made.

I see no reason to point out your gross errors, and what i will refer to charitably as the eggregious lies of others which you have chosen to believe, as you have already in this and other threads demonstrated that your ideas are carved in stone, and you won't believe any reasonable criticism of the fantasies you entertain as history.

It would be worse than talking to the wall, because it would be writing to the wall, with regard to which it would not be reasonable to assume literacy.
0 Replies