Setanta

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 07:25 am
What is this thread doing in the History forum?

Is it because we don't had a Deluded Fairy Tales Forum?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 07:42 am
Setanta wrote:
What is this thread doing in the History forum?

Is it because we don't had a Deluded Fairy Tales Forum?

Sounds like a good forum suggestion to me Laughing
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 10:09 am
whoa, that was long
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 10:24 am
A serious question in response.

Was the South right to institute Jim Crow laws after the Civil War?

And Southerngrl, when you get your chance to stand before God, I think you will be surprised to find out that She is black.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 10:36 am
ebrown_p- Excellent point. I can remember travelling by train from N.Y. to the south in the late 1940s. I was just a little kid. I could not understand why, after Washington D.C., there was a curtain drawn in the dining car. Black people sat on one side of the curtain, whites on the other.

I also could not understand why black people had to sit in the rear of buses, even if the bus was almost empty. Seeing four bathrooms and two water fountains in department stores puzzled me too.

What say you Southerngrl? Any explanation for this bit of historical fact?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 10:53 am
When I was a little boy I used to go to Lynchburg Va. in the summer to stay with my Aunt, and being from the inner city, it was a different world for sure than Akron.

The thing I looked forward to the most was going to Riverside Park with my cousins and their friends to swim at the Riverside public pool all day. It was the one thing I looked forward to all year. We left after breakfast and didn't return until dinner.

One summer I got there and the pool was closed and I was in shock...when I asked what happened, I was told by the local kids, who had always seemed like regular people to me, that they had integrated the pool by law, so they just closed it down.

When I said that was the stupidest thing I ever heard and a true case of cutting off your nose to spite your face I was invited by these guys I had been summering with for several years to head back up North if I wanted to swim with niggers, and ended up in a fist fight with a couple of them, and was called, of course, a nigger lover from then on.

Then when I moved to Lynchburg permanently in 1964, the year of the Civil War Bi-centennial, it was one fight after another for practically the whole first year, because I was Yankee and of course, a nigger lover.

The year the schools were desegregated was also when Jerry Fallwell local boy and vicar of Christ's love decided to open the Lynchburg Christian Academy, only whites allowed. Nice.

Yes, I have observed first hand the noble Southerner.

I have been in the South 40 years now and consider myself a Southerner, and I can report that things are vastly improved, but unfortunately there are pockets of this kind of thought still around.

Personally I find it, and always have, the height of ignorance.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 12:37 pm
I too lived in a free state and then moved to a segregated state. If I had been an adult I would have immediately moved back to the free state.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 01:39 pm
Most southerners do not think of themselves as racist. But if presented with the question "would you approve of your daughter/son/sister/brother dating a black person?" their responses would be "Hell No!", even though some of their best friends are black.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 01:42 pm
I also don't know where southerngrl is going with this.

If the South had won the Civil war - we would now be Two Nations instead of One Nation. (Would that be "two nations under gods..."?)

Presumably the Confederate States would still be segregated (seeing as it took Federal troops to end segregation ).

They would also not be bound by the Constitution or the Bill of Rights.

Because of this, they would presumably be able to pray in schools, teach evolution and put the 10 commandments anywhere they want. They could force Christian moral on anyone. They could keep homosexuals from marching and keep "objectionable" books from classrooms.

The Civil war was certainly a war of succession (whatever role slavery had in it).

Do you really think you would be better if you were not part of the United States?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 01:45 pm
Child,

This "some of my best friends are black" is always funny.

I don't suppose southerngrl ever watches Seinfield, huh?
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 01:51 pm
Indeed, and I am sadly qualified to speak on this topic, being from Pascagoula, Mississippi (which is the furthest South you can be without getting wet.)
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 02:16 pm
Child of the Light let me assure you that I would jump over 1000 white red neck boys with no clue or future to get to one decent black boy with his head on straight for my daughter to marry.

I would want them to understand the special problems they would have to deal with from some segments of the population while knowing they had my love and support and after they had evaluated that if they decided they were in love and wanted to marry then great and screw everyone who had a problem with it.

My hope would be that if that did happen, the black family that my daughter married into would also be supportive. Their boy marrying a white girl might be the scandal of their family, you never know. Whites don't have the market cornered on racism or narrow mindedness.
0 Replies

Beedlesquoink

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 02:32 pm
Calling southern Girl...
any thoughts about what these folks are saying?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 02:37 pm
Bi-Polar, I can't help you with a black boy, but may I suggest a nice black girl for a loving, commited domestic partnership.

I know at least part of her family would be supportive. Your daughter would certainly have have to deal with special problems from segments of the population. If they decide they are in love ... then screw everyone who has a problem with it.

It is true that whites don't have the market cornered....

But wouldn't this just piss off southerngrl's god.

-----
Puritanism (n.) The obsessive fear that somewhere, someone is having a good time.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 03:02 pm
I have to be honest and say that although I would support my daughter if she brought home a girl...no mattter the color....it would b eharder for me to accept.

I believe that my love for her would trumpany other feelings I might have, but I would be less than forthright if I said I would be doing cartwheels. It would take some getting used to. Perhaps I would succeed in truly accepting it perhaps I would fail. I would surely give it my best shot.

Does that make me a homophobe? who knows, I hope not, and I promise not to say anything about some of my best friends being gay. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 03:13 pm
Southerngrl sounds like the typical hypocritical Bapist.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 03:14 pm
I can say that because i doubt she will ever return to defend herself.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 03:31 pm
She'll return.

BPB - you'd be fine if she came home with a girl.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 04:00 pm
I've been trying to get squinney to for years......but that's a whole different thing.... Twisted Evil :wink:
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 04:41 pm
BPB, <laugh> It is in my nature to push the envelope, but even more so in this type of discussion...

Arguing against southerngrl isn't very challenging to the intellect or to our individual prejudices (which, of course, are much more reasonable than SG's LOL).
0 Replies