100 Things We Didn't Know Last Year...

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 06:00 am

The most interesting and unexpected facts can emerge from the daily news stories and the Magazine documents some of them in its weekly feature, 10 things we didn't know last week. To kick off 2010, here's an almanac of the best from the past year.

1. Using both hands to read Braille achieves an average speed of 115 words a minute, compared with 250 words a minute for sighted reading.

2. Gold medal winner Chris Hoy was inspired to cycle by ET.

3. Moby is related to novelist Herman Melville and was named after his most famous creation.

4. You can hiccup while asleep.

5. Countdown is French.

6. John the Good was bad and William the Bad was good.

7. In camel racing the jockeys are electronic robots.

8. The bubonic plague still exists.

9. Indonesia is the world's largest exporter of edible frogs.

10. The brain chemical serotonin causes locusts to swarm.

for #11-100, see
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/magazinemonitor/2010/01/100_things_we_didnt_know_last_4.shtml
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 2,031 • Replies: 9
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 06:56 am
@Region Philbis,
11. Theyve planned to introduce something after Blu Ray so were all gonna have to start our collections all over again. Grrr.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 07:11 am
Lot of subjective stuff here--i suspect that it is the product of the pressure to produce a list of "the ten most" or "the hundred most." The very first one to strike me was "John the Good was bad . . . " He certainly wasn't an evil man, and he wasn't an incompetent ruler of France--he was just unfortunate in the military advice he received, and sadly followed. He was captured--along with his eldest son, the Dauphin--in 1356 at the battle of Poitiers. The English were in the deep doo-doo, and all the French had to do was surround the little hill on which the English had gathered, and starve them out. That wasn't the sort of glorious outcome, however, that the French nobility had in mind, so they attacked the English--and got their collective ass kicked. John and his son were captured, and the ransom bankrupted the monarchy. However, Charles, the son of Jean le bon (John the Good), learned some lessons, and after he came to the throne, the Hundred Years War didn't go so well for the English.

A statement such as "John the Good was bad . . . " is silly, and very likely was added to the list to make up the required number.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 10:47 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

I knew this. Perhaps "we" did not.
Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 10:52 am
@DrewDad,
That's exactly how i reacted to a lot of things on that list--i did go to the link and read them. In most cases it occurred to me that these were things unknown to not particularly well-informed magazine editorial staff.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 11:10 am
@Region Philbis,
Quote:
9. Indonesia is the world's largest exporter of edible frogs.

I can attest to this one because whenever I buy edible frog parts, besides checking the "For best freshness, sell by" date, I always chewck the place of origin for my frogs. I sure dont want any of them highly decorative Costa Rican frogs.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 11:16 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Region Philbis wrote:

I knew this. Perhaps "we" did not.

Me too. I did a double-take on that piece of "news."
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 11:18 am
But, aw shucks, I bet we're making Region feel bad now for posting this. It's a good thread, Region!
DrewDad

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 11:21 am
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:
It's a good thread, Region!

"We" know.
farmerman

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 11:31 am
@DrewDad,
Quote:
"We" know.
We know that you and MA know, but maybe nobody else knew this last year.

Mapl syrup is now sold in 26 oz containers that are just as big as the quart size. How did we know how to rearrange mass like that last year.
0 Replies