Recent German Elections and global impact?: A Political Discussion Aimed At Our German Friends...

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 01:11 pm
A Political Discussion Aimed At Our German Friends... ahem... Thomas? Wink

Quote:
Results from the German Elections
Monday, September 28, 2009

We'll look at the results of yesterday’s federal elections in Germany with John Peet, European editor for the Economist. Find out what the major issues in the campaign were, what role the economy played in the campaign, and who ran to unseat Chancellor Angela Merkel. Plus, a look at what Merkel said at last week’s United Nations General Assembly and the G20 summit " just days before the elections.

I know you live in Jersey and you may not be in the so called political loop can you fill me in on the importance of the most recent election in Germany?

Consider me clueless about the whole parliamentary forum. So I'll need the white glove treatment.
http://www.wnyc.org/shows/lopate/episodes/2009/09/28/segments/141492
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,637 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 02:41 pm
@tsarstepan,
Before, we had a centre-right (CDU/CSU [the latter the Bavarian sister party]) -centre-left (SPD) government, the so-called 'great coalition'.

Now (since 1.7 million SPD-voters didn't go voting) we've a centre-right (CDU/CSU) - right (FDP) coalition.

And a left opposition (SPD, Greens, Left party).

There will be a lot of changes - or just a few, minor ones.
All depends how the new partners deal their differences.

Most certainly, the climate politic will change to a more industry-friendly politic.
Might well be that changes will also occur in health and welfare politics, plus perhaps .... but who knows?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 01:29 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
The 'real' coalition talks will start on Monday, in Berlin in the Northrhine-Westphalian state's permanent representation.
The location is in so far notable since Northrhine-Westphalia has got a CDU/FDP coalition, too, and the next elections there are in May 2010. So the new government (and that of Northrhine-Westphalia especially) needs some promotion ... to keep a majority in the upper house, the Bundesrat.
0 Replies