Why Dark specifically used the word "only"?

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2017 02:06 am
In Exam 2009 movie, Invigilator gave blank papers to candidates with no questions on it and gave 80 minutes to complete the exam. Dark is the one of
the candidate applied for the company to cure his partner's disease. So Dark said these words:

And if I could talk to the CEO I'd assure him the treatment my partner needs will only deepen my commitment to his organization for years to come.

View best answer, chosen by Ganesh Ujwal
Setanta
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2017 03:13 am
It's rather poorly written--although one understands that Dark is saying that if the company provides the treatment his partner needs, it will only . . . etc.

The use of only means that consequences of that type will be exclusive. If the consequence is positive, it means that there will be no negative consequences. It works in the other directions, too. If the consequence is negative, there will be no positive consequences:

If Bill tries to stop him, he'll only get more angry and intractable.

That means that Bill's intervention will have only a negative consequence--there will be no positive result.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2017 03:22 am
I agree. Poorly written. I think Dark should have chosen "certainly" or "surely" instead of "only".
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2017 11:54 am
@Ganesh Ujwal,
And if I could talk to the CEO I'd assure him that any treatment my partner seems to need will only deepen my commitment to his organization--for years to come.

But 'Why ?' you ask: So I feel compelled to explain that.....

Thanks Gan for this 'toonity to respond. Love this kinda stuff. Hope somebody else will 'splain my ',,,,'
0 Replies