Academy Awards 2009

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 10:12 am
And the nominees are:

Performance by an actor in a leading role

* Richard Jenkins in “The Visitor” (Overture Films)
* Frank Langella in “Frost/Nixon” (Universal)
* Sean Penn in “Milk” (Focus Features)
* Brad Pitt in “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” (Paramount and Warner Bros.)
* Mickey Rourke in “The Wrestler” (Fox Searchlight)

Performance by an actor in a supporting role

* Josh Brolin in “Milk” (Focus Features)
* Robert Downey Jr. in “Tropic Thunder” (DreamWorks, Distributed by DreamWorks/Paramount)
* Philip Seymour Hoffman in “Doubt” (Miramax)
* Heath Ledger in “The Dark Knight” (Warner Bros.)
* Michael Shannon in “Revolutionary Road” (DreamWorks, Distributed by Paramount Vantage)

Performance by an actress in a leading role

* Anne Hathaway in “Rachel Getting Married” (Sony Pictures Classics)
* Angelina Jolie in “Changeling” (Universal)
* Melissa Leo in “Frozen River” (Sony Pictures Classics)
* Meryl Streep in “Doubt” (Miramax)
* Kate Winslet in “The Reader” (The Weinstein Company)

Performance by an actress in a supporting role

* Amy Adams in “Doubt” (Miramax)
* Penélope Cruz in “Vicky Cristina Barcelona” (The Weinstein Company)
* Viola Davis in “Doubt” (Miramax)
* Taraji P. Henson in “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” (Paramount and Warner Bros.)
* Marisa Tomei in “The Wrestler” (Fox Searchlight)

Best animated feature film of the year

* “Bolt” (Walt Disney), Chris Williams and Byron Howard
* “Kung Fu Panda” (DreamWorks Animation, Distributed by Paramount), John Stevenson and Mark Osborne
* “WALL-E” (Walt Disney), Andrew Stanton

Achievement in art direction

* “Changeling” (Universal), Art Direction: James J. Murakami, Set Decoration: Gary Fettis
* “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” (Paramount and Warner Bros.), Art Direction: Donald Graham Burt, Set Decoration: Victor J. Zolfo
* “The Dark Knight” (Warner Bros.), Art Direction: Nathan Crowley, Set Decoration: Peter Lando
* “The Duchess” (Paramount Vantage, Pathé and BBC Films), Art Direction: Michael Carlin, Set Decoration: Rebecca Alleway
* “Revolutionary Road” (DreamWorks, Distributed by Paramount Vantage), Art Direction: Kristi Zea, Set Decoration: Debra Schutt

Achievement in cinematography

* “Changeling” (Universal), Tom Stern
* “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” (Paramount and Warner Bros.), Claudio Miranda
* “The Dark Knight” (Warner Bros.), Wally Pfister
* “The Reader” (The Weinstein Company), Chris Menges and Roger Deakins
* “Slumdog Millionaire” (Fox Searchlight), Anthony Dod Mantle

Achievement in costume design

* “Australia” (20th Century Fox), Catherine Martin
* “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” (Paramount and Warner Bros.), Jacqueline West
* “The Duchess” (Paramount Vantage, Pathé and BBC Films), Michael O’Connor
* “Milk” (Focus Features), Danny Glicker
* “Revolutionary Road” (DreamWorks, Distributed by Paramount Vantage), Albert Wolsky

Achievement in directing

* “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” (Paramount and Warner Bros.), David Fincher
* “Frost/Nixon” (Universal), Ron Howard
* “Milk” (Focus Features), Gus Van Sant
* “The Reader” (The Weinstein Company), Stephen Daldry
* “Slumdog Millionaire” (Fox Searchlight), Danny Boyle

Best documentary feature

* “The Betrayal (Nerakhoon)” (Cinema Guild), A Pandinlao Films Production, Ellen Kuras and Thavisouk Phrasavath
* “Encounters at the End of the World” (THINKFilm and Image Entertainment), A Creative Differences Production, Werner Herzog and Henry Kaiser
* “The Garden” A Black Valley Films Production, Scott Hamilton Kennedy
* “Man on Wire” (Magnolia Pictures), A Wall to Wall Production, James Marsh and Simon Chinn
* “Trouble the Water” (Zeitgeist Films), An Elsewhere Films Production, Tia Lessin and Carl Deal

Best documentary short subject

* “The Conscience of Nhem En” A Farallon Films Production, Steven Okazaki
* “The Final Inch” A Vermilion Films Production, Irene Taylor Brodsky and Tom Grant
* “Smile Pinki” A Principe Production, Megan Mylan
* “The Witness - From the Balcony of Room 306” A Rock Paper Scissors Production, Adam Pertofsky and Margaret Hyde

Achievement in film editing

* “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” (Paramount and Warner Bros.), Kirk Baxter and Angus Wall
* “The Dark Knight” (Warner Bros.), Lee Smith
* “Frost/Nixon” (Universal), Mike Hill and Dan Hanley
* “Milk” (Focus Features), Elliot Graham
* “Slumdog Millionaire” (Fox Searchlight), Chris Dickens

Best foreign language film of the year

* “The Baader Meinhof Complex” A Constantin Film Production, Germany
* “The Class” (Sony Pictures Classics), A Haut et Court Production, France
* “Departures” (Regent Releasing), A Departures Film Partners Production, Japan
* “Revanche” (Janus Films), A Prisma Film/Fernseh Production, Austria
* “Waltz with Bashir” (Sony Pictures Classics), A Bridgit Folman Film Gang Production, Israel

Achievement in makeup

* “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” (Paramount and Warner Bros.), Greg Cannom
* “The Dark Knight” (Warner Bros.), John Caglione, Jr. and Conor O’Sullivan
* “Hellboy II: The Golden Army” (Universal), Mike Elizalde and Thom Floutz

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original score)

* “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” (Paramount and Warner Bros.), Alexandre Desplat
* “Defiance” (Paramount Vantage), James Newton Howard
* “Milk” (Focus Features), Danny Elfman
* “Slumdog Millionaire” (Fox Searchlight), A.R. Rahman
* “WALL-E” (Walt Disney), Thomas Newman

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original song)

* “Down to Earth” from “WALL-E” (Walt Disney), Music by Peter Gabriel and Thomas Newman, Lyric by Peter Gabriel
* “Jai Ho” from “Slumdog Millionaire” (Fox Searchlight), Music by A.R. Rahman, Lyric by Gulzar
* “O Saya” from “Slumdog Millionaire” (Fox Searchlight), Music and Lyric by A.R. Rahman and Maya Arulpragasam

Best motion picture of the year

* “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” (Paramount and Warner Bros.), A Kennedy/Marshall Production, Kathleen Kennedy, Frank Marshall and Ceán Chaffin, Producers
* “Frost/Nixon” (Universal), A Universal Pictures, Imagine Entertainment and Working Title Production, Brian Grazer, Ron Howard and Eric Fellner, Producers
* “Milk” (Focus Features), A Groundswell and Jinks/Cohen Company Production, Dan Jinks and Bruce Cohen, Producers
* “The Reader” (The Weinstein Company), A Mirage Enterprises and Neunte Babelsberg Film GmbH Production, Nominees to be determined
* “Slumdog Millionaire” (Fox Searchlight), A Celador Films Production, Christian Colson, Producer

Best animated short film

* “La Maison en Petits Cubes” A Robot Communications Production, Kunio Kato
* “Lavatory - Lovestory” A Melnitsa Animation Studio and CTB Film Company Production, Konstantin Bronzit
* “Oktapodi” (Talantis Films), A Gobelins, L’école de l’image Production, Emud Mokhberi and Thierry Marchand
* “Presto” (Walt Disney), A Pixar Animation Studios Production, Doug Sweetland
* “This Way Up” A Nexus Production, Alan Smith and Adam Foulkes

Best live action short film

* “Auf der Strecke (On the Line)” (Hamburg Shortfilmagency), An Academy of Media Arts Cologne Production, Reto Caffi
* “Manon on the Asphalt” (La Luna Productions), A La Luna Production, Elizabeth Marre and Olivier Pont
* “New Boy” (Network Ireland Television), A Zanzibar Films Production, Steph Green and Tamara Anghie
* “The Pig” An M & M Production, Tivi Magnusson and Dorte Høgh
* “Spielzeugland (Toyland)” A Mephisto Film Production, Jochen Alexander Freydank

Achievement in sound editing

* “The Dark Knight” (Warner Bros.), Richard King
* “Iron Man” (Paramount and Marvel Entertainment), Frank Eulner and Christopher Boyes
* “Slumdog Millionaire” (Fox Searchlight), Tom Sayers
* “WALL-E” (Walt Disney), Ben Burtt and Matthew Wood
* “Wanted” (Universal), Wylie Stateman

Achievement in sound mixing

* “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” (Paramount and Warner Bros.), David Parker, Michael Semanick, Ren Klyce and Mark Weingarten
* “The Dark Knight” (Warner Bros.), Lora Hirschberg, Gary Rizzo and Ed Novick
* “Slumdog Millionaire” (Fox Searchlight), Ian Tapp, Richard Pryke and Resul Pookutty
* “WALL-E” (Walt Disney), Tom Myers, Michael Semanick and Ben Burtt
* “Wanted” (Universal), Chris Jenkins, Frank A. Montaño and Petr Forejt

Achievement in visual effects

* “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” (Paramount and Warner Bros.), Eric Barba, Steve Preeg, Burt Dalton and Craig Barron
* “The Dark Knight” (Warner Bros.), Nick Davis, Chris Corbould, Tim Webber and Paul Franklin
* “Iron Man” (Paramount and Marvel Entertainment), John Nelson, Ben Snow, Dan Sudick and Shane Mahan

Adapted screenplay

* “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” (Paramount and Warner Bros.), Screenplay by Eric Roth, Screen story by Eric Roth and Robin Swicord
* “Doubt” (Miramax), Written by John Patrick Shanley
* “Frost/Nixon” (Universal), Screenplay by Peter Morgan
* “The Reader” (The Weinstein Company), Screenplay by David Hare
* “Slumdog Millionaire” (Fox Searchlight), Screenplay by Simon Beaufoy

Original screenplay

* “Frozen River” (Sony Pictures Classics), Written by Courtney Hunt
* “Happy-Go-Lucky” (Miramax), Written by Mike Leigh
* “In Bruges” (Focus Features), Written by Martin McDonagh
* “Milk” (Focus Features), Written by Dustin Lance Black
* “WALL-E” (Walt Disney), Screenplay by Andrew Stanton, Jim Reardon, Original story by Andrew Stanton, Pete Docter
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 4,328 • Replies: 28
No top replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 10:49 am
I am glad "Dark Knight" got mostly nominations in technical categories. It was omitted from best screenplay, best director, and best picture categories and rightly so.

I enjoyed Heath Ledger's performance. All of his scenes made me laugh at their boldness. In my opinion Ledger played the Joker like the "Alex" character in "Clockwork Orange". At the same time, his speaking mannerisms reminded me of Al Franken doing his Stuart Smalley character. Does anyone else feel that way?
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 12:22 pm
Some random observations:

I heard that Kate Winslet was supposed to get two nominations: best actress in Revolutionary Road and best supporting actress in The Reader. Instead, she got one: best actress in The Reader. Something went wrong.

Was Benjamin Button really that good that it got 13 nominations -- more than any other movie?

Robert Downey Jr. for best supporting actor in Tropic Thunder? WTF? I know the Academy voters think Downey is a great actor (an opinion I don't share), but they also have the same feelings toward Leonardo DiCaprio, and he didn't get a nomination for Revolutionary Road.

If Heath Ledger wins for Dark Knight, who will accept the award?

Is this the first time an animated film has received a nomination for best original screenplay?
wandeljw

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 12:25 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
Is this the first time an animated film has received a nomination for best original screenplay?

Wasn't "Ratatouille" nominated in that category last year?
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 12:59 pm
@wandeljw,
You are correct, sir.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 12:52 pm
The SAG Awards, another prediction along with The Golden Globes of what may happen at the Oscars. The biggest surprise, and she was really startled when it was announced, was Meryl Streep:

http://www.awardsdaily.com/?p=6416
Lightwizard

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 03:14 pm
@Lightwizard,
Male Actor in a Leading Role: Milk's Sean Penn
Female Actor in a Leading Role: Doubt's Meryl Streep
Male Actor in a Supporting Role: The Dark Knight's Heath Ledger (accepted by costar Gary Oldman)
Female Actor in a Supporting Role: The Reader's Kate Winslet
Cast in a Motion Picture: Slumdog Millionaire
Male Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries: John Adams' Paul Giamatti
Female Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries: John Adams' Laura Linney
Male Actor in a Drama Series: House's Hugh Laurie
Female Actor in a Drama Series: Brothers & Sister's Sally Field
Male Actor in a Comedy Series: 30 Rock's Alec Baldwin
Female Actor in a Comedy Series: 30 Rock's Tina Fey
Ensemble in a Drama Series: Mad Men
Ensemble in a Comedy Series: 30 Rock
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 03:54 pm
@wandeljw,
Quote:
I enjoyed Heath Ledger's performance. All of his scenes made me laugh at their boldness. In my opinion Ledger played the Joker like the "Alex" character in "Clockwork Orange". At the same time, his speaking mannerisms reminded me of Al Franken doing his Stuart Smalley character. Does anyone else feel that way?

I am still undecided about how much I enjoyed the film overall, but I thought Heath Ledger's Joker was the creepiest villain on film since Anthony Hopkin's Hannibal Lecter.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 09:10 am
Worst. Oscar. Broadcast. EVER.
djjd62

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 09:15 am
avoided the oscars but laughed my ass off, pre show, as ron and fez (sirius/xm) ripped everybody on the red a carpet a new one
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 10:09 am
@joefromchicago,
Only highlight was the five actors who had previously received Oscars presenting last night's award. The rest of it confirmed Hugh Jackman can sing and dance, albeit in what looked like a number from one of my high school auditorium variety shows, but was not very funny. The opening number showed that Billy Crystal is a comedy genius, but we already knew that. But I have seen worse. David Letterman.

wandeljw

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 11:15 am
@Lightwizard,
I thought Hugh Jackman was almost as good as Billy Crystal but suffered from bad writing. Billy Crystal is naturally funnier and reportedly had very good writers (Bruce Vilanch, for example).
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 11:44 am
@Lightwizard,
Lightwizard wrote:

Only highlight was the five actors who had previously received Oscars presenting last night's award.

Really? I thought that was terrible. Instead of ... well, you know, actually watching clips of the nominated performances, we got verbal bonbons thrown at the nominees by actors who were clearly only mouthing the lines that could have been written by the nominees' publicists. "Oh [fill in the blank], you're such a consummate genius!" Just gag me with a spoon.
mac11

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 11:53 am
Some of those speeches made by previous acting winners seemed meaningful, as if they wrote it themselves. But then, these are award-winning actors. They should be able to deliver a speech.

Anyway, a few of them got to me, but mostly, it went on too long. It did seem to honor the nominees more than the usual 10-second clip would have.

The worst part of the show was the swooping camera work during the In Memoriam section. Queen Latifah was great, but I couldn't see who we were supposed to be honoring at times.
Foxfyre

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 12:14 pm
Didn't watch and little or no interest here. Once they snubbed "Gran Torino" for any nomination, I knew it was rigged. It was by far the best movie anybody has made in awhile.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 12:39 pm
@mac11,
mac11 wrote:
The worst part of the show was the swooping camera work during the In Memoriam section. Queen Latifah was great, but I couldn't see who we were supposed to be honoring at times.

I had the exact same reaction. Honestly, what were they thinking? I started getting sea sick from all the swooping camera angles.
Lightwizard

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 01:56 pm
@joefromchicago,
Yes, the director and the control booth engineers were playing with the wire suspended, automated hi def camera overhead and were trying to outdo Baz Luhrman (some thought he overdid it in "Moulin Rouge") who was in the audience and I think they were smoking some strong stuff playing with the control panels. It works great at football games, but the Oscars on a big screen was like a roller coaster ride.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 02:01 pm
@joefromchicago,
I am already sick of the same few second clips as the producers of the movies always control the release of cuts. There were a few new clips in the best movie clips, but I could do without them for the actors. It was nice seeing the previous winners (who were secreted in through the back door) even if they did get a little maudlin (I thought Sophia Loren was going to go on through the rest of the show).
Lightwizard

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 02:17 pm
BTW, the stars wrote their dedications in the best supporting and lead actor presentations, although I'm sure they had some help polishing them up.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 02:35 pm
@Lightwizard,
Lightwizard wrote:

I am already sick of the same few second clips as the producers of the movies always control the release of cuts. There were a few new clips in the best movie clips, but I could do without them for the actors. It was nice seeing the previous winners (who were secreted in through the back door) even if they did get a little maudlin (I thought Sophia Loren was going to go on through the rest of the show).

I don't know what gives a better indication of a nominee's performance than a clip showing the nominee's performance -- certainly not the gushing, over-the-top, "you were just soooooo good!" encomia from previous winners. It was nice to see them (I think Cuba Gooding, Jr. probably needed the work), but they could have been put to better use.