1) The Dow finished at 8776, down 34% for the year. Where will it finish at the end of 2009? 12,299
2) What will be the unemployment rate be at the end of end of 2009? 5.7%
3) Who will win the NFL Superbowl a month from now? Carolina Panthers
4) How many Supreme Court justices will retire in 2009? One
5) What will be best film of 2008, according to the Oscars? "Milk" because of Prop 8. Should be "In Bruges"
6) Will A2K get back the PM feature Yes
1) Benjamin Netanyahu will be the next Israeli PM, and Israel will launch a prememptory strike on Iran's nuclear facilities. The world will decry the attack in public, but breath a sigh of relief in private.
2) Andrew Cuomo will fill Hillary Clinton's Senate seat
3) Roland Burris will fill Obama's seat
4) The Minnesota senate race will end up in court and Coleman will win
5) The Freedom of Choice Act will not become law.
6) Employee Free Choice Act will not become law
7) There will be a $999 billion stimulus package
8) Putin's Mother Russia will engage in additional militaristic mischief in central asia.
9) There will be a signifigant crackdown on dissidents in China
10) Harry Reid will retire
11) Chrysler will merge with GM
12) Mugabe will die
13) There will be a minor military conflict between Columbia and Venezuela
14) Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie will remain married but be on the edge of divorce
15) The NY Yankees will win the World Series
16) The NY Rangers will win the Stanley Cup
17) The Boston Celtics will repeat
18) Michael Phelps will be involved in a much publicized scandal
19) There will be an unusually virulent flu virus in the US that will lead to media scare hype.
20) Black music will begin a new mode that will promise to supplant Rap
21) Eddie Van Halen will die
22) Clint Eastwood will die
23) Peter O'Toole will die
24) Roland Burris will die
25) Ted Kennedy will die
26) Medical Marijuana will flourish in California and expand to other states
27) There will be a major terrorist attack in Washington (the state)
28) Glabal Warming fever will cool down and eco-nuts will feel betrayed by Obama
29) A major heath care initiative will be enacted into US law
30) China will not devalue its currency
31) The world will do nothing about Darfur
32) Gordon Brown will have high approval ratings in the UK
33) Sarkozy and his wife will split
34) The Taliban will, effectively, be wiped out in Afghanistan
35) "Watchmen" will be the blockbuster hit of the year
36) The first actual step towards artificial life will be taken
37) Congress will cut NASA's budget
38) There will be a major earthquake in California
39) There will be three major hurricanes - one will decimate New Orleans
40) Dogs will run free (so why can't we?)
41) A prescription weight reduction pill will hit the market
42) Martha Stewart will die
44) Michelle Obama will get pissed of about press coverage of her daughters
45) Cat Stevens will make a pop music comeback
46) Larry King will have triple bypass surgery
47) Jennifer Aniston will get pregnant
48) We will learn that Kim Jong Il has been dead for the past four years - his brother-in-law will be the new "Wonderful Leader"
49) A New York Times front-page story will report that a panel of psychological “experts” has found that opposition to gay marriage is a mental illness. - (Origin 0n this one - Jonah Goldberg)
50) Joe Biden will say something embarrassing and/or wholly inappropriate.
(Origin on this one - Mark Hemingway)
HAPPY NEW YEAR!