Homework isn't a test. As long as they are transcribing it themselves it serves its purpose.

rosborne979

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 09:16 am
@Robert Gentel,
My concern with answering homework questions is the cut/paste aspect of the possible answer. If the student is simply looking for an answer that they can cut/paste onto their homework without understanding the answer, then I feel I've done dis-service to the student by answering the question.

If the student is asking for assistance in understanding something, then that's a different issue. I guess it depends on how the question is asked. Many times however, I can tell from the post that the student has simply copied his homework question from his paper and isn't putting any thought into it. I hesitate to answer posts like that.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 11:27 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
. So if they get the answer to some history question from their textbook or a forum and write it down it is roughly the same.

there's not a lot of 'writing' going on these days above the elementary grades. Students are (here at least) expected to submit their homework 'typewritten' and/or electronically. I don't think cutting and pasting helps learning in the way that transcribing/writing might have (if it did at all).

Helping someone develop their response to a question is one thing. Completing their homework assignment is something different to me. It seems that the requests here are for completed assignments, not for assistance in researching the subject/developing an essay.

I suspect that some lovely A2K typos have been handed in to teachers.

I don't think it helps students learn anything to provide them with fully developed answers. They certainly don't appear to be learning how to learn or be curious.

There was a time when I tried to help students determine how to put together their answers. It didn't seem to be a particularly appreciated approach. I stay out of threads that seem to be requests for homework completion - either tagging them or thumbing them down or both.

It's bad enough when parents do their children's homework. At least then the parents know that the children didn't do the work.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 11:33 am
It revolves around the word 'help.' I help people when it is clear that they have attempted to learn something on their own. When they haven't done even the most basic work, you aren't actually helping them - you are doing it for them, which is a disservice.

I didn't come across the majority of my knowledge from asking others to tell me the answers to things, I read books - obsessively - for my entire life. Others who wish to have an abundance of knowledge should try that, before simply asking others to tell them the answers.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 11:37 am
@Robert Gentel,
Because this is the lazy way - if they are looking for just a straight up answer. If it is advice, help on how to address a problem that's fine. By giving the answer straight up - it promotes laziness.

Give you an example - my 1st grader is required to write sentences with her spelling words. She asks for my help - I help by telling her what the word means - but I will not give her a sentence to write.
0 Replies

emshae

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 11:53 am
I guess I'll stop asking questions. The only reason I ask for a homework question would be because 1 there is not enough info on my laptop or 2 i don't understand the question.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 11:56 am
@emshae,
emshae wrote:

I guess I'll stop asking questions. The only reason I ask for a homework question would be because 1 there is not enough info on my laptop or 2 i don't understand the question.

You're connected to the internet - how can there be 'not enough info' on your laptop?

If you need help finding information, ask away; if you need analysis help, ask away. Just don't ask for complete answers to be handed to you.

Cycloptichorn
Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 11:58 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Emshae is being pouty . . . s/he has told us that s/he is home-schooled.
emshae

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 12:19 pm
@Setanta,
she. Emily Shae.
0 Replies

emshae

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 12:20 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
2 different comp. i don't have net on my laptop
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 12:21 pm
@emshae,
emshae wrote:

2 different comp. i don't have net on my laptop

You obviously have net access SOMEWHERE; that should provide you with a portal of data to the world.

Damn, I'm gonna sound like an old dude saying this, but: you have no clue what it was like before the internet existed. You actually had to go places to find information yourself.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

emshae

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 12:23 pm
obviously. i can only use this comp when mom is sleeping. she says the internet makes you brain mushy.
Linkat

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 12:28 pm
@emshae,
There is always the library....that is where I went...and you can use the internet there as well.
emshae

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 12:37 pm
@Linkat,
If I could drive don't you think I would be there???
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 12:38 pm
@emshae,
emshae wrote:

obviously. i can only use this comp when mom is sleeping. she says the internet makes you brain mushy.

Sorry to hear that, because that's just not true, and I hope you don't believe it too. Reading, learning, and the acquisition of knowledge are fine things that the internet is very useful for.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

emshae

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 01:15 pm
Obviously i don't I'm on the computer aren't i?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 01:37 pm
Well, I am teaching my child (14) how to research online for her homework,
and I think it would be helpful for any homework seeker to get a link to an educational site where they can do their own research. There are plenty of educational informations (for every grade) online available; a simple hint along
these directions is appropriate, to answer their homework question is not.

0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 02:14 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Despite RG's whining about this, it's not just homework questions.

Why is it that you consider this topic "whining"?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 02:17 pm
@emshae,
You don't have buses/public transportation? If you are homeschooled what resources does your parents make available for your work - ie they should be bringing you to the library if you do not have material available at home.
Linkat

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 02:18 pm
@emshae,
And if you are able to post questions here - wouldn't you instead use this time you have available to do appropriate research elsewhere on the computer?
0 Replies

emshae

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 02:20 pm
@Linkat,
i live in the middle of a corn field so no there are no buses.
the library is 30 min away so i don't go often