what about tallulah???

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 11:16 pm
I'm getting a parti-colored black and white female poodle in a couple of weeks. She's a beautiful girl, and needs an outstanding name. Any suggestions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 3,932 • Replies: 41

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 11:24 pm
@mags314772,
mags314772 wrote:

I'm getting a parti-colored black and white female poodle in a couple of weeks.
She's a beautiful girl, and needs an outstanding name. Any suggestions?
I suggest either of 2 things:
1. look thru a history book
or a mythology book qua females who strike your interest.

2. look thru a book of names to give a baby
and select your favorite choice.

If she is a French poodle,
then u might be more interested in French female names.

Since she's a beautiful girl, how about Brigitte Bardot ?
(Note that she is now a French animal rights activist)

David
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 11:29 pm
I suggest waiting until you've met and spent a little time together. A name might come to you based on her behavior and demeanor. That's how I named most of my pets--they kind of named themselves.

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 11:33 pm
@mags314772,
How about Adeline, Katriane, or Marguerite?
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 11:36 pm
@tsarstepan,
Great source of French female names:
http://www.babynames.org.uk/french-girl-baby-names.htm
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 12:36 am

Lassie ?
roger

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 12:43 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Actually, I'm with Roberta. The first name I come up with ususally doesn't seem to work after a week or two. Cats don't seem to care, but it might confuse a dog if you have to change.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 01:21 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Actually, I'm with Roberta. The first name I come up with ususally doesn't seem to work after a week or two. Cats don't seem to care, but it might confuse a dog if you have to change.
SO STIPULATED.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 01:51 am
One thing to consider when naming a dog, and I am being very serious about this, is how comfortable are you going to be standing on your front steps at 9:00 at night for the next dozen years of your life and yelling, "Here, Tallulah, here, girl" very loudly? Some names when yelled repeatedly, can make you feel pretty silly, and wear out their novelty really quickly, particularly when the dog doesn't want to come in and pretends it doesn't hear you. I'm kind of ambivalent about Tallulah, can't tell whether it would last or whether it has a limited shelf life.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 01:58 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
One thing to consider when naming a dog, and I am being very serious about this, is how comfortable are you going to be standing on your front steps at 9:00 at night for the next dozen years of your life and yelling, "Here, Tallulah, here, girl" very loudly? Some names when yelled repeatedly, can make you feel pretty silly, and wear out their novelty really quickly, particularly when the dog doesn't want to come in and pretends it doesn't hear you. I'm kind of ambivalent about Tallulah, can't tell whether it would last or whether it has a limited shelf life.
HOW can u refer to a dog, or any mammal, as being "it" ??

It is genetically impossible for a mammal to be neuter gender.
He must be he or she.

David
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 02:38 am
David, most living things above the level of bacteria and amoebae have gender, including plants. Do you refer to a gingko tree as "she" or "he"? Do you even know how to tell. When a mosquito bites you, do you complain that "she" bit you? Do you check the underside of every dog you pass on the street? Or do you just do what most people are likely to do and talk about "it" unless gender makes a difference, like itf it tried to hump you? Gender is much less of a linguistic necessity in English for mammals other than humans. And of course there are languages like Chinese where nouns are in general genderless, and people seem to function quite well anyway. Do you refer to a mouse by its gender? A hamster? An elephant? Most of the time, probably not, unless you're talking about their social or sexual structures.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 03:21 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
David, most living things above the level of bacteria and amoebae have gender, including plants.
Do you refer to a gingko tree as "she" or "he"? Do you even know how to tell.
I have always thought of plants as being neuter gender, like rocks, tho now that u mention it,
I remember about cross-pollenation. I am sure that most of us
think of plants as being neuter gender; that may be factual error.

MontereyJack wrote:
When a mosquito bites you, do you complain that "she" bit you?
Do you check the underside of every dog you pass on the street?
No; I follow the general rule of grammar that he is assumed to be male,
except in the presence of contrary evidence. If u were told that
an individual citizen got the last seat on a plane, u 'd not speak
of that citizen as being "IT" but rather as being "he" or "him";
that is not limited to humans, but the same reasoning applies to ALL mammals.

MontereyJack wrote:
Or do you just do what most people are likely to do and talk about "it"
unless gender makes a difference, like itf it tried to hump you?
Certainly not! I know for SURE that a dog cannot be neuter gender
(not even if he has been neutered; he still remains male);
therefore, I refer to him as "he" unless informed that the dog is a bitch.

MontereyJack wrote:
Gender is much less of a linguistic necessity in English for mammals other than humans.
I see no logic in that.
No sale.

MontereyJack wrote:
And of course there are languages like Chinese where nouns
are in general genderless, and people seem to function quite well anyway.
I will concern myself with that, when I speak Chinese (which is never).

MontereyJack wrote:
Do you refer to a mouse by its gender? A hamster? An elephant?
Of course; again, he is assumed to be male until contrary evidence disproves that.

David

0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 03:24 am
Not to belabor a point, David, well, yes, to belabor a point--can you tell a male or female tree from those species which are more hermaphroditic? And is a neutered dog still "he"?--if so, why is it called "neutering"? "He" or "she" are not by any means obligatory.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 03:40 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Not to belabor a point, David, well, yes, to belabor a point--
That 's OK.

MontereyJack wrote:
can you tell a male or female tree from those species which are more hermaphroditic?
No.

MontereyJack wrote:
And is a neutered dog still "he"?--
Yes. Except only for his or her germ cells, every cell in his or her
body has XX or XY chromosomes, indicative of sex.
That is permanent.

MontereyJack wrote:
if so, why is it called "neutering"?
It is called neutering to express the concept that for purposes
of causing reproduction
, that animal is no longer a member of a viable sex.
I suspect that u already know that.

MontereyJack wrote:
"He" or "she" are not by any means obligatory.
The applicable logic is inexorable.
While we might not know whether a being (human or not human) is male or female,
we usually DO know that neutrality of gender is NOT among the possibilities; therefore,
the logic of the situation behooves us to avoid use of the pronoun
of the only gender that we know FOR CERTAIN that he or she is NOT.

David
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 03:54 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:

This is very true. My second dog was a beautiful female adult german shepherd we had gotten from the shelter. We were set on getting a male and I had told my son he could choose the dog's name. He had decided on the name Forrest for the first name and Pine for the second - 'Forrest Pine'. I thought that's great - we live in Maine, we like trees, we always chose big rugged dogs - yeah, that'll work.'

Well we got there and fell in love with this female dog. All of us - and she was already named. Her name was Montana. This was long before anyone named anything Montana, but the men in my family all liked Joe Montana as a quarterback, so I thought, 'Alright.' But my son still wanted to change her name. I thought she was too old for us to change her name.
Fact is, he never cottoned to the name Montana and everytime I'd stand on the porch and call 'Montana', he'd yell after me, 'New Jersey, Hawaii, Rhode Island, New Mexico....' it always made me laugh.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 04:00 am
@mags314772,
I think 'Lark' is a nice name for a female dog. Short, and makes me think of happiness, song, sky, flight. If I ever get another female dog and no one else has to agree with my choice (I tried Lark before - everyone said no) I'll name her Lark.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 04:56 am
@mags314772,
Quote:
I'm getting a parti-colored black and white female poodle in a couple of weeks. She's a beautiful girl, and needs an outstanding name. Any suggestions?

She sounds just beautiful & your idea of Tallulah for her name sounds pretty good to me! Very Happy
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 05:09 am
@msolga,
Quote:
I'm getting a parti-colored black and white female poodle in a couple of weeks.
She's a beautiful girl, and needs an outstanding name. Any suggestions?

msolga wrote:
She sounds just beautiful & your idea of Tallulah for her name sounds pretty good to me! Very Happy
U know, Olga, when I was a boy, I bawt plenty of comic books of Felix the Cat for 5 or 10 cents each.
Thay r now worth hundreds of $$@.
I never threw away my collection, mostly from the 1940s n 1950s; predominantly Superman comics,
but I don 't read them.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 09:42 am
Tallulah Barkhead

http://home.earthlink.net/~tgrillo/1.jpg

"Woof!"
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 10:41 am
I like Tallulah myself. It could turn into Tallie or Tally for short, thus following the two syllable "rule" I remember hearing about at some point.

I ended up calling my dog Pacco after having rejected Bacco and Baci and Bocce, which turned out to be a female noun in italian. His formal name was Pacco Dono, which I constructed to mean Gift Package - which I assume is not correct in italian but I didn't care. I called him everything from Pacco to paccodonopaccodonopaccodono (etc), sort of like the sound of a train, to Thunderpaws, the primary one being just Pacco. He tended to obey whatever name when called back to guard the herd (me).

So - to me the first question would be if you would like the dog's name to be in french or not.