Who doesn't like to eat?

detroittou

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 01:42 pm
People that are in good shape and eat a lot and hardly ever exercise are just born with it.
dyslexia

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 01:44 pm
@detroittou,
hogwash.
saab

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 02:00 pm
I like to cook, I like to set a nice table, I like to eat.
I eat slowly and always stop just before I had enough. I am active, but donĀ“t do excersice any place.
As soon as I stopped trying different types of diet and just enjoyed cooking and eating I started loosing weight and have kept that weight for at least 17 years.
I am listening to my body and not some dietician.
detroittou

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 02:07 pm
@saab,
Keep it up saab!
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 02:13 pm
@dyslexia,
I agree, total hogwash.

Your body burns X amount of calories per pound of fat, muscle, bone, etc. While the calories burned per pound of different types of body material do differ and the body composition of a person makes a difference in the number of calories they burn. The difference is small and eating a cheeseburger from McDonalds will negate any differences.

It's not like there will be a 150lb person who sits on their ass and eats 6000 calories per day and doesn't gain any weight. And another 150lb person who sits on their ass and eats 6000 calories per day and gains weight like crazy.

It ALL comes down to what you eat and how much of it you consume.
Francis

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 02:17 pm
@maporsche,
It depends also on how inspirational your wife is in your life...
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 03:08 pm
I know thyroid conditions can make a large difference in weight gain, aside from caloric counts, so I don't think Soz's observations are invalid. There may be other bodily conditions, as yet undiscovered, that predispose people to gain/lose weight.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 03:13 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
I don't like to eat. It provides little to no enjoyment.

However, I do understand the biological need to eat food. I do eat food. My BMI is hovering near 25.

That seems odd to me, that you really don't seem to enjoy eating at all. I just checked the BMI calculator thingie, and 25 is just barely overweight, like by a hair.

My BMI is 19.5, according to this calculator. I like to eat. I don't eat a ton of food (well, duh), but I really do enjoy eating.

If you don't like eating, how'd you get that hair overweight? I'm sorry if this sounds offensive, I don't mean to be. I'm just curious.
BorisKitten

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 03:30 pm
@BorisKitten,
Just went & read through your other thread, maporsche, where you say you have not-very-sensitive taste buds. I'd just thought, before reading that, that maybe your sense of smell isn't so keen.

I used to dislike it when folks made microwave popcorn at work, since I always wanted to eat it all. Does that smell make you want popcorn?

Oh, wait, I'm just nattering.
sozobe

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 03:45 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
It's not like there will be a 150lb person who sits on their ass and eats 6000 calories per day and doesn't gain any weight. And another 150lb person who sits on their ass and eats 6000 calories per day and gains weight like crazy.

That's not what I said though, either.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 03:51 pm
@BorisKitten,
BorisKitten wrote:

Just went & read through your other thread, maporsche, where you say you have not-very-sensitive taste buds.
I'd just thought, before reading that, that maybe your sense of smell isn't so keen.

I used to dislike it when folks made microwave popcorn at work, since I always wanted to eat it all.

Does that smell make you want popcorn?

Oh, wait, I'm just nattering.
No, because that stuff gets between your teeth,
but it smelled nice when thay did that.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 03:52 pm
@maporsche,
That's baloney you're saying and if you'd paid attention in your anatomy class
you would have learned that heredity, gender, hormones, insulin and thyroid imbalances as well as metabolism play a major role in how fast/slow people burn calories.

chai2

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 04:04 pm
Funny, I don't like the smell of popcorn.

When I was a kid, going into a bakery, the smells of cookies and sweet stuff baking used to make me want to gag.

Now I don't go into bakeries.
BorisKitten

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 04:28 pm
@chai2,
I love the bakery smells, too! I like how we're all so different.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 04:29 pm
@CalamityJane,
Oh thank you, Calamity, I couldn't recall those other, um, body chemicals & states that made a difference.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 04:40 pm
@CalamityJane,
Not only did I pay attention in anatomy class...but I've had 2 college level nutrition classes in the last 3-4 years too.

Those things play a role in how fast people burn calories; I've stipulated that. I'm saying that the role is negated by 1 McDonalds cheeseburger, or maybe a double cheeseburger a day.

Food choices make up the vast majority of reasons why people are overweight...the vast, vast, vast majority.
maporsche

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 04:42 pm
@sozobe,
Didn't mean to imply that.
maporsche

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 04:47 pm
@BorisKitten,
That calculator should have also stipulated that BMI isn't a perfect measurement for being overweight. It doesn't take body composition into account.

My body fat % is in the normal range; last time I measured (November) it was 16%.

And I never said I didn't eat. I do eat. I spend a whole lot of time thinking about eating and what to eat to meet my energy needs to support my marathon training, my triathlon training, my weight training.

I eat a lot of food; sometimes I miscalculate how much I should eat based on the activities I do, which is why I'm not at a 10% body fat.

My eating is much more of a nutritional calculation than it is an enjoyable experience. I'm tired of the math before every calorie of food ingested.
maporsche

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 04:58 pm
@maporsche,
Oh, and that's not even to mention the social influences that all seem to focus activities on eating.

Friends want to go out to dinner. Co-workers want to go out to lunch. The wife wants to have brunch with the family on Sunday. Beers with the boys. Someone wants me to try their brownies they brought in to the office.

Just because I don't enjoy food or eating doesn't mean I don't enjoy the company of people who enjoy all of those things. I imagine I would have as hard a time controlling my weight as other people do were I not so damned diligent about it.

I mean, if I were left to my own devices I could live the lifestyle I'd prefer, but I wouldn't have as good of friends and my wife would be frustrated with me.

I'm on a 7 day water fast right now; let me tell you how much it confuses/frustrates my wife/friends.
BorisKitten

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 05:17 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
Oh, and that's not even to mention the social influences that all seem to focus activities on eating.

You're so right about that, at least here in the US (I don't have experience w/other countries).

For me, I try to include a pet (I have lots) in these social occasions, rather than food... I really think the food is there just to give us something to focus on & talk about, to ease our social tensions. Pets work just as well.

Folks from other countries, chime in here?