which beer is the best in the world?

cicerone imposter

Thu 10 May, 2018 12:34 pm
@tsarstepan,
I like my beer served in a frozen mug.
tsarstepan

Mon 28 May, 2018 01:17 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Trying some Trader Joe's Sour Grapefruit by Petrus.

Perfect beer. Nanobit of tartness. Subtle bit of grapefruit.
tsarstepan

Tue 29 May, 2018 06:31 pm
@tsarstepan,
In some relatively stale beer news:
‘Drown wasps in beer for science’ public urged
Big Wasp Survey
0 Replies

Agent1741

Fri 1 Jun, 2018 07:28 pm
@djjd62,
Boddingtons is my favourite beer but not easy to get here even though its owned by Annheiser Bush. Not a fan of Murphys Stout or Guinness, its way to heavy to drink
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sat 2 Jun, 2018 03:03 am
The smoking ban and cheap supermarket booze has been blamed for the closure of many pubs. What has happened recently is many tiny little beer bars have been opening up. I've just moved house and this place is within walking distance, went there last night.

https://whatpub.com/img/HAS/00842/bookshop-alehouse-southampton/200/150
Lash

Sat 2 Jun, 2018 06:13 am
@izzythepush,
Good grief, what a perfect little place. I can almost smell the books. Great find.
izzythepush

Sat 2 Jun, 2018 06:21 am
@Lash,
I used to go there a lot when it was a bookshop. Now I've moved house everything is within walking distance. Before I lived at the top of a hill so the walk back home wasn't fun and I don't drink and drive at all, not even a glass of shandy.

That was our first drink for about 8 weeks, I couldn't risk a hangover when I had so much stuff to shift. Now we've moved out, but we're a long way from being moved in, surrounded by boxes and bits of furniture.
Lash

Sat 2 Jun, 2018 06:34 am
@izzythepush,
It can be irritating to live among boxes, but I think slow unpacking is best for people my age. Wrenching backs and pulling muscles is easy for us with prolonged physical exertion. Try to relax about boxes and do very few a day if you can.

I’m glad your new digs afford you more convenience. Sounds like a good choice.
izzythepush

Sat 2 Jun, 2018 07:09 am
@Lash,
The cats like it, and have been very easy, no chances of them going back to the old place.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sat 9 Jun, 2018 03:12 am
Quote:
A South African company has apologised for the branding of its new range of craft beers, which sparked an outcry, especially among women.

Vale Bru ran a marketing campaign for the beers with names such as Filthy Brunette‚ Easy Blonde‚ Raven Porra and Ripe Redhead.

Easy Blonde came with the tagline: "All your friends have already had her".

After being criticised for being sexist, the company promised to remove the labels and names.

The social media campaign advertised Filthy Brunette as: "When gushing and moist are used to describe something‚ then you know."

While the Raven Porra was described as, "a porter with the best head in town". According to South Africa's Times Live, Porra is a derogatory term for someone of Portuguese origin.

Thandi Guilherme, author of the platform Craft Geek, wrote on Instagram that Vale Bru "should be absolutely ashamed of yourselves. Crass, sexist, misogynistic branding and labelling".

The Johannesburg-based company issued its first apology, which has since been deleted, on Instagram. It said: "Our attempt at making you‚ and ourselves‚ uncomfortable‚ worked. However‚ we never meant to belittle or degrade you."

"If those keyboard crusaders want to carry on‚ feel free," it added.

Ms Guilherme later wrote on her blog: "#Metoo, Rape culture and Trump's 'locker room' misogyny are not funny. These are real problems that society is trying to deal with. Don't go there."

"I understand that sex sells‚ but these names don't hint at respectful sex," wrote South African blogger Lucy Corne.

"Maybe they should have asked themselves whether these are things that they would appreciate people saying about their little sister."

In a new apology, Vale Bru said it took "full accountability for our actions and we plan on making things right."

"We were insensitive and wrong, for which we apologise unreservedly," it added.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-44412277
0 Replies

Agent1741

Sun 10 Jun, 2018 06:37 pm
Got some Sam Adams Summer Ale yesterday seems pretty nice.
tsarstepan

Thu 12 Jul, 2018 06:36 pm
cicerone imposter

Thu 12 Jul, 2018 09:56 pm
@tsarstepan,
Hi Tsars, Come on out to Northern California and I'll buy you the best beer you ever drank. If you don't agree, I'll treat you to some beer.
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 13 Jul, 2018 04:46 am
@Agent1741,
Ive had some naturally carbonated ("kegged") hard cider and some articially carbonated and I must say that the natural carbonation ones taste kinda funky to me. I guess it because the "natural" processes use the yeast that s out there and not especially developed for the product.
Our own DOGFISH HEAD brweery in lower Delaware uses champagne yeasts to make these horribly brutal IPA's that taste like machine oil and have a 24% alcohol. (I know Sam Adams makes a 30% er but thats just dumb)
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 13 Jul, 2018 04:48 am
@tsarstepan,
its all in the malting process and grain mix. Im sorry but rice should only be used in chinese food never beer.

tsarstepan

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 05:58 am
@farmerman,
0 Replies

TooFriendly112

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 02:45 pm
That's a question of price I'm sure. Like a fine champange the more it costs the better etc. Why don't you support your local brewery or local company.
tsarstepan

Fri 27 Jul, 2018 07:31 am
@TooFriendly112,
TooFriendly112 wrote:

Why don't you support your local brewery or local company.

I'm kind of certain that you didn't read much into this thread. A lot of people are brew name dropping a lot of craft breweries (many being local to their own vicinity). Keeping in mind that members in this thread live all across the US; Canada; Europe; Australia; and to a much lesser extent... many places in between (including India).
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Fri 3 Aug, 2018 10:35 am
@TooFriendly112,
TooFriendly112 wrote:
That's a question of price I'm sure. Like a fine champange the more it costs the better etc.

Not true whatsoever. "Better" being subjective, of course, I find that a lot of the more expensive brews are in fact better, but many very high-cost beers are over-priced. I'm constantly looking for that happy medium, sweet spot beer, that's not to pricey but very excellent. That's the goal of my search.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 3 Aug, 2018 10:45 am
Just went a bit mad in the beer shop today. Chouffe have brought out a cherry beer so I got some and a big bottle of rose.

https://store.belgianshop.com/5344-large_default/cherry-chouffe-rouge-8-13l.jpg

https://www.colruyt.be/sites/default/files/beer/chouffe_rose.jpg