Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 06:24 pm
I note some interest in The Brew:

http://able2know.org/topic/139792-1

We occasionally participate in

http://www.realbeer.com/discussions/index.php

but incidentally wonder if you have such a fave site

To this end my two Sons and I hold irregular beer tastings in our sauna starting with a cooler of 30 brews, my Better Half opening the bottle while we avert. Our offspring and I then without comment score it on a scale of 1 to 10 in increments of 0.1. Now we discuss it and finally we guess at its identity yes-no. Once in a while we hit with a single guess but typically 4 to 6 required

We record our scores, theirs usually being more consistent though the practice being highly subjective all vary over a pretty wide range. Another reason is the deadening effect of one brew upon the next: For instance the lagers get lower scores than I think they should because they’re not as assertive. My sons’ scores are however far more consistent than mine as they have a superior palates

In scoring you will incidentally note a predominance of pairs since my single No. 2 Son visits more often while No. 1 is kept busy with his new family. When it’s only No. 2, being an octogen I crap out after 14 tastings (that’s 6 oz each) when we then quit. If the hot tub didn’t dissipate some of the alcohol there’s no way I’d achieve a dozen tastings, especially since many of the brews are of higher concentration

As we’ve been at it some 15 years the listing is pretty extensive. We’d be happy to share it with you if you will inquire to [email protected].

Bottoms up
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,255 • Replies: 7
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 06:31 pm
@dalehileman,
About once every few weeks I will enjoy a hard cider. I especialy like the tangy assertiveness of Woodchuck Granny SMith Ale.
Im not a drinker and beer is off my list of beverages of choice. I wi try a quick ale or (if nothing else available) an IPA with some clams once or twice in the summer. My favorite ale is Yuengling Chesterfield Ale in BOTTLES, (not from a tap which I found a bit disagreeable when we visited the Yuengling Brewery several years ago)
Ragman

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 07:26 pm
@dalehileman,
For years I've liked Sam Adams various brews, as a rule. Mostly I like what are called craft beers (or what I used to know as micro-brews). My preference of beer types these days are Belgian (either white or wheat) and IPAs. The most I ever drink in an evening these days is 2 beers.

I more prefer red wines but that depends on with whom I'm sharing a table and what I'm serving. As for wines, I love Italian reds as well as Californian reds and those from Pacific Northwest.

{Edit: I was 'shocked' to discover Shock Top is owned by A-Busch ... cringe ... Budweiser consortium. It's made in Ft. Collins, Colo. I hope it's just their money they borrow.}

Recently I discovered a tasty beer Belgian-Style Wheat beer called Shock Top. It's unfiltered and is flavored (subtle) with citrus peels and coriander spice.
Shock Top Belgian White won gold and bronze medals in the Belgian Wit (White) category at the 2006 and 2007 North American Beer Awards,

Speaking of buds, over time, my taste buds tired of most flavored beers about 12 yrs ago. These days it has to be only a hint of flavor, if it is flavored at all. Shock Top have 4 other flavors in addition. Raspberry Wheat, Wheat IPA, Pumpkin Wheat and Shock Top Lemon Shandy. I have as yet to try the others so I've no comment yet. Apparently, they had a launch of the Pumpkin Wheat called Shocktoberfest tasting event in Boston.

http://www.shocktopbeer.com/s/index.php/blog/
Ragman

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 09:29 pm
@Ragman,
Oops! I forgot one: I just remebered this excellent craft beer (made in NH) called Smuttynose Barleywine Style Ale (Big Beer Series).

I have to try this one again as it's been more than 10 yrs since last time I tasted one of their older-styled beers.
The beer lovers love it a lot, though.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/141/181
Ragman

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 11:28 pm
@Ragman,
Oh yes, I forgot - the ever-popular and (easy-to-find) Blue Moon is very good.

{Edit: once again after research I found out this tidbit: Miller-Coors does not actively advertise the fact that the brew is owned by Miller-Coors, instead focusing on the Blue Moon Brewing Co. Another mass-producer big-buck, deep pocket}
dalehileman

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 10:21 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
beer is off my list of beverages of choice.
Maybe you started off with the wrong choices

But ales and IPA’s are considered beers
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 10:35 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
For years I've liked Sam Adams various brews, as a rule. Mostly I like what are called craft beers (or what I used to know as micro-brews).
. Sams are good but my No. 2 son and I strongly suggest you try also the Sierra Nevada brews

Quote:
My preference of beer types these days are Belgian (either white or wheat) and IPAs.
Yes yes, a palate after our own

Quote:
The most I ever drink in an evening these days is 2 beers.
A smart move, esp as you get older with diminished capacity. I too accordingly limit everyday tasting. But when my sons visit the limit is 7, whereupon I’ve keeled over attempting to exit the sauna

Quote:
{Edit: I was 'shocked' to discover Shock Top is owned by A-Busch ... cringe ... Budweiser consortium. It's made in Ft. Collins, Colo. I hope it's just their money they borrow.}
Indeed a disturbing revelation

Quote:
Speaking of buds, over time, my taste buds tired of most flavored beers about 12 yrs ago.
I too find it difficult to appreciate the flavored brews
Tho I do try one oft and on

http://www.shocktopbeer.com/s/index.php/blog/

Thank you Rag for that link. We’ll keep our eyes out for that variety pak
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 10:46 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
Oh yes, I forgot - the ever-popular and (easy-to-find) Blue Moon is very good.

Forthwith our scorings thus far

Blue Moon Rising Moon Spring Amber Wheat Ale, Seasonal, Co 4.9/3.7; 3.8/4.2; 4.5/3.9

Blue Moon Belgian (?) White (?) Wheat ale, Co

Blue Moon Belgian White Wheat ale, Co 4.3/3.9; 3.0/5.3/6.5; 2.6/4.4; 2.8/4.0; 4.7/4.9; 5.0/4.9

I hasten to explain 3.0 = acceptable; 5.0 = excellent; however ours isn’t a linear scale. One of our tasters remarks that a reaction of 10 means instant death by overwhelming euphoria. No. 1 nominates Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale (9.7)
0 Replies