Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 02:22 pm
Beer makes men smarter: study
Males solve brain teasers better after consuming alcohol, researchers say

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/beer-men-smarter-study-article-1.1059752

Do you believe this study's results? Do you feel smarter after getting a tad buzzed from a few drinks?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 2,580 • Replies: 10

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 02:25 pm
@tsarstepan,
And women!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 03:38 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'd be bloody surprised!
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 04:14 pm
Cliff figured it out...after a few beers.

Quote:
One night at Cheers, Cliff Clavin explained the "Buffalo Theory" to his buddy, Norm.
"Well ya see, Norm, it's like this. A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine ! That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers." -- Cliff Clavin
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 04:51 pm
@tsarstepan,
Never did a thing for me. In fact, just made me stupider. Made me believe I was smarter but, then, it also made me believe I was able to leap tall buildings at a single bound.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 04:53 pm
@Irishk,
Well done Iri

I shall have to mull it over

But immediately after the next meeting of our beer-tasting colony
farmerman

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 05:13 pm
@dalehileman,
maybe not beer but Tequila aways made me smarter, tougher, sexier, and invisible.
Irishk

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 06:01 pm
@farmerman,
Bottoms up!
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 07:20 pm
@tsarstepan,
I suspect that a very slight intoxication makes people less likely to "overthink" their answers to multiple choice questions, and improves the probability to select the right answer on instinct (or "gut feel").

Even when sober, instructors always tell you to go with your initial "gut" instinct on any question you don't know the answer to. Since alcohol reduces inhibition and increases spontaneous reactions, it probably just enhances the tendency to "go with your gut".
Ragman

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 08:36 pm
@rosborne979,
But, OTOH, with beer drinking in much quantity you have more gut to go with. Drunk
dalehileman

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 10:54 am
@Ragman,
Keep it up fellas, I’m more nearly convinced with each posting
0 Replies