which beer is the best in the world?

izzythepush

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 02:51 pm
@Ragman,
We've got a small brewery not long opened up in Swanmore. It's very good, not many pictures though.

Quote:
SOMETHING special is brewing in Upper Swanmore.

A new microbrewery called Broken Bridge Brewing has been making waves since it started.

Head brewer and proprietor Jim Fullegar, 26, has been busy mastering the craft and the new brewery is very much a family affair.

Mr Fullegar’s father Charlie built the grain hopper, installed the cold store and did the plumbing, Jim’s mother Sue and his 75-year-old grandmother Joy all help out.

The new microbrewery produces about 400 litres of ale six times a month.
Its flagship ale is called It’s 5 O’ Clock Somewhere” (five per cent) which is a modern American Pale Ale brewed with rye and Vienna malts, and predominantly cascade and Chinook hops.

Mr Fullegar learned the brewing process in the Flowerpots brewery at Cheriton and Red Cat brewery in Winchester.

He said: “We are used to working together and previously had another business running the village shop in Meonstoke, where I still help out. We are well known in the area and that is why we are getting such tremendous support.”

Ales from the brewery were showcased at the award-winning The Guide Dog pub in Southampton.

They were a huge success and within two days they had sold out. And they also sold out at the Hampshire Bowman Beer Festival.

http://www.hampshirechronicle.co.uk/news/14673864.New_brewery_starts_up_in_Upper_Swanmore/<br />
I don't think much of it will be going outside of Hampshire, let alone abroad. The local beer shop sells it on tap, I don't think they've got round to bottling it yet.

Ragman

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 08:23 pm
@izzythepush,
I'll be traveling soon overseas. I'll be doing some in-person beverages and. victuals sampling in London, Edinburgh, Paris, Barcelona and Lausanne/Geneva Sw. Lots of eating and sightseeing 5 weeks.
izzythepush

Fri 28 Jul, 2017 12:57 am
@Ragman,
When will you be in London?
Ragman

Fri 28 Jul, 2017 12:31 pm
@izzythepush,
Thinking it to be around early August...for about 5 days. I know that we land in London as the first destination - making the potential timeframe from August 10-16th.

My S.O., Maxine has 2 relative, in 2 diff locations, in the vicinity with whom we'll be staying.
More details to follow as I get the itinerary from my S.O., the lovely magnificent Maxine. Looking fwd to grabbing a few brew with you should it work out.

Ironicallly, here in upstate NY, we're working on growing 9 tomato plants in yard. Someone will benefit from these maturing and ripening ...however, it most likely won't be us. We''l be back sept 25. There will still be some yield, but who knows how much.
ossobucotemp

Fri 28 Jul, 2017 12:41 pm
@Ragman,
Happy for Russ and Maxine, natch, and hope you all grab a brew, for however little time.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 28 Jul, 2017 02:11 pm
@Ragman,
I'm going to Copenhagen on 21st August for five days and I've got a dental appointment on 10th, but other than that my diary is pretty free. Let me know where would be best for you. I'm quite flexible.
Ragman

Sat 29 Jul, 2017 09:27 am
@izzythepush,
ok. I have another close timeframe that I'll be there, too . I'll keep you informed through PM (or here). Maxine is doing the itinerary. If I were in charge, we'd be in Moscow's Red Square wondering why everyone was drinking vodka gimlets.
izzythepush

Sat 29 Jul, 2017 09:45 am
@Ragman,
We have vodka too. Gin is very popular right now though, lots of artisanal varieties about.

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/d6/a4/a9/d6a4a967e68bf424682ea9216b82402e--gin-quotes-smile-quotes.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/1a/f9/25/1af9250d860287b53f7abdcb2b5599a9--uk-pub-pub-signs.jpg
coluber2001

Sat 29 Jul, 2017 10:43 am
Recently, somebody gave me an IPA Dogfish Head 60 or 90 minute, I'm not sure which, but it was the best beer or ale I ever drank. It's like a new category, not much like beer at all, sort of citrusy. I'd like to try it again.
farmerman

Sat 29 Jul, 2017 12:07 pm
@izzythepush,
gin was my favorite Boodles and then Beefeater brands. Beefeater I ould stick in the Freezer and just down it with bitters or something like a lime squeeze.
We had artisanal gins too but ours tasted like isopropyl alcohol, whereas a nice Bombay is still holding that juniper taste.

0 Replies

Ragman

Sat 29 Jul, 2017 01:20 pm
@coluber2001,
I've had Dogfish and will have it again based on recommendation. I know a lot of people whose taste buds I respect, who like it too.

To my liking that piney or citrusy, hoppy taste is welcome when not over-done. I still gravitate to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale:
"sweet piney/hoppy smell. Taste is a bit of citrus, bit of hops, fairly sweet. Overall a complex beer but it doesn't try to do too much, one of the best pale ales I've tried."
0 Replies

Ragman

Sat 29 Jul, 2017 01:56 pm
@izzythepush,
I'll be traveling soon overseas. Hopefully I'll be doing some in-person beverages and victuals sampling in London, Edinburgh, Paris, Barcelona and Lausanne/Geneva Sw. Lots of eating and sightseeing over 5 weeks.

OK, here's my official London timeframes:

Arrive on Wednesday Aug 9th. Staying on Walton-On-Thames from 9th Wednesday 'til Friday the 11th.

Then 11-14th to southeast LONDON.

Back again on Sept 6-8th to London. We understand train ride from London to Sorhhampton might be 80 min? Of course, if I were to attempt the train, I'd end up arriving in Red Square at some point.
izzythepush

Sat 29 Jul, 2017 03:25 pm
@Ragman,
I don't know how well you know London, but there is so much to do there I don't know if you'd want to spend time travelling. I'm happy to drive to London. I normally drive to Hammersmith and catch the tube to wherever.

Having said that if you did want to head down my way you'd be much better off going to Winchester. Winchester, unlike Southampton, wasn't bombed flat during WW2 and there's a lot to see.

Arthur's round table.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c8/Winchester_-_Table_ronde_du_roi_Arthur.JPG/220px-Winchester_-_Table_ronde_du_roi_Arthur.JPG

Winchester Cathedral
http://www.paradoxplace.com/Photo%20Pages/UK/Britain_South_and_West/Winchester_Cathedral/W-Images/800s/Facade2-Jul04-D5310sAR900.jpg
Having said that the service offered by Southern Rail is very poor and they're in the middle of an industrial dispute right now. Strikes are planned for Aug 1, 2 and 4. They probably won't be able to have any more for a while due to notice legally required, but it could knock September out. There's always National Express coaches.
ossobucotemp

Sat 29 Jul, 2017 03:34 pm
@izzythepush,
I had to look up Hammersmith, to search a memory - a long ago medical associate worked at the Hammersmith Hospital there for some years before setting up a practice in Beverly Hills, California. Funny man, we all liked him.

Off topic, of course, since I don't remember if he like beer.. (he must have).

0 Replies

Ragman

Sun 30 Jul, 2017 12:30 pm
@izzythepush,
I'm taking notes. Showing Maxine your comments.

Winchester Cathedral looks gorgeous. I'd love to see it and many other Commonwealth architectural marvels. Westminster Abbey, for certain is on my list.

Speaking of Abbey ...got to see Abbey Road Studios if it isn't impractical.

Apropos of nothing mentioned, turning on a PBS food show: Simply Ming. He makes recipe that a for (us) basic cookers - 8 easy-to-find ingredients or less.
Ragman

Sun 30 Jul, 2017 12:48 pm
@Ragman,
Arrgh: I can't tour Abbey Road Studios. It is once more a working studio so the tours are only in the vicinity...the striped crosswalk and vicinities of where Beatles and rockers once played. Nuts!
cicerone imposter

Sun 30 Jul, 2017 10:45 pm
@Ragman,
Don't miss "Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese" on Fleet Street. That's where we once had a a2k meet some decades ago. It's one of the oldest pubs, and Charles Dickens and Dr Johnson used to frequent. It's a quaint drinking hole unlike anywhere else. Don't miss the following: a) National Gallery @ Trafalgar Square, b) V&A Museum, c) Chelsea for a guided walking tour, d) Maritime Museum & Clock Museum (International Date Line) at Greenwich, e) Churchill's War Rooms, f) Buckingham Palace, and g) the theater district in London has some of the best shows in the world. Look up the Barbican; I went to a concert by Jerry Goldsmith that included the music from all the famous movies up to that time. Use the public transportation. They have day(s) and weekly passes. If you have specific questions, I'll try to answer, but be forewarned that my memory has begun to fail me. I'll try to add something about Edinburgh, Paris, Barcelona and Geneva later on. From London, you can take the train to Paris on Eurostar. If you have time, stop over in Bruges. It's a small walking town with many canals. http://www.visitflanders.com/en/destinations/bruges/

BTW, what are your interests?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 01:08 am
@Ragman,
If you want a Beatles experience you really need to go to Liverpool, but that would be for another time. It takes the best part of a day's travel to get there from London.

You can still see the zebra crossing, but the photos are not quite the same because the photographer responsible for the album cover was up a ladder.
0 Replies

panzade

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 02:26 pm
@coluber2001,
Dogfish is very tasty ale.
cicerone imposter

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 03:15 pm
@panzade,
Does anyone know about great beers in the area of the Mississippi River from Memphis to New Orleans?
0 Replies