which beer is the best in the world?

tsarstepan

Sat 31 May, 2014 07:55 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

dalehileman wrote:
I'm impressed by the consistency of my sons' ratings compared to mine and their incredible memories of color as well as flavor

You once rated Fat Tire a 6.9.

If 5 is "excellent," what's 6.9?

Ambrosial? Alchemicalific? Razz
dalehileman

Sun 1 Jun, 2014 10:52 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
If 5 is "excellent," what's 6.9? Ambrosial? Alchemicalific?
Demonstrating how subjective the scorings. Probably it was the first brew of a tasting session and I was thirsty
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Sun 1 Jun, 2014 11:40 am
@tsarstepan,
"Ambrosial? Alchemicalific? "

Hoptastic!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 1 Jun, 2014 11:55 am
@ossobuco,
I probably should have said 'more interested' in beer. A lot of years ago I'd have some from the pitchers the theater group bought, but not a whole lot, and I don't remember thinking it was somehow wonderful. Before that I'd had some beer in Mexico, dos Equis and Carta Blanca and liked those ok. But I'd always liked wine better, even back when I drank dreck wine like most others of us. Much later, in northern California, I got to like Red Tail Ale and Downtown Brown with some Pacifico Clara once in a while, that one iced cold on a hot day.

Now I'm back to drinking dreck wine, and my grocery store beers are equivalent or near re price so I'm exploring them, and they are more interesting to me than they used to be.
dalehileman

Sun 1 Jun, 2014 01:40 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Before that I'd had some beer in Mexico, dos Equis and Carta Blanca and liked those ok.
At least 17 beer snobs in our GSBTS might be willing to suggest about 700 other brews that you might like better

Quote:
...my grocery store beers…. are more interesting to me than they used to be.
Compared to when I was a kid they now carry many, many more. You're encouraged, O., to try 'em all
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Mon 2 Jun, 2014 04:35 am

Cheap Beer Reviewed By A Wine Expert
mismi

Wed 4 Jun, 2014 03:25 pm
@tsarstepan,
I love that.

I think I shall have to look for Schlitz.

I am very much a citrusy beer kind of gal.

Tried a new one last night -

https://samueladams.s3.amazonaws.com/app_assets/bottledetaillargeporchrockerv2--en--82748a16-b61b-4111-95c7-4e8de783a4f9.png

"Tart & refreshing, this unique summer quencher is our twist on the Bavarian Radler, named for cyclists that originated this drink. Traditionally a mixture of beer and lemonade, for our take we combined the crispness of a golden Helles lager with a blend of lemons to create a fresh squeezed tangy taste perfect for the long yet fleeting days of summer."

panzade

Wed 4 Jun, 2014 04:25 pm
@mismi,
WOW!
0 Replies

izzythepush

Wed 4 Jun, 2014 04:39 pm
@mismi,
We call that shandy.
mismi

Wed 4 Jun, 2014 04:57 pm
@izzythepush,
Is that what it's called for all citrus beers? I wasn't sure...but I do like shandies.
izzythepush

Thu 5 Jun, 2014 01:41 am
@mismi,
Basically beer and lemonade. There's shandy and there's shandy. If you ask for a shandy in a pub you'll most likely get half and half beer and lemonade, but you can buy shandy in cans ready made. That's a lot weaker(less than 2 degrees proof), and kids were allowed to buy it. They were in my day anyway, the laws may have changed, but I don't think so.

Here's a lot of pop from the 7os, including shandy.
http://i40.tinypic.com/1621z4g.jpg[/url]

Our lemonade is fizzy, closer to Sprite or 7Up than anything home made.
[img]http://www.bootleggersdelivery.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/r-whites-lemonade.jpg
Lordyaswas

Thu 5 Jun, 2014 03:02 am
@izzythepush,
I remember buying that shandy, purely for the girl in the bikini!
izzythepush

Thu 5 Jun, 2014 03:11 am
@Lordyaswas,
The thing I'm most nostalgic about is the Tom & Jerry pop, it really brings back memories of that hot summer in 1976.
Lordyaswas

Thu 5 Jun, 2014 03:15 am
@izzythepush,
That was the year I went abroad for the first time, and missed it.
I was in Majorca where it was cloudy, so I came home white and pasty to meet all my mates who were as brown as a berry.
izzythepush

Thu 5 Jun, 2014 03:21 am
@Lordyaswas,
I never went abroad with my parents, my mother refused to go abroad. She went to Germany shortly after the war and hated it. As far as she was concerned 'abroad' was a single place. I had to endure the misery of going to Scarborough every bloody year.
mismi

Thu 5 Jun, 2014 06:05 am
@izzythepush,
Huh. Actual lemonade and beer. I didn't know.

This is the shandy I am talking about. There are a few I think.

https://leinie.com/assets/images/beers/bg_orangeshandy.jpg
I love this one too.
Ticomaya

Thu 5 Jun, 2014 07:56 am
@mismi,
Leinenkugel's main shandy is its "Summer Shandy," which is lemonade and (wheat) beer.

http://i.imgur.com/Qg8816j.png
tsarstepan

Thu 5 Jun, 2014 08:27 am
What Your Beer Choice Says About You
http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewziegler/what-your-beer-choice-says-about-you
Lordyaswas

Thu 5 Jun, 2014 08:27 am
@izzythepush,
Nor mine. My Mum wouldn't have garlic in the house and thought that all spaghetti was made by Heinz and came in a tin.
My childhood holidays ranged from Canvey Island to the Isle of Wight, and finally Belton, near Great Yarmouth.

1976 was my first 'adult' holiday, without the parents. A fortnight in Stalag five, El Arenal, Majorca. The hotel had many nationalities there, and each evening meal was themed to one particular country.
Monday was Germany, Tuesday Italy etc....

When it came to British cuisine, they served a weirdly cooked roast dinner with a portion of cod, and a dessert consisting of a bowl of tinned rice pudding with a slice of bread placed on top.
You guessed it, bread and butter pudding! The looks we got that evening had to be seen to be believed.

I'm just glad they didn't attempt spotted dick.
0 Replies

mismi

Thu 5 Jun, 2014 09:20 am
@tsarstepan,

Those are hilarious...and I find they are totally on point for the beer I tend to like. I am no beer connoisseur - that's for sure.
0 Replies