which beer is the best in the world?

mismi

Sat 10 May, 2014 01:29 pm
@tsarstepan,
No - I was just replying that I thought the ad was awesome. I have not tried it. I am not a lover of pales. I have had one that I didn't mind. But I was wanting a Shock Top the entire time I was drinking it. I'll try anything. But just to say I tried it. I always go back to my "sissy" beers.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 15 May, 2014 08:52 am
A bit worrying.

Quote:
Hops growers are struggling to meet demand. Could beer-makers run out of a crucial ingredient?

Hops are hot. Their price in the US has doubled in 10 years. Some even predict the equivalent of Armageddon for beer lovers - a hops shortage.

The reason is craft beer, which has come from nowhere to claim 8% of the US beer market.

Far more hops go into craft beer than the equivalent produced by large corporate brewers - roughly six times more. The brewing revolution has triggered a shift away from bland, high-yield alpha hops to the "aroma" varieties responsible for the striking citrus notes in craft beer. It is a "double whammy" - more hops needed but they are of the varieties that are less productive.

By next year, acreage will be planted 60/40 in favour of aroma varieties, says Ann George, director of Hop Growers of America. It used to be 70/30 the other way. The hop plants take a couple of years to be productive. It's going to be touch and go. "Craft breweries are opening faster than farmers can grow hops," reported US online magazine Vox.

Steve Dresler, brewmaster at Sierra Nevada told the Financial Times that the crunch could come as early as next year.

Before everyone panics, the US situation is rather different to Europe's. The price of hops in the UK and Germany has not surged in the same way as in America, says Alison Capper of the British Hops Association. She concedes that many craft beer-makers in the UK insist on American hops. But even in the UK things will be tight if last year's weather problems are repeated. The 2014 crop is "pretty much sold out", she says.
So could the pumps run dry for US craft beer in the coming two years?

"It will be tight," says George. "There are more brewers in the marketplace, more people want hops and growers can only expand so quickly." She rejects talk of a shortage. But says that small producers who rely on last minute hops purchases, could miss out.

A cynic might say that producers always talk up scarcity. But a shortage is not fanciful - it happened in 2007. Panic buying by hipsters might be premature. But small brewers may need to think further ahead or be ready to tweak their recipe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-27421779
farmerman

Thu 15 May, 2014 09:06 am
@izzythepush,
might a farmer ;profit from an intense introduction of hop bushes onto his acreage?

Ive grown hops I was not aware there were even different varietals varietals . Ive mostly felt that such "mine v yours" differences were more marketing than reality.
Ill have to contact Penn State advisory and see what they recommend for our area and soil.
hOPS REQUIRES a lot of maintenance of the rows. We used to grow some Christmas trees about 25 years ago and wed send sheep in between rows to keep the rows clean of competing plants.
Ill see whether the hops plants can thrive with grazing sheep.
neologist

Thu 15 May, 2014 11:04 am
@farmerman,
You should hop right on that, farmer. Even a bad IPA is preferred to a (shudder) Coors Lite. Just tell me the name of the brewery buying your hops and I'll be a customer.
izzythepush

Thu 15 May, 2014 11:26 am
@farmerman,
I was born in Kent, and my old headmaster used to tell me that half the kids would take four weeks off school in September/October to go "hopping."

Having said that in the 70s during the high point of mass produced beers like Watney's Red, they started cutting down a lot of hops and converting olds oast houses to residential houses.
http://s0.geograph.org.uk/photos/92/81/928179_40c3fcdc.jpg
dalehileman

Thu 15 May, 2014 11:39 am
@neologist,
Quote:
Even a bad IPA is preferred to a (shudder) Coors Lite.
Neo you've again made my day
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 15 May, 2014 11:50 am
@izzythepush,
well, I did my economics first. ( We usually get caught up in the romance of some kind of farming adventure and then discover later that it takes more effort and cash than I recouped in a crop year)
My contacts at Penn State gave me some " net returns per acre'. The numbers for the better hops like "Cascade' "Amarillo" or "Centennial" can give a net return of about 6K an acre. I can make about 3700$ per acre by being the "patron" of a tobcco operation nd, were I to do all the wprk and seeding nd cultivating, my return would be about 8K an acre.
Hops doesn't appear to be as desirable as Id thought.
My earlier ideas of growing ginseng under a cover of PAwlonia trees is a lot more profitable nd Ive already started a 10cre plot of pawlonia.
farmerman

Thu 15 May, 2014 12:00 pm
@farmerman,
The Ost house designs are a bit more lavish thn what we use for tobacco drying here in the East US. In this pic you can see the slats that are rised to let air circulate after the tobacco is dried a bit under a constant oven fire. The tobacco is slowly cured and then stripped (The leaf is seprated from the stems) and the leaf is layed and pressed into "books" or "Schreibe" in Pa Dutch)
It would seem that a tobacco barn could easily be repurposed into a sort of oast house.
It appears that the hop flowers are layed about on the floors and the floors have holes. Tobacco is hung from special racks with "tobacco lath" and there are several strips where the floor boards cn be removed in long strips toallow air circulation
0 Replies

neologist

Thu 15 May, 2014 12:38 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Hops doesn't appear to be as desirable as Id thought.
Another dream crushed! Sad
farmerman

Thu 15 May, 2014 01:15 pm
@neologist,
yeh. It would have been neat. I grew some before and had about 5 of the "bines". It turned out that I had 3 males an only 2 females. You only get the product from females.
Builder

Thu 15 May, 2014 03:28 pm
@farmerman,
As an aside, hops and cannabis sativa are in the same family, and you can graft mary jane onto a hops vine. Saw vast trellised fields of hops in Tasmania on my last trip. Hops are also addictive, to an extent, and prior to that discovery, beer was flavoured with wormwood, which is not addictive.
izzythepush

Thu 15 May, 2014 04:11 pm
@Builder,
Builder wrote:
prior to that discovery, beer was flavoured with wormwood, which is not addictive.

Which is where bitter comes from.
Builder

Thu 15 May, 2014 04:24 pm
@izzythepush,

Quote:
Which is where bitter comes from.

It's an odd flavour, but not unpleasant. I experimented with several alternatives when playing with the home brewing gig.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 15 May, 2014 04:59 pm
@farmerman,
My grandfather had a hop farm for a while in the Santa Rosa general area. Long time ago.. and not for very long.

I was surprised the first time I saw a photo of hops, they can be rather pretty.

http://roguefarmsblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/john-in-field09.jpg
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 15 May, 2014 05:02 pm
@Builder,
that's one of the reasons that hops cannot be grazed around by cattl or sheep. The alkaloids would be toxic to them. Ive been told that you cn get a roring headache from chewing hops. The molecule of active alkaloid is a sort of a para- isomer of cannabinol .

Too much work for not much return. I suppose if the market keeps booming, the value of citrusy hops (Centennial ) nd the piney smelling kind (forgot the variety) will keep going higher nd then would be maybe more attractive to grow.

Ill stick with my ginseng glade
cicerone imposter

Thu 15 May, 2014 05:37 pm
@farmerman,
When we were youngsters, we used to go harvest hop by standing in a crow's nest on a flat bed truck, and cutting the string that the hop grew on. It was hot, nasty, hard, work. Some times the temp hit over 100 degrees.

I think it had some similarities to slaves picking cotton in the hot sun.

Didn't drink beer until much later when I volunteered into the USAF.
0 Replies

neologist

Wed 28 May, 2014 11:09 am
I was just thinking of this delightful thread and wondering if anyone had some new experience to share.
tsarstepan

Wed 28 May, 2014 11:13 am
@neologist,
Drinking beer is frowned upon at work. So nothing new to report right now. Wink
panzade

Wed 28 May, 2014 11:31 am
....on the other hand.
Drinking beer is a must at my work.
And lately it's been a lot of Sweetwater IPA brewed in Atlanta.
All the music venues seem to have it though I haven't seen it in my grocery store.
Unfiltered and unpasteurized with a premium English Malt for good measure...highly recommended.
http://m5.paperblog.com/i/77/777968/sweetwater-420-ipa-coming-to-16oz-cans-L-4vXrV5.png
dalehileman

Wed 28 May, 2014 02:19 pm
@panzade,
Nah Pan, I asked my Better Half, who is much smarter than I and she agreed, for school not shifts. Instead day, evening and weekend classes

https://www.google.com/#q=Day+or+evening+school+classes+called