which beer is the best in the world?

cicerone imposter

Sat 15 Feb, 2014 03:27 pm
@anonymously99,
You mean to say you don't care for "dry" beer? Asahi is known as a dry beer.
cicerone imposter

Sat 15 Feb, 2014 03:29 pm
@anonymously99,
I saw Sierra Nevada at Sprouts today when my wife and I went shopping there.
They have about 5 or 6 different ones, and I wondered which one I should buy.

Ragman

Sat 15 Feb, 2014 03:31 pm
@cicerone imposter,
My preference is Pale Ale. Pale Ale is still the number one seller, accounting for 60% of the company’s sales.

However, tastes being so subjective...your mileage may vary.

FWIW, here's Sierra Nevada's story:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/briansolomon/2014/02/12/king-of-craft-beer-how-sierra-nevada-is-winning-the-hops-war/
Jack of Hearts

Sat 15 Feb, 2014 03:43 pm
@maltecozar,

I don't apologize for being pedestrian, I like Coors Banquet Beer longnecks. Why? Because no other beer likes me back so much, (actually I think this beer, at times, loves me.) Crisp, light on the tongue, very clean and not 'complex', and it gets you drunk as fast as any other beer, (maybe a bit faster because it's easy to gulp).
Yeah, yeah, I know it's Lite beer is like making love in a canoe, ( fuckin' close to water). But unless I doing shots, there is absolutely no hangover!
anonymously99

Sat 15 Feb, 2014 04:46 pm
@Jack of Hearts,
Quote:
(maybe a bit faster because it's easy to gulp)

Any beer is easy to gulp you idiot! Haha. Just *******.

I would not advise making love in a canoe. That is what beds are for.

Showers and bathtubs, bathtubs with/without a lot of bubbles, are nice.

Throw some candles in and maybe some wine to make it seem romantic. Shocked - as I start to feel sick at the thought of romance.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sat 15 Feb, 2014 05:35 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman, You'd better be right about Pale Ale, because I just came home with a 12-bottle carton of the stuff. Will try my 1st one tonight. If you're wrong, I'm coming over to bonk you over the head with all the bottle caps!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sat 15 Feb, 2014 05:42 pm
@Ragman,
Interesting Forbe's article; thanks for sharing that. Now, for that taste test. Mr. Green
Ragman

Sun 16 Feb, 2014 07:59 am
@cicerone imposter,
I'd be interested in hearing what you have to say about what your taste buds say. I'll comment afterward what I liked about it ... over the other premium (easy-to-find) beers. As I wrote before... my preference in the every-day beers, it's Yuengling's lager.

Forbes article provides the business angle on how this beer industry and tastes are changing.

Now..speaking of changing tastes, ... watching ancient cable TV reruns...Petticoat Junction
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sun 16 Feb, 2014 08:06 am
I saw this film on the telly when I was a kid, it was old even then.
0 Replies

panzade

Mon 17 Feb, 2014 06:49 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Sierra Nevada

After trying them all...I settled on ...Torpedo
Ragman

Mon 17 Feb, 2014 06:54 am
@panzade,
I like Torpedo, too. When I buy SN, I often switch between those 2 (Pale Ale and Torpedo).

So, CI, did you like Pale Ale?
farmerman

Mon 17 Feb, 2014 07:00 am
@Ragman,
Im gonna have to break my fast and TRY a Sierra Nevada Ale with some indigenous food , like a cheese steak.
As far as TV , we have 2 "Ancient TV channels" that play these old westerns nd comedies.
I watched a few episodes of "have Gun will Travel" ;st summer on COZI network. It was almost laughable . The problem was that they tried to force too much to happen in a half-hour long show.

Apparently, in the early days tv was first "fishing round" to try to bottom out where the audiences interest and intelligence really was.
On our Pa cable network station they have an archive of shows from the late 40.s and early 50's . There even was a show about archeological finds in which several experts would be empaneled and they would go over some piece of an artifact and discuss it to death. This show was before my time but I was told it came from the U of Pa nd The Peabody museums nd was quite populR. (MAYBE because nothing else , besides test patterns were on the air during those years)

I love anything by Ernie Kovacs, and John Zacherly, as well as Mystery SCience Theater 3000
Ragman

Mon 17 Feb, 2014 07:08 am
@farmerman,
That sounds good. Also good with spicy chili.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 17 Feb, 2014 11:33 am
@farmerman,
Try? You've never had Sierra Nevada ale before?
I tried it at room temp and also cold, but found the taste somewhat overwhelming to have with mild foods such as fish. The taste? Not that good based on my beer tasting from around the world.

I still have 10-bottles that I'll try to polish off in the next week or so, and that'll be my final taste test of Sierra Nevada.
Ragman

Mon 17 Feb, 2014 12:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
ahhhah!...So many individual tastes. That's why there are so many varieties of beers and ales.
Perhaps you're not a big fan of Pale Ales? Are there any Pale Ales you've liked better?

While I think it's an interesting test of a beer's qualities, I've never tried SN Pale Ale ay room temp. I've always had it refrigerated around 45 deg f.

On a whole different note brew tastes entirely, I've been a big fan of this Belgian Ale...Leffe Blonde Blond (Abbey) Ale. Available in most large stores with a foreign beer section.
cicerone imposter

Mon 17 Feb, 2014 12:11 pm
@Ragman,
No, I'm not a fan of pale ales, but here's a rating chart on American pale ales, and Sierra Nevada isn't even in the top 50!

http://www.beeradvocate.com/lists/style/97/
Ragman

Mon 17 Feb, 2014 12:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I'm not a fan of the merit of those ratings, I know, as an example, I can cook a pretty tasty meal for 10 people and when asked honestly...there'll be 11 different opinions...none of which agree about what they either liked or disliked. Of course, the dead can tell no tales.

However, open-minded as I am about beer and ale, I'll look this list over and see which ones it rates highest.

{Edit: FWIW, I've heard of none of these Beers and Ales. However, I'm going to compare same with same by limiting the search to domestic brews and see what I can find.}
0 Replies

Ragman

Mon 17 Feb, 2014 12:40 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Interestingly, the fact that SN Pale Ale does not show up in that Top 50 list is somewhat misleading. The beers and ales that this Beer Advocate reviews are from microbreweries that I think are just not available in most metropolitan areas. I've not heard of 95% of them. Has anyone else heard of many of them in that list?

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/140/276/

With nearly 7000 reviewers, the review of SN Pale ale states:
outstanding

I just learned something new about ales: certain brews/ales don't have a long shelf life. Wen you buy them, a few weeks is ok...but 4 months is not. Sometimes you have no idea how long it's sat on the shelf (date codes are in code) and whether or not it's gotten exposed to temps wings and gotten skunky.
cicerone imposter

Mon 17 Feb, 2014 01:16 pm
@Ragman,
Two things: 1) any poll taken are the result of those polls whether they contacted 100 or 10,000 people. That WAS the result. How accurate they are is for people to challenge them with their own poll or other reliable pollsters.
2) as I've said many times before, every individual has different taste buds - likes and dislikes for food or drinks. I just don't care for Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I love to taste the food I'm eating - and not dominated by the drink.
Ragman

Mon 17 Feb, 2014 02:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Got it. All about individual tastes.