which beer is the best in the world?

ossobuco

Mon 2 Sep, 2013 11:16 am
@cicerone imposter,
I know that painting not personally as in seeing it, but from buying a poster of it at Campbell's book store in Westwood back when I was twenty - and you know how long ago that was. I took it home and varnished it (what ever was I thinking? a poster is a poster) and put it up on my wall. Alas, Campbell's is decades gone from there.

Mmmm, I like her shoes. . .
izzythepush

Mon 2 Sep, 2013 11:54 am
@ossobuco,
Neither absinth or absinthe were ever banned in the UK it was never a problem over here. The Czech absinth has far greater thujone content than French absinthe, although both are highly alcoholic, 60% plus.

In France, absinthe was considered an aperitif, and it was bad form to have more than one, so a tradition emerged of moving down the avenue and having an absinthe in every restaurant.
izzythepush

Mon 2 Sep, 2013 11:56 am
@izzythepush,
And the beer comes in litres.

http://s3-media3.ak.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/2j82f-FdW528AYBLa0AHpw/l.jpg
ossobuco

Mon 2 Sep, 2013 02:32 pm
@izzythepush,
That looks good to me right now. 86 degrees in the house. Time to put the swamp cooler on for a few hours.
0 Replies

panzade

Sun 8 Sep, 2013 04:54 pm
Shocking discovery! I didn't have time to cool down some Sierra Nevada Torpedos. So I popped a top on a room temperature one and the flavor ...was intense. Like a fine wine with a prominent bouquet.
Gonna try this more often

dalehileman

Mon 9 Sep, 2013 10:52 am
@panzade,
Pan I can't imagine drinking it warm but I'd agree on Torpedo as prime contender for the title
izzythepush

Mon 9 Sep, 2013 11:19 am
@dalehileman,
Lots of beers are best enjoyed at cellar temperature. That's what the whole real ale movement's about.
Ragman

Mon 9 Sep, 2013 12:06 pm
@izzythepush,
Eggs-ack-lee..perhaps around 55-58 deg f

Gonna try that 'speriment.. It'll be my first time trying a Torpedo. Going to the store now.
Ragman

Mon 9 Sep, 2013 02:05 pm
@Ragman,
OK..the speriment is complete. I've just bought two 6-pk of Torpedos. I took a room temp Torpedo and added it to a frosty mug. It's jes fine'.

However, I'm still partial to Belgian Leffe Blonde and other Belgian IPAs. I'll need to try one of these Torpedoes when their cooler to see how it stacks up against some of the Belgian others.
panzade

Mon 9 Sep, 2013 02:07 pm
@Ragman,
Heating up last night's pork lo mein delivery. Think I'll join you.
Ragman

Mon 9 Sep, 2013 02:14 pm
@panzade,
I just heated up some Thai curry with Jasmine rice and shrimp from yesterday's family get-together at a local Thai-sushi restaurant. I'd better try torpedo number 2..this curry is mui caliente.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 10 Sep, 2013 01:44 pm
I've just had a bottle of this while watching the footie. Pretty pokey at 11%.
http://www.belgianbeercafe.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/detailed_list/kasteel-tripel.png

Now I'm going to try this.
http://vicaris.be/online/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/vicaris_generaal1.gif

Not so strong at 8.5%
0 Replies

glitterbag

Tue 10 Sep, 2013 09:18 pm
@maltecozar,
Has anyone mentioned Natty Bo?????? There are a few natty Bo groups that meet on certain days of the week , don't ask me, I'm just the messenger. I remember my grandfather would have buckets of ice with Natty Bo when we gathered at various beach homes.
Ticomaya

Tue 10 Sep, 2013 10:52 pm
@glitterbag,
No, this is the "best" beer thread.
glitterbag

Wed 11 Sep, 2013 02:48 am
@Ticomaya,
I know, grand dad is long gone and I don't think imported beer or micro brews were feasible for people of modest means.
izzythepush

Wed 11 Sep, 2013 03:08 am
@glitterbag,
Over here American beer was considered universally bad for a long time. Our beer looked like it was heading the same way until CAMRA started campaigning for real ale. The microbrewery movement in America has taken a leaf out of CAMRA's book, and American beer now can stand with the rest of them.

Having said that, at the beer shop I frequent Belgian beer has more shelves than any other.
glitterbag

Wed 11 Sep, 2013 11:51 am
@izzythepush,
Well I am not a beer aficionado, but frosty cold beer is great on a hot day. I can't drink beer that's bitter, it's like an instant headache. But tastes vary greatly, and I'm a firm believer in drinking what you like.

When it comes to alcohol, I only have a few absolute no no's. Drinking faux pas perhaps. 1. Absolutely no wine coolers 2. Fussy vodka. 3. Grown ups drinking margaritas thru tiny straws. (Here in Annapolis we see many sailors, midshipmen in uniform sipping margaritas or anything thru tiny straws drives me crazy. If you are old enough to drink, drink like an adult )
izzythepush

Wed 11 Sep, 2013 11:55 am
@glitterbag,
Don't straws keep the ice cubes off your teeth?
panzade

Wed 11 Sep, 2013 12:32 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
tiny straws

They're actually called stirrers and a tarbender told me they do keep the cold from sensitive teeth. They're also used to count the number of drinks you've had so they can call a cab.

I tried the Belgian brew but I'm not too fond of it; for a break from IPA I'd rather have a Boddington's at Middleton's

http://pubcrawls.com/images/venues/middleton-tavern-1.jpg[/b]
glitterbag

Wed 11 Sep, 2013 09:13 pm
@panzade,
That's Middletons Tavern, built during Colonial times. When we got married we headed to Middleton's for a small reception. Very very small, we got married at the courthouse. It was Feb 1st 1979, and the temp was about 25-26 degrees and windy. Snow was on the ground and the wind whipped it in our faces making it feel even colder. I drank hot buttered rum to get warm and I know they made the table side spinach salad with homemade crotons (devine). They had a great fire going and Middleton's is still a great restaurant. We've celebrated most of our anniversaries there, I haven't ordered the hot buttered rum in a long time.

And you are correct, the tiny straws are actually stirrers, not meant to be used as straws. All the more reason they annoy me mightily. It looks flat ridiculous to sip anything thru them. If you have lips, that's all the protection you need from the ice cubes. Better yet, have it straight up or neat, no ice cubes to deal with.