which beer is the best in the world?

cicerone imposter

Sun 1 Sep, 2013 03:45 pm
@izzythepush,
We'll also be in Prague (for 3 nights) in November and wondered if you can recommend some interesting drinks. Our group going on the cruise are all drinkers, so we're always looking for some good ones.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sun 1 Sep, 2013 03:45 pm
@izzythepush,
We'll also be in Prague (for 3 nights) in November and wondered if you can recommend some interesting drinks. Our group going on the cruise are all drinkers, so we're always looking for some good ones.
ossobuco

Sun 1 Sep, 2013 03:54 pm
@izzythepush,
It might improve cheap vodka but it takes a hell of a long time. Though I did like the limoncello I made once; you do that with lemon peels, if I remember.

Chances of my getting an exotic eau de vie de poire here are dim, and the french poire is out of my league. I've enough on my plate without fermenting pears to try to make my own. I did taste a poire from Oregon once; forget the name of the purveyor but it might have been that Clear Creek company. Pretty tasty but not what I remember of the high end french stuff.
izzythepush

Sun 1 Sep, 2013 03:57 pm
@cicerone imposter,
If you really want to experience something very different, but quite pricey, try the absinth with a high thujone content. This one has 100mg/l. In America the highest you can legally get is less than 10mg/l. Make sure you ask for gold though, the non gold is not as strong thujone wise.
http://www.absintshop.com/images/products/lightbox/absinth-king-of-spirits-gold.jpg
izzythepush

Sun 1 Sep, 2013 03:58 pm
@ossobuco,
limoncello is a liqueur though, you'd have a lot more success making that.
glitterbag

Sun 1 Sep, 2013 04:06 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Good info; thanks for sharing. Swee kah. Drunk Drunk Drunk

Just a caution, I've only had the sample from my language teacher. Hopefully the stuff made in Romania is better than the tuica we had in language class. It seemed more like grain alcohol and I was only able to take a sip. I think this stuff could remove paint. That said, if I can find a bottle from Eastern Europe I will try it again. I would love to hear if you find it and what you think.
Ticomaya

Sun 1 Sep, 2013 04:08 pm
When did this become the "booze" thread? Drunk Drunk

It's all about BEER!

Picked up a 10-pack of Newcastle 14.9 oz cans for a song. Talk about quaffable.
ossobuco

Sun 1 Sep, 2013 04:13 pm
@izzythepush,
They list three types of recipes and the simplest one is like the limoncello except you have to have a wider bottle opening to put the whole pear in after you prick it several times with a fork.

All my wide mouthed glass containers have various flours in them, so, hah, that would involve purchasing new equipment. A trip to World Market would take care of that. Pear season is coming up, so what the hell...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 1 Sep, 2013 04:14 pm
@Ticomaya,
It's all Izzy's fault, he started it.
glitterbag

Sun 1 Sep, 2013 04:20 pm
@ossobuco,
Busted
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sun 1 Sep, 2013 04:25 pm
@izzythepush,
I'm not looking to commit suicide! Absinth has been outlawed in the US until 2007, and now market lower thujone levels.

Side effects can be strange; van Gogh cut his ear, and Hemingway committed suicide, and they were absinth drinkers!

cicerone imposter

Sun 1 Sep, 2013 04:27 pm
@glitterbag,
I drink vodka and rum straight up, so I can handle most strong beverages.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sun 1 Sep, 2013 04:27 pm
@Ticomaya,
You sure that wasn't 14.9% alcohol? LOL
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sun 1 Sep, 2013 05:51 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I've only cut off one of my ears, and my numerous suicide attempts have all been unsuccessful.

I'm not telling you to drink it regularly, just try three shots of gold and you won't need much else.
cicerone imposter

Sun 1 Sep, 2013 06:06 pm
@izzythepush,
Still will need a grave, heh? LOL
izzythepush

Mon 2 Sep, 2013 03:24 am
@cicerone imposter,
You asked if I could recommend something special for a trip to Prague. What's special is the thujone levels in Czech absinth.

The beer is pretty good though, Pilsner Urquell or original Budweiser.
cicerone imposter

Mon 2 Sep, 2013 10:24 am
@izzythepush,
Absinth is a somewhat scary drink for chickens like me! I understand the buzz lasts about half an hour after drinking.

Also, on the other side of the coin, we don't hear much (in the media) about the bad consequences from drinking absinth.

We'll see.
ossobuco

Mon 2 Sep, 2013 10:51 am
@cicerone imposter,
Worth reading to the end, CI -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absinthe

a bit of Degas while you sip:

http://www.canvasreplicas.com/images/Absinthe%20Drinker%20in%20a%20Cafe%20Edgar%20Degas.jpg

Ragman

Mon 2 Sep, 2013 11:11 am
@cicerone imposter,
Methinks that Absinth doesn't make the heart grow fonder.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 2 Sep, 2013 11:12 am
@ossobuco,
Thanks, osso, that's interesting info. One of my favorite museums in Paris is Musee d'Orsay, but I don't remember Degas' L'Absinthe. I remember his sculpture of the ballerina.

I usually try anything "once." Maybe this will be my opportunity to try absinth in Prague. Our group going on this cruise are "real" drinkers.