which beer is the best in the world?

ossobuco

Sun 1 Sep, 2013 09:26 am
@panzade,
Cuba libres used to involve some dancing to a band at the olden LA Ambassador Hotel, may it rest in peace.

http://www.goodfoodpreservation.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Ambassador-Hotel-LA-Cons..jpg
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sun 1 Sep, 2013 10:05 am
@panzade,
Just checking my rums now, not that impressive, I'm afraid. The dark rum is from Aldi, but I've got a Sailor Jerry, Cockspur and a white Havana Club. The two dark rums are Ron palma Mulata de Cuba and old Hopking, which sounds more like a dark beer.
panzade

Sun 1 Sep, 2013 11:05 am
@izzythepush,
All unknown to me.
Boy it would be wonderful to sit down with you and sample rims.
Maybe if I win the Lottery
izzythepush

Sun 1 Sep, 2013 11:23 am
@panzade,
The two dark rums are from a cheap supermarket. Sailor Jerry is a spiced rum with vanilla tones, it's very nice. Cockspur is a lot like Mount Gay, and Havana Club is Cuban which is probably why you can't get it.

You're more than welcome to go rimming over here whether or not you win the lottery.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Sun 1 Sep, 2013 11:44 am
@ossobuco,
I'm with Osso on gin. Used to have occasional gin & tonic in the summer months, but really don't like the juniper taste or smell. Never drink it now. As far as Vodka, I really don't like the berry, chocolate or other flavored vodkas. I don't have a clue why they have become so popular. I occasionally enjoy Jameson's neat or Dewers neat, but for some reason only when it's very cold or cold and drizzly.
panzade

Sun 1 Sep, 2013 12:04 pm
@glitterbag,
My choice of alcohol is squarely based on my teen years.
My first experiment with alcohol was with Grand Marnier. It was not successful so I stay away from cordials.

My second was with Bourbon and pretzels so I stay away from both.

My late teens were spent in Wales where Vodka Gimlets were in with my classmates. Still like one once in a while.

A club owner in Annapolis Maryland made me a Meyers Rum and Coke and that became my go to drink.

Gin? Yuck
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sun 1 Sep, 2013 12:17 pm
@glitterbag,
Vodka is one of my hard liquor favorites - without anything added except chilled with ice. Olives of coarse! I like Grey Goose at the bar but will drink other brands when I buy a bottle.
izzythepush

Sun 1 Sep, 2013 02:00 pm
@cicerone imposter,
This stuff is brilliant. Pear eu de vie. Incredibly quaffable.

http://m.vcst.net/wines/vilmos-eredeti-437154.jpg
cicerone imposter

Sun 1 Sep, 2013 02:06 pm
@izzythepush,
I'll be in Budapest in November, so I'll make a hard copy of your picture and take it with me. Thx.
ossobuco

Sun 1 Sep, 2013 02:10 pm
@izzythepush,
Is that like Poire? You know I love Poire!

Uh oh, that gives me ideas.
izzythepush

Sun 1 Sep, 2013 02:13 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You'll probably be able to get this as well, I like the Czech one, but they make it all over the Balkans.
http://www.rjelinek.us/img/head/slivovitz_white.jpg
izzythepush

Sun 1 Sep, 2013 02:14 pm
@ossobuco,
It is very much like poire, almost identical in fact, but it's about half the price of the French poire.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sun 1 Sep, 2013 02:15 pm
@izzythepush,
I love plum. Should be a winner. Another pix to take with me. LOL
izzythepush

Sun 1 Sep, 2013 02:20 pm
@cicerone imposter,
In France they make eu de vie with all manner of fruits, but in East Europe they tend to concentrate and do it well. You may not be able to get Czech slivovitz like in the picture. Here's a picture of Hungarian slivovitz. They'll probably tell you it's the best anyway.

http://gulfaltonroad.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/h/u/hungarian_slivovitz_plum_brandy_750ml.jpg

I've not had it, I've had Croatian and Czech, and there's not a lot of difference between the two.
cicerone imposter

Sun 1 Sep, 2013 02:31 pm
@izzythepush,
I've tasted plum wine from Japan, but that was many decades ago. I've been drinking all manners of domestic and foreign wines, beer, and vodka during my travels. In Cuba, we mostly drink Bucanero (beer), rum, mojito, and daiquiri. We usually have wine with dinner from South America and Spain.

0 Replies

glitterbag

Sun 1 Sep, 2013 03:01 pm
@izzythepush,
The word used in Romania for plum brandy is tuica (pronounced swee kah). Our language instructor introduced the word in a lesson on food/meals. I mentioned I had never tasted tuica so she brought us some the next day. I don't know if is anything like you and Osso have tried, but this stuff was STRONG. I think it could have been homemade, something like honest to god moonshine. It seemed to practically sink thru my tongue like vapors. I should try to find some by actual distilleries and see if it's better.
cicerone imposter

Sun 1 Sep, 2013 03:09 pm
@glitterbag,
Good info; thanks for sharing. Swee kah. Drunk Drunk Drunk
izzythepush

Sun 1 Sep, 2013 03:10 pm
@glitterbag,
It's probably the same stuff, a lot of individuals have funny arrangements with the locality to distil spirits.

When I was in Crete I came home with a 2l Fanta bottle full of raki. Over there a distillery is charged per day its ovens are being used. So when all the grapes have been crushed all the farms bring the pulp to the distillery which keeps going around the clock to make as much raki as possible. When the fires go out they're not lit again for another year.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 1 Sep, 2013 03:35 pm
@izzythepush,
Hmmm. The impecunius one here is wondering if you can use pears and sugar in vodka and store for a few months, as you do if you are making limoncello, or, for that matter, faux Tia Maria/Kahlua.

Hmmm:

http://candlewineproject.wordpress.com/2010/09/09/pears-in-alcohol/
izzythepush

Sun 1 Sep, 2013 03:42 pm
@ossobuco,
That's a sloe gin type liqueur. I've done a similar thing with pineapple and brandy. It's not the same as an eu de vie. My dad did a similar thing with plums and brandy and called it slivovitz. I didn't realise how wrongly he had used the word until I went to Prague.