If U Coud Live in a Different Century, Which 'd u Choose?

farmerman

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 04:01 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
there is a .50 caliber rifle that absorbs its recoil
inside the piece n deflects the shells downward
Using a Barrett for hunting is a bit "overkill" even with megafauna. Im looking for sport and food, Im not gonna become a sniper in my own fantasy.

Im afraid that, with a Barrett, Id be slaughtering just because I comfortably could and the hunt wouldnt exact any tribute of me.Also I dont want to become an environmental impact even as Im trying to live along side all these animals. Im only interested in taking a few for supper. Trophy hunting is an insanity practiced by overmonied idiots. Ive known a few trophy hunters and they were all assholes (IMHO)
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 06:44 am
@farmerman,
David wrote:
there is a .50 caliber rifle that absorbs its recoil
inside the piece n deflects the shells downward
farmerman wrote:
Using a Barrett for hunting is a bit "overkill" even with megafauna.
Im looking for sport and food
Who do u wanna shoot ?
farmerman

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 11:05 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Who do u wanna shoot ?
I think I was pretty clear above. BUT, just one more time. I will be using the rifle for hunting for food . Food consists of species extant during the Pliocene. I also do not wish to become food for some of the larger carnivores of the time. A .338 will do fine, a >50 cal Barrett is a pain. (HAve you ever seen one? they are like a punt gun)
farmerman

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 11:08 am
@farmerman,
A punt gun in action
     http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ykCVHb0uDog/TbRV4S4V9kI/AAAAAAAAAlU/QEQw96Edr5I/s1600/01.jpg
raprap

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 12:20 pm
@farmerman,
Usually the were used in a Punt Boathttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/-eFLXk_VS1o8/TbRV3nGvPQI/AAAAAAAAAk8/1jHYfYxlcXs/s400/04.jpg

Rap
farmerman

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 04:11 pm
@raprap,
James Michener gave a sizeable portion of his book Chesapeake over to punt guns and the commercial duck trade serving hotel restaurants in DC, Baltimore and Philly.

A volunteer fired a punt gun from a Jersey "sneak boat" one summer at a picnic for Ducks Unlimited. The recoil sent the sneak boat back about 50 feet.

The suburban tale that they would load their punts with rocks and nails was a lie because the packing of the shot followed a large cotton wad after the powder load. The shot needed to be nested so that there were no air spaces and the shot was tamped down with another wad, this one made of paper.

hitory.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 04:18 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Id like to live in the early Pliocene (with a coupla full clips)

Have you read Julian May?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 04:25 pm
There are many past times which I would like to visit, but none in which I would want to live. A world without antibiotics would have killed me very early in my life.

I would also like to visit the future, but there is no guarantee that the future will not mirror the past. I certainly don't want to find myself in the 31st century if mankind has reverted to primitive ways.

I also don't understand the allure of living a very short life span in a world that has been cleansed of humans.

I suppose those who do would feel content having their earthly remains enter the Circle of Life through the **** of some Alpha predator.

farmerman

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 04:35 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I made it through one of Jean Auels books (Clan of...) and wasnt impressed. My desire to live in the Pliocene is as a vacation, in which I would be the top predator. (Thats what the 338 is about).

I wpould love to see a world before humans had modified it. I would want to see the Appalachians where it was said a squirrel could travel from NY to Arkansa without ever touching the ground. Id love to see mammoths and Mmastodons , glyptodons, smilodons, titanotheres, dire wolves and shortfaced bears. I want to see the few incoming meteorites in the Chesapeake and the CUmberland pass.

Id say that if you dont care for adventure, you arent much for travel either. Thats why theres many flavors from which to choose.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 04:44 pm
@farmerman,
Try Julian May.

Her Pliocene Saga actually puts modern humans back in that age...with the wherewithal to be the top predator...(except for the aliens who share the time with them!)

Sounds sillier than it is, and vastly better than the tripe Auel wrote.
farmerman

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 04:55 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Its like a series right? Pliocene sags is the series name?
If the library has it or I can download it Ill try it on my Nook. Otherwise, maybe not.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 03:07 am
@farmerman,
David wrote:
Who do u wanna shoot ?
farmerman wrote:
I think I was pretty clear above. BUT, just one more time. I will be using the rifle for hunting for food.
Food consists of species extant during the Pliocene.
This means that u r going to pop-off, indiscriminately at whatever moves ??
U don 't care what u eat ?

farmerman wrote:
I also do not wish to become food for some of the larger carnivores of the time.
A .338 will do fine, a >50 cal Barrett is a pain. (HAve you ever seen one? they are like a punt gun)
The M107 ?
From Wikipedia:
"The Barrett M107 is a .50 caliber, shoulder fired, semi-automatic sniper rifle.
Like its predecessors the rifle is said to have manageable recoil
for a weapon of its size owing to the barrel assembly that itself absorbs force,
moving inward toward the receiver against large springs with every shot.
Additionally the weapon's weight and large muzzle brake also assist in recoil reduction."
farmerman

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 05:00 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
This means that u r going to pop-off, indiscriminately at whatever moves ??
U don 't care what u eat ?

How you got that conclusion from what I wrote leads me to believe that you were not too practiced in forensic "exegetics" while you practised as a lawyer. How did you even reach that conclusion? Or didnt you read what I wrote?
"popping off indiscriminantly" is always something we shoild avoid while holding a weapon. Ive learned, since I was a kid, that the tool of hunting can also kill people and our hunting party was always being trimmed of sloppy gun handlers and "trigger-happy" individuals who would fire when unsure of their target. When I was a kid, my father told his own brother-in-law that he was not welcome in our hunting party because he was unsafe and a selfish hunter who cared not for anyones safety whenever he had a pheasant in his sights(and it didnt matter whether the pheasant was sitting tight or was flushed).
I posted a story (several years ago) about how my dads B-I-L fired into a clump of bushes where our dog was holding point. He fired right over the dogs head into a clump of honey suckle and the dog couldnt hear commands for several days. That wasnt the event that got him banned , as it was my moms brother and mt dad tried to be diplomatic at first. I was 11 years old at the time and learned some interesting things about "gun nuts", They will always be among us and they are a danger to hunters and passersby.
The denoument of the B-I-L story is that he finally shot his foot badly while climbing a fence holding his shotgun as he climbed . He lost two toes and was never asked to be in anybodies hunting parties afterwards. He took up ice fishing in later life and was not able to hurt anyone in that sport. The hell of it was that he never realized EVER, that he was a menace.

In my own Pliocene adventure, I would choose my food species(probably an ungulate or a ratite bird). The rest would be bivalves and fish(which, unless you are still confused, are usually NOT collected using weapons).
Enjoy your day.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 05:08 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
"The Barrett M107 is a .50 caliber, shoulder fired, semi-automatic sniper rifle
Ive never seen anyone fire this gun in a standing position. Ive only seen it fired using a tripod or bipod. Im fairly substantial and I think Id have trouble holding it steady in the stand fire position. I dont know, I would like to fire one and see if My range sense can overcome that "mile barrier" for this gun.

I want a gun that is big enough to handle my target, and is light enough to carry with a sling. Also, .50 cal ammo aint a beebee . Them shells is huge. I cant see me schlepping the Pliocene countrysisde with a gross of 50 cal shells AQND a big gun like that. (not to mention the scope, tripod etc. Nope, Ill go for my .338 (Im also quite proficient with it so I know its quirks and its effective range, something neither you nor I have any idea about with the Barrett.

ALTHOUGH I admire the features of the BArrett, Im gonna let it go for its primary mission, snipering. Im gonna get as close to my target as I can, its the best hunting tip I can convey
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 12:07 pm

I remember the first time I fired an M-79 Grenade Launcher (property of US Army).
We were up above quite a high cliff. There were some 50 gallon steel drums of water below
and about 1/4 mile forward. It was a thrill when I aimed from the shoulder
and hit it with the first shot: HUGE water explosion on target.

That was when I lived in a different century.

David
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 07:16 pm
@farmerman,
It's a series. Three or four books.

Your library may not have it, but Barnes & Noble should.

farmerman

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 07:31 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I found em and Ive downloaded two onto a Nook. Ill read em when Im down at the beach. I love adventures in ancient lands but not like"Clan of the Cave Bear" too much.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 07:54 pm
@farmerman,
They are nothing like Clan of Cave Bear crap.
0 Replies

Artificial

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 08:20 pm
My thirst for knowledge leads me to say: The last century available before human is extinct.

But then again, forwards time travel is not exactly impossible (or at least will be made possible in the future, with length contraction and time dilation - THANKS EINSTEIN!) so I'll probably go for the 13th or 14th instead - I really want to be a pirate.
0 Replies

bobbyjoe49

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 08:39 pm
i would like to go back to 1861 because my great great grandfather and his wife lived in north carolina at that time when they came in 1800 from raleigh and his family was a pastor of a church founded in 1834 i would go there to learn about thier daily live the way they lived everyday and what they ate daily too i know they would see me because they are real people, the time is real also, they would not know i am thier descendant unless i told them. but i did attempt to try going back in time i am not so sure how it works or what to do if i really want to do this its my wish, thats what i want to do for real no joke