How to create a thriving settlement 100k years in the past?

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2020 09:09 pm
If I had a Star Gate like machine that could take a group of people to a time in the past.
I would take my group to Australia - 100,000BC

It is widely accepted that human habitation of Australia did not begin until 50,000 to 60,000 BC and while the Native Australian population flourished between then and European settlement, Australia was not settled by European entities until 1788. Therefore, we would have approx 30,000 - 40,000 years before the arrival of Native Australians and almost 100,000 years before European settlement.

Given we have a Star Gate like structure, in which we could only open once. So, once there. We are completely on our own. We could take supplies and necessities through and our arrival was without complication.

What would it take for our small community to not only survive but thrive? Please add to the following or “constructively” criticise any of the following.

1. We would need to decide on the amount of people to go. Fracturing in genetics. The fact that more mouths to feed initially would require greater initial effort. Many hands makes work lighter, etc.

2. We would need to carefully select the location.
2a. Should the landing location be a coastal location? So, fishing in the early settlement days could be a source of food, until we establish a sustainable food production operation?

3. What would all settlers be required to carry with them?

4. What type of professions would you have among the group.
4a. ex. Doctors, engineers, etc.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 659 • Replies: 2
No top replies

thegreatgatsbo

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2021 01:22 am
@CuriousBond007,
i quite liked that sci-fi series where this was postulated , i wasnt sure about the fence and the dinosaurs. the past is not as bad as what it seems now , really once a talentual judgement is made on osthilics principles , this will be more apparent , and it wont be scary or frightening in the obvious gut feeling ways. Though you may need a spare pair of underpants thinking about it.
The Anointed

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2021 02:18 am
@thegreatgatsbo,
Earlier today I met a bloke who reckons he was a time traveller and was stuck, because he needed as small part to fix his Time machine, and he wanted 10 dollars as he had no money according to current time he was stuck in.

He offered to sell me a small portable Time Transporter for the 10 dollars.

Well, I considered it was a con job, but if he could make up a yarn like that in order to get ten dollars, he must have really needed that money so I went along with it.

Now I’m home sitting at the table with the little computer thingy before me, which is wired to a helmet that I have put on my head. I know that it’s not going to work, but, just in case it does, I’ll only program the computer to take me back 5 minutes in time.

Now I’m home sitting at the table with the little computer thingy before me, which is wired to a helmet that I have put on my head. I know that it’s not going to work, but, just in case it does, I’ll only program the computer to take me back 5 minutes in time.

0 Replies