Best Time Travel Movies

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 11:19 am
What are the best time travel movies ever made? Please, nothing that sucks. I'll get the ball rolling.

The Time Machine (1960)
The Terminator (1984)
Timecop (1994)
Frequency (2000) - actually more time communications than travel
Deja Vu (2006)

Ragman

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 11:57 am
@Brandon9000,
Back to the Future: Entertaining but not in same category with Time Machine (1960)
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 12:13 pm
@Brandon9000,
Hands down...

...The Thirteenth Floor.

Then The Terminator.
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 12:41 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Hands down...

...The Thirteenth Floor.

Then The Terminator.

Every time I watch the "The Thirteenth Floor," I like it more, although it's not strictly speaking time travel. Good theme by The Cardigans.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 01:37 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Hands down...

...The Thirteenth Floor.

Then The Terminator.

Every time I watch the "The Thirteenth Floor," I like it more, although it's not strictly speaking time travel. Good theme by The Cardigans.

I guess it is more "dimension" than "time" travel...but same kinda theme. Super movie...very excellent acting...and great script. And Gretchen Mol looking spectacular.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 02:29 pm
@Brandon9000,
Primer (it suffers from production values, and complexity, but it's still good)
Star Trek IV
Looper (Time travel rules seem a bit loose)
Terminator II
Butterfly Effect (Suffers from being an Ashton Kutcher vehicle, but the Director's Cut ending is truly haunting)
Groundhog Day
rosborne979

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 02:38 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
What are the best time travel movies ever made? Please, nothing that sucks. I'll get the ball rolling.

The Terminator.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 02:43 pm
@DrewDad,
Ooo!

Time Bandits!
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 10:53 pm
"The Lake House"
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2013 04:20 am
Time After Time.
sana ali

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2013 11:33 pm
@izzythepush,
nice shearing
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 12:15 am
Kate and Leopold

the one, whose name I forget, where H.G. Wells himself really did invent a time machine. Jack the Ripper, a noted surgeon, was a friend of Wells in the movie. He steals the machine to escape, Wells follows him to 20th Century San Francisco and confronts him. "Jack" refuses to go back and utters the line which makes the movie a classic, "Back in our time, I was a monster. Here, I'm an amateur.".
izzythepush

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 01:52 am
@MontereyJack,
http://able2know.org/topic/221546-1#post-5428849
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 02:50 am
@Brandon9000,
Back to the Future
Peggy Sue got married
Frequency
The Lake House
It's a Wonderful Life
Brandon9000

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 04:03 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

Kate and Leopold

the one, whose name I forget, where H.G. Wells himself really did invent a time machine. Jack the Ripper, a noted surgeon, was a friend of Wells in the movie. He steals the machine to escape, Wells follows him to 20th Century San Francisco and confronts him. "Jack" refuses to go back and utters the line which makes the movie a classic, "Back in our time, I was a monster. Here, I'm an amateur.".

As already posted, Time After Time, based on the novel of the same name.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 04:05 am
@vonny,
vonny wrote:

Back to the Future
Peggy Sue got married
Frequency
The Lake House
It's a Wonderful Life

Good list! The all time classic, "It's Wonderful Life," is more about an "alternate reality."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 04:39 am
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court could have been a great time travel movie, but it starred Bing Crosby, and therefore, Hank Morgan was a "singing mechanic." (They changed the name from Hank Morgan to Hank Martin . . . maybe they were embarrassed.)

Clemens intended the novel as a harsh satire on not just ancient times, but on ruling classes in general. When one correspondent asked him if he could have written more, he replied that yes he could have, but that it would have taken a library of volumes and "a pen warmed up in Hell." Too bad no one has ever given the novel a good treatment.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 04:55 am
I never watched Sound of Thunder, but was told they botched that one.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 05:09 am
I'll second Drew Dad's mention of "Primer":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primer_(film)

This has gotta be one of the most complex and realistic attempts to portray the discovery of Time Travel technology that I've ever seen.

As far as movie "enjoyment" goes, Terminator is still the one, but for those who want to think about Time Travel try Primer. It's very low budget so there are no flashy graphics to watch. All the money goes into the story (which takes a couple of viewings at least to decipher).
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 06:14 am
Did we mention the OTHER "Star Trek" time travel movie, "First Contact", where Picard goes back and saves James Cromwell, Babe the pig's farmer-owner, who also creates the rocket which makes the whole "Star Trek" universe possible.