Let's flip Time Travel scenarios on their head.

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2023 08:32 am
Often people come up with the following time travel plans when talking about what they'd do if they could time travel.

So the rules here. Come up with your unorthodox time travel plans and maybe drop a few words on what you expect to be some of their consequences.

NO...
Traveling back in time to kill Hitler (or other infamous monster from the past);
Traveling back in time to buy/invest in ... say ... Apple or Microsoft stocks for your future/present day self;
etc....

Here's my opening proposition.

I will go back in time and save the regular, nonsupernatural human that is Jesus from being crucified and literally prevent the formation of the death cult that is Christianity.

Inspired by this Youtube short.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 577 • Replies: 18
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2023 09:17 am
@tsarstepan,
I would stop the BBC taping over Doctor Who and Pete and Dud.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2023 09:18 am
@tsarstepan,
Michael Moorcock's Behold the Man has similar themes.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2023 11:31 am
@tsarstepan,
So, what would you do with the spiritual plugged in Jesus? I’m confused.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2023 11:39 am
@glitterbag,
1. I'm an atheist. So I don't believe Jesus is supernatural.
2. I'd encourage him working as a carpenter.
3. Worse case scenario, I'd move him to a different region so most people in the middle east world would just forget about his so called adventures.

No crucifixion. No so called resurrection. No followers. No wildly myths perpetuated. Therefore, no Christian religion established.
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2023 03:56 pm
@tsarstepan,
Would one be stuck in the time they traveled to? If not, would one be able to take video recording equipment in this time travel?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2023 05:20 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

1. I'm an atheist. So I don't believe Jesus is supernatural.
2. I'd encourage him working as a carpenter.
3. Worse case scenario, I'd move him to a different region so most people in the middle east world would just forget about his so called adventures.

No crucifixion. No so called resurrection. No followers. No wildly myths perpetuated. Therefore, no Christian religion established.

As fake beliefs go, and I am completely an atheist, one where the founder himself said, "Love your enemies and do good to those who persecute you" could have been worse. Admittedly, it's been used countless times in the opposite way, but if you remove him from the equation, maybe the place is taken by worse things.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2023 01:38 am
@tsarstepan,
You'd have to go back a lot further than that.

The concept of a sacrificial god wasn't a new one when Jesus was crucified, so you would have to go back and stop, Marduk, Wotan and Osiris from sacrificing themselves.

Or most probably even further back than that to the first tribal leader, "god," who sacrificed himself to save the tribe

And even that might not do it, for all we know the concept is hard wired into our DNA as a survival tool.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2023 01:43 am
@Brandon9000,
There are lost religions too with charismatic figures like Jesus that died out.

There are lots of tiny sects in the Levant. One group, that still exists today, worships John the Baptist as messiah.

Had Christ not existed it is quite feasable that any of the lost religions would flourish instead, and they could be a lot worse that certain types of Christian.

There's a reason the VP is in charge of the space/time directive.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2023 12:16 pm
@izzythepush,
Should I tag this as "Not philosophy thread"? Supposed to be a lame word game.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2023 01:39 pm
@tsarstepan,
And then the dragons came!
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2023 04:37 am
@tsarstepan,
Have a word with yourself.

You never said this was a word game, you said it was about going back in time to make minor tweaks.

You said no Hitler killing or anything like that before saying how you would stop a major world event.

My initial post about BBC tapes was small changes.

Then, because people started taking your point seriously you suddenly did a volte face and claimed it was philosophy.

What I said about Marduk, Osiris and Wotan was not remotely philosophical it's factual, people believed all three gods sacrificed themselves before the crucifixion.

Also the fact that the ME is a hotbed of differing sects/ beliefs, and it is not inconceivable that if Christianity never caught on another would, especially as the Roman Empire was on the lookout for a state religion.

As you know Sol Invictus was the first attempt.

Basically, you didn't think through the consequences of stopping the crucifixion,nowthat has come back to bite you on the arse you're changing the rules.

For shame.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2023 07:48 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Have a word with yourself.

You never said this was a word game, you said it was about going back in time to make minor tweaks.

It was literally the first keyword/tag I added to the post before posting it.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2023 08:16 am
@tsarstepan,
I don't read the tags,I can't see how it would a word game anyway..

But you can't say don't do one major world event and then choose another one instead.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2023 04:21 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

So, I guess the rule is that no one may comment on any previous post - unless you agree with them, of course.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2023 09:38 am
@Brandon9000,
I thought the rule was that you demand the impossible then claim victory when it's not forthcoming.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2023 11:17 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

tsarstepan wrote:

So, I guess the rule is that no one may comment on any previous post - unless you agree with them, of course.

So, I guess literacy ain't a strength of yours. This was never meant to be some constipation level serious thread but a jokey one. I couldn't care about having a philosophy discussion here. Nothing to do with your shitty politics.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2023 12:50 pm
@tsarstepan,
Ok, I assassinate George Washington, result America gets decent healthcare.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2023 01:08 pm
@izzythepush,
And decent cherry trees.
0 Replies